Horrible hackjob

Cooter Davenport

Reaction score
This 68 Fury 2dr post car was brought to me[customer's] to see if I could get it running/driving...As you can see from the pics it was a horrible hack job out of North Carolina. (Yes, it was a shop) Somehow, they thought a SBC was the answer to the /6 auto that was in it....
As you can see, I've completely reworked this travesty. First was to remove the SBC and related "engineering", then remove /6 mounting, and install proper V8 mounts on frame. Now to install full length headers and a mild 440.
Thanks for looking.

20231111_171600.jpg

20231111_171633.jpg

20231111_171714.jpg

20231111_171759.jpg

20231111_171853.jpg

20231111_171930.jpg

20231123_150346.jpg

20231123_150416.jpg

20231125_110523.jpg

20231125_110612.jpg

The angle iron they used looked like mattress bed frame, I use it for a lot of things to make because it's easy to acquire cheap but not motor mounts.

The angle iron they used looked like mattress bed frame, I use it for a lot of things to make because it's easy to acquire cheap but not motor mounts.
Yeah, the angle iron was tac welded to rear of subrame for *new* trans crossmember. The idler arm had bolt tac welded to keep from falling out after they bent mount down in order to clear SBC oil pan rear sump.

Yeah, the angle iron was tac welded to rear of subrame for *new* trans crossmember. The idler arm had bolt tac welded to keep from falling out after they bent mount down in order to clear SBC oil pan rear sump.
68 Fury Rescuer:
How did you measure for correct install of V8 mounts on slant 6 subframe? Thanks

A proper repair would have been to find the correct V-8 sub frame and replace the 6 cylinder one and bolt in the correct Mopar engine. A PIA. Failing that, the correct V-8 mounting system from a solid donor could probably be transplanted onto the existing frame but this will require a competent welder. The angle iron mess even with a small block chev would be likely to come apart the first time someone gets on the throttle as the welds appear to be poor quality and to be of insufficient mass. I find it hard to believe that any competent shop would have sent this car out as is with the SBC as it is an accident and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Noted the steering coupler. Good luck.

Dave

Last edited:
That always pisses me off going to a show, so many idiots answer to everything was to "stick a 350 in it" no matter what brand of body. It infuriates me further, how that mentality has been replaced with "stick an LS in there. Farkers....

There's a REASON (or 3!) Why I have never owned anything but a Mopar.

PLEASE PLEASE only repurpose that SBC by way of adding weight to your next scrap haul....

68 Fury Rescuer:
How did you measure for correct install of V8 mounts on slant 6 subframe? Thanks
Actually wouldn't be hard,as the trans mount would be the same for any (proper, Mopar) trans of that era would be mounted in exactly the same location, so that would place the back of the engine right where it needs to be, so the front wouldn't be hard to locate from that point.
I thought the c bodies all took the same frame, much like the later b bodies did. And the difference was in the frame stands ) metal part of motor mounts) I have done a /6 to v8 in a 79 d150 years ago and that was how it was in that case.
And as for choice of materials for their makeshift motor mounts. . I thought Angle iron for bed frames was hot rolled instead of cold rolled for rigidity, but hot rolled doesn't weld very well to begin with,. Definitely more prone to cracking than cold rolled steel

That always pisses me off going to a show, so many idiots answer to everything was to "stick a 350 in it" no matter what brand of body. It infuriates me further, how that mentality has been replaced with "stick an LS in there. Farkers....

PLEASE PLEASE only repurpose that SBC by way of adding weight to your next scrap haul....
I know someone that told me he bought a mid 60's Dodge truck and he's gonna put an LS in it... I'm sure that the quality of that swap is going to be similar to this '68 Fury, possibly worse.

I'm a little afraid that it might be a really nice truck that I used to own... I haven't seen it yet. Best case scenario is he loses interest like he usually does and the truck gets sold before he screws it up.

I could understand a newer magnum series or maybe a new hemi... But there's something to be said for the simplicity of the engines that were current in the day that car was made. I get tired of everything being run through the computer brain...

There is a cruise night about 2 miles from where I live. If you look at a good number of the Chevrolets, they have a 350 crate motor in them. I see lots of 327 chevys that are no longer 327s. People think the easiest solution is a small block chevy. When it is a GM product and most things bolt right up, I get it. Putting one in a 68 Plymouth Fury makes no sense. The shop might have had the engine lying around and figured they had a live one.

Actually wouldn't be hard,as the trans mount would be the same for any (proper, Mopar) trans of that era would be mounted in exactly the same location, so that would place the back of the engine right where it needs to be, so the front wouldn't be hard to locate from that point.
I thought the c bodies all took the same frame, much like the later b bodies did. And the difference was in the frame stands ) metal part of motor mounts) I have done a /6 to v8 in a 79 d150 years ago and that was how it was in that case.
And as for choice of materials for their makeshift motor mounts. . I thought Angle iron for bed frames was hot rolled instead of cold rolled for rigidity, but hot rolled doesn't weld very well to begin with,. Definitely more prone to cracking than cold rolled steel
We ordered a section of "k" member from Murray Park and I removed the original mounts, cleaned up metal, then measured carefully and rewelded to his car's frame in EXACTLY the same places. 440 fit right in. Full length Headers on other hand are proving to be the true PITA

This is a capital crime, unforgivable sin, whoever hacked up this poor helpless fury for a chevrolet engine should be ashamed
The shop [Mexican Americans]took advantage of the guy charged him $6k for this....(Guy's claim. I think it mighta been him that did this and just doesn't wanna admit he's that big of an idiot, but...)

A proper repair would have been to find the correct V-8 sub frame and replace the 6 cylinder one and bolt in the correct Mopar engine. A PIA. Failing that, the correct V-8 mounting system from a solid donor could probably be transplanted onto the existing frame but this will require a competent welder. The angle iron mess even with a small block chev would be likely to come apart the first time someone gets on the throttle as the welds appear to be poor quality and to be of insufficient mass. I find it hard to believe that any competent shop would have sent this car out as is with the SBC as it is an accident and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Noted the steering coupler. Good luck.

Dave
So by that line of resolve, I should have removed the entire subframe in order to get BB engine mounts? Because only the factory can/is allowed to weld to the frame?
When replacing the mounts with V8 ones kept costs down in labor to a min.....
"Proper" is a relative term as you're not exactly talking to a novice at welding.
20231124_141223.jpg

Last edited:
I know someone that told me he bought a mid 60's Dodge truck and he's gonna put an LS in it... I'm sure that the quality of that swap is going to be similar to this '68 Fury, possibly worse.

I'm a little afraid that it might be a really nice truck that I used to own... I haven't seen it yet. Best case scenario is he loses interest like he usually does and the truck gets sold before he screws it up.
Well, being partial to my Chryslers, I'm in agreement as there's only two kinds of people who would even look at this with SBC...Those that wanna talk smack, and those that know nothing at all....BOTH are gonna laugh at this install quality I told him....So, he's agreed to "Do it correctly" so to speak. While I agree with you to an extent, there's just no denying the LS in stock form with boost. A 528 Hemi, @1543HP is cantankerous and evil to drive, let alone expensive.
Meanwhile.....stock bottom end, gen 4 rods 6.0 LS on 29.5lbs
FB_IMG_1683311512811.jpg

Last edited:

Actually, there's an S10 shortbed he's got next.....

Last edited:
Well, being partial to my Chryslers, I'm in agreement as there's only two kinds of people who would even look at this with SBC...Those that wanna talk smack, and those that know nothing at all....BOTH are gonna laugh at this install quality I told him....So, he's agreed to "Do it correctly" so to speak. While I agree with you to an extent, there's just no denying the LS in stock form with boost. A 528 Hemi, @1543HP is cantankerous and evil to drive, let alone expensive.
Meanwhile.....stock bottom end, gen 4 rods 6.0 LS on 29.5lbsView attachment 629730
Honestly, I can understand using a SBC.

It's been around forever. Parts are easily available and usually inexpensive. Even saying this as a diehard Mopar guy, the SBC is a pretty decent engine. It can make decent power and is as reliable as anything else.

It's been the choice of a lot of hot rod builders for years... and if you think about it, with just a little scrounging, you could put a SBC with trans in anything and spend less than the machine shop bill for a Mopar. It does make sense in a lot of ways. We have this prejudice about using Chevy parts that keeps us wanting to stay "pure" with all Mopar drivetrains (even though I can name GM sourced parts in many of our cars). If we had to weld up motor and trans mounts anyway, that SBC would suddenly look a lot better.

Chevy has been smart too... They offered a crate engine way before anyone else did... and again, priced right etc..

Of course, all my late model stuff is Ford... And I would buy a new Mustang before I'd buy a Challenger, but I'll save that discussion for another time.

Back