68 Fury getting a 440

superfragl

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am doing a 318 to 440 engine swap. The motor came out of 74 New Yorker.
Last night I was trying to check the engine/transmission fitment and ran into issues.
The oil pan hits the stub frame on the front. I did change the motor mounts to these
$_57 (1).jpg$_57.jpg
I took them off the 383 motor that came out of 68 Coronet Wagon.
The oil pan looks like this (not sure on the stamped number though)
1001067.jpg
Please advise if I am using the right mounts / pan.
I have seen a web page with the step-by-step engine swaps info for different Mopar body styles, but cannot find it...
Also, can someone take a few pics of their 440 engine mounts and oil pan in relation to stub frame?
Any help is appreciated.

$_57 (1).jpg

$_57.jpg

1001067.jpg

The most common correct pan for the big block c body 66-68 is the 187 pan. I'am not familiar with the formal oil pan setup. The 68 coronet b body big block mounts are correct.

I have not been able to find 187 oil pan. The one I have would not clear the sub frame by 1/4 inch or less. I might just trim and weld the pan. How much clearance should I have between the pan and the frame?

The most common correct pan for the big block c body 66-68 is the 187 pan. I'am not familiar with the formal oil pan setup. The 68 coronet b body big block mounts are correct.
Excuse my ignorance but why B body over the correct C body?

hey!

whats up on the 187 oil pan? is 187 part of the part number? i need to see about one of those.

P.O. put some aftermarket deep oil pan on and my steering idler arm hits it when making a tight right turn.

can you weld an oil pan? like if i carried mine to some shop, could they cut it to make a notch for the idler arm travel fit and weld it back together?

- saylor

Yes there's a stamp on it that says 187. It's a 66-68 big block c body specific pan with the notch for the idler, and the right drop to clear the stub frame.

hey!

whats up on the 187 oil pan? is 187 part of the part number? i need to see about one of those.

P.O. put some aftermarket deep oil pan on and my steering idler arm hits it when making a tight right turn.

can you weld an oil pan? like if i carried mine to some shop, could they cut it to make a notch for the idler arm travel fit and weld it back together?

- saylor
Just trash the deep oil pan altogether. It's just waiting for a too high sewer cover to open it up.

Last night I dropped the motor in with oil pan removed - everything lined up fine. So I need a correct oil pan. Anyone has the 187 / 669 pan for sale cheap? Otherwise I will just trim/weld the pan I have. I did some measurements and it looks like the idler arm might clear the pan without the notch.
Also, the pan has a baffle welded in. Do I need it with windage tray? And what if I use both?

I am not sure if this one will clear the idler arm.

Leave baffle, use both anything to keep pick up covered with oil, unless you drive like a putz.

Cut and weld, stock pan does not have baffle, why go backwards.

I decided to save myself $150 and use the oil pan I have. I trimmed it by 1/2" on the front and and it cleared the frame fine. Now when the wheels are turned all the way to the right, the idler arm is touching the pan a bit. I will have to either make a notch on hydraulic press or cut/weld. I will take care of this tonight and will post pictures.

Back