"68 Fury fast top -- first drive in almost 20 years, plus headliner question

cld

Reaction score
So today I drove my '68 Fury III 383 on a paved public road for the first time in almost 20 years! Just an initial run to see how it feels, lots to do yet. Some butt pucker moments because the brakes have not been touched yet, but it's running pretty well. Just got the AFB rebuilt and it's not totally dialed in yet, still idles rough when warm. I was amazed how well the 727 shifts with just a fluid change; I figured it would slip or at least feel sloppy from sitting there so long.

I took it back into a shop I trust for the brakes... I am probably going to stick with basic maintenance/updates on the cylinders, shoes, etc and stick with drums all around, can't afford the disc conversion at the moment, plus it's just going to be a weekend cruiser and not a daily driver with the need for sudden stops in rush hour traffic. HEre are a few pix and a question below...

Here's a pic of its butt end with new 1968 original issue TX plates. I know the tailpipes look crappy; I will replace the whole system including new "Mopar hook" pipes as soon as I can.

68 rear w new plate.jpg

Here's the interior. The dash is fine, that's just a thick piece of cloth to protect it from the sun while it's sitting outside the shop. Please don't give me any crap about the tach! I put it in when I was 15. I may take that out soon. At least when I put it in I just used an existing trim screw, so there are no holes other than factory ones in the dash. The front seat is beat up and cracked; what you can see there is 22-year-old, faded, mouse-eaten JC Whitney velour (!). The back seat is in good shape.

68 int fr.jpg

Now for the question: would you say this is from a water leak or a possible mouse nest up under the headliner? I don't see anything on the outside of the top there. There have been other mouse nests under the seats and in the heat ducts (good lord, it smells horrific in the Texas heat; it's already 80 degrees here!). If it's a mouse nest, should I try to carefully peel the headliner down in that area so I can vacuum all the crap out, and then how would I reattach without f-ing up the headliner, which is otherwise in ok shape? Use a razor blade to pop some stitches and try to re-stitch? Make a discreet cut along the edge, clean out, then glue back in place?

Right now my gut says clean it as thoroughly as possible without opening it up and try to deodorize as best as I can. I've ordered some CSI-type corpse-stink remover so we'll see...

68 int headliner.jpg

Thanks
Chris

68 int fr.jpg

68 rear w new plate.jpg

68 int headliner.jpg

Nice looking ride, don't ever be ashamed of anything you put on or into your car if that is what you wanted. Keep it up and more pics of the car!!!! Looks to me like water, but I am far from an expert.

Nice Ride !!! :3gears: what Tach ????.... :poke:...........:eek:ops:

It looks like water, however mouse pee is also essentially water. Is the roof over that area feel crunchy under the vinyl top ? I have a very similar looking stain in my F350 but it is from a leaky gasket at the third brake light / cargo light unit.

Last edited:
I'll have to get back to the shop in a couple days and feel the roof there, although I'm afraid to...

That's a good point about the mouse pee, never thought about it that way.

Nice Plymouth indeed. I like the "boxy" shape of those years (67/68). Long and wide is the best.

Beautiful car. Why did she sit so long?

Life getting in the way. I bought her for 16 crisp hundred-dollar bills 22 years ago, when I was in high school (I put some posts in the Welcome Wagon area about it). I didn't have space or time or money to have a car at all when I was in college 500 miles from home, then graduate school 1500 miles away from home, then getting married and starting a family. She was in a shed on my parents' ranch in ND the whole time. Early on my dad would drive her now and then, but stopped a long time ago, and I was too far away and visited too rarely to feel like I could say anything about it without being a d!ck (since it was taking up his space, after all). I've been ratholing a few dollars here and there away for many years with the goal of bringing her back to life, and I finally did it. I've been wracked with guilt many times over the years when I would picture her rotting away in the shed, being eaten and shat upon by mice and whatnot, but now I've finally driven her again after all these years, and I can't stop smiling.

Of course, I almost hit someone at the gas station because the brakes gave out, but I'm still smiling, even about that.

That car is sweet and I have nothing bad to say about it. As far as the headliner goes its really not glued in place and I wouldn't try cutting into it. What I would do is carefully remove it if in fact there aren't any holes in your roof. It's held up by metal rods that go from side to side so I would remove all the trim from around the perimeter along with the dope scope. At this point you should be able to take it down by removing the rods from the keepers at either end and take it right out of the car for a gentle cleaning.

That car is sweet and I have nothing bad to say about it. As far as the headliner goes its really not glued in place and I wouldn't try cutting into it. What I would do is carefully remove it if in fact there aren't any holes in your roof. It's held up by metal rods that go from side to side so I would remove all the trim from around the perimeter along with the dope scope. At this point you should be able to take it down by removing the rods from the keepers at either end and take it right out of the car for a gentle cleaning.

What would you suggest for the cleaning? Soft brush with, what, diluted Dr. Bronner's or Simple Green or something? This particular headliner is gray mesh slightly rubbery-feeling stuff. Thanks so much for your tips!!!

Most likely the headliner won't come out in one piece,but I've found using a cleaner called Tuff Stuff,do wonders cleaning vinyl,cloth and headliners.Spray it on and let it foam up for a few minutes but don't let it dry up.Then scrub the area lightly in circular motions with a very fine brush or a toothbrush.I have a 67 NYer fastop and my headliner was glued in around the front and back windows,but there are rods in the center bows that are removable.Worst case scenario.....have a new headliner installed at an upholstery shop,should run somewhere between $200-300.She looks more like a water stain from where it's located,and I doubt the roof is leaking or rotted in that location.Could be due to some moisture getting into the car from an open window,someone's wet shoes,etc. and then being sealed inside and evaporate due to heat condensation,which explains the stain on the headliner.I once had that happen to a trunk lid on an old t-bird.When we got the trunk open,the entire inner frame structure rotted and separated from the trunk skin.The skin's appearance from the exterior was perfect.Heat and water don't seem to mix well in enclosed areas!

I've had good luck on a couple of occasions removing headliners without causing them any damage, slow and steady. The suggestion stands if you had something nesting up there and can't get rid of the stink.

I would ether use a stain remover with the understanding that it may leave a discoloration spot there, It may remove the stain. But could also leave a bleached looking spot. Or rip out and purchase a new one as time, and money allows. I have had no headliner in my car since I bought it in 2007. The owner before me pulled it. It doesn't bother me not having one. But then again I have a white painted roof so its not hot in the summer time. :)

I would ether use a stain remover with the understanding that it may leave a discoloration spot there, It may remove the stain. But could also leave a bleached looking spot. Or rip out and purchase a new one as time, and money allows. I have had no headliner in my car since I bought it in 2007. The owner before me pulled it. It doesn't bother me not having one. But then again I have a white painted roof so its not hot in the summer time. :)
I'm going to do my best to keep the factory headliner as long as I can and just clean it for now. It really is in good shape except for that spot.

You've got to see this thing but it'll be a while before I'd trust it more than about 3 miles... long way to San Antonio...

The black is brutal in the heat, even now... A few days ago it was 80 here and it must have been 90 or 100 in the car. Maybe I can cook all the mice and mouse **** and clean it that way, like an autoclave. :)

Great ride glad to see that you got it running and back on the road. Keep us posted love the pictures.

Really nice car. Can you post some pics of the sides and front when you get a chance please. Also what are your plans for it.

Really nice car. Can you post some pics of the sides and front when you get a chance please. Also what are your plans for it.

Here is my original "hello" post in the Welcome Wagon area with some pics from a few years ago. It is pretty dinged up, more than you can see in the photos, but is overall in decent shape.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...9718-Newbie-from-ND-TX-1968-Fury-III-Fast-Top

My plans are getting less ambitious as I take care of the really critical stuff. Like brakes... just rehabbing the current 4-drum setup, can't afford the disk conversion. I'll wait to do exhaust too... the cobbled together duals on it are not optimal but it doesn't leak. I'm just happy to have it with me in TX way ahead of schedule!

I hope there wasn't someone in the back seat that projectile vomited. Probably just a water stain. FeBreeze.

Someone shook up a coke bottle and let er rip. Seriously, if you want to find out if it's rodent stuff..use a blacklight. It will show up as a bright neon yellow.

Back