68 newport stereo wires, red and orange only

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Just did the ridiculous task of pulling my old stereo out to try and update to a modern stereo. Looking at the fsm and not really getting anywhere. There is only a red and orange wire. Im assuming the strap I unbolted from the back is the ground. I ran out of time to test so thought I'd ask if anyone knows first hand if one is to constant, accessory or ground ? I have thoughts on what to do otherwise but prefer some help first of possible. Thanks

Red is power, orange is light. Ground is case - should also be a black and green for speaker, IIRC.

Would red be considered the accessory since it turns on and off with the car and there was no Need for a constant power with this style stereo? if that is correct would I make the red my accessory, add a new constant and find the ground that the old stereo was using and attach it to that strap that was bogged to the back of the stereo?

The radio power would be "switched" via the ignition switch. In "run" and "accessory". There might be some unused switched power terminals in the fuse block, that might be termed "accessory".

Are you replacing an existing Chrysler factory radio with a factory Chrysler AM/FM/Multiplex radio? Or is the replacement radio an aftermarket unit, to which you're seeking to interface the existing factory harness to?

CBODY67

Back