68 sending units question

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Mopar enthusiasts.

I'm curious if anyone knows if a 68 Chrysler 300 fuel tank sending unit, is the same or will fit in my 68 chrysler newport (originally 383). I suspect 5/16 vs 3/8, and the answer is no, but thought to ask the collective first.

Also correct part number if handy.

Many thanks.
Mike

‘68 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth C-bodies are all the same except wagons. 2809031 for all C’s except wagons.
Yes it is called fuel tank gauge in the parts book. It is the sending unit.
A parts book is a valuable asset and can be downloaded for free at my Mopar.com

image.jpg

If you change out a fuel tank sending unit, re-use the original lock ring if at all possible. With the reproduction lock ring, mine leaked like crazy. Had the original bead blasted and powder coated, installed it, and no more leak.
Not sure that the reproduction sending units are very accurate, but better than nothing.

If you change out a fuel tank sending unit, re-use the original lock ring if at all possible. With the reproduction lock ring, mine leaked like crazy. Had the original bead blasted and powder coated, installed it, and no more leak.
Not sure that the reproduction sending units are very accurate, but better than nothing.
The the lock ring depends on the tank. The ring I got with the tank from Vans fit the tank it came with better than my original. Compare the fit between the two before replacing.
As far as the rubber gasket, the key is making sure it is perfectly centered and that the lock ring is perfectly centered. If your lock ring is not perfectly centered when locked, the tank will leak regardless the thickness of your gasket. Much easier to install and center with the tank out if you have the opportunity. Then you can check the seal before you get a full tank of gas leaking out.

If you replace the tank, most are bare steel and will rust in no time. paint it with a good automotive epoxy primer, black paint and clear coat it. I used an acrylic enamel and gas spills ate right through it. Clear coat is impervious to it. That's why the paint on your car doesn't wash off if you get gas on it.

Back