68 sport fury- leave stock or modify???

budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 68 sport fury III 383 auto, factory a/c, power windows, vinyl top. As far as I can tell so far the car is all original with the factory paint and 87,140 miles on it. It is an Arizona car so it it rust free. Are these cars worth much if it is all original numbers matching? I know it isn’t as desirable as a B body or E body but I hate to start modifying stuff if it is worth decent cash. The passenger rear 1/4 is dented pretty good but otherwise the car is straight and solid. What are your opinions?

F7E60A6A-C493-4E66-AC35-B1BE11FAD6D2.jpeg

E4C0A0CC-3DF3-4A7E-838E-CF4FD58F772D.jpeg

BF9480A0-D163-4419-86E8-09C323AEEBE0.jpeg

65481391-9406-40E3-B6C7-AC2DA19F0451.jpeg

58A4A76A-EE07-43E6-86C5-A68B74343607.jpeg

It is worth more I would think stock than modified. Want more poop for cheap? Change the rear ratio and or rebuild the engine for more power while keeping it stock looking. I am considering this with my 69 Fury . I do not want to change the look right down to the exhaust manifolds. I still run points cause I can. Fix the quarter panel,,and all the other stuff. That will keep you busy. Nice ,nice car and congrats to you.

Why in gawdz name do you want to modify it?
Put the money into putting it right again.

AMEN!

If you are concerned about affecting its value, then you must be thinking that somewhere down the line you may want to sell it? If so, if you modify it, then you will have to find a buyer who likes every modification you made. Since we know everyone has different tastes that will be difficult, at best. So there goes its value. And if, after having modified it, you are looking for a buyer from some place like here, any potential buyers here will only see what it's going to cost to undo the 'butchering' you have done (yes, that is the way most people here will see it) so again, there goes the value. So, if you are worried about maintaining its value 'down the road', then stock is probably your best bet, imho.

Last edited:
The only changes I would consider would be (if my assumption is correct that it is a 2 bbl car (single snorkle air cleaner) and therefore has a low stall torque converter) to change the torque converter to a high stall unit and put in 3.23 gears in the rear. The driving feel will be so improved, you will think a 440 was transplanted into it. And no one will know, except for the higher fuel consumption than stock. All reversible at low cost if you keep the changed torque converter and rear pumpkin. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that.

NIce car. Just needs a little TLC to "shine" again.

Any mods should be consistent with what the car COULD have come with from the factory. Cosmetic or otherwise. 15" Magnum 500 repros (probably 15x7) would be a good upgrade, along with radial tires (whitewalls are still out there! either 14" or 15". just have to look or go to Diamondback tires).

Add some HD shocks and get the brake system condition verified. Replace ALL of the rubber fuel lines, tank forward. Get it tuned and ready to roll. Fix the body work and possibly a repaint in the orig color (which was popular back then). TLC and cleaning/waxing. Then ENJOY it before you do anything else.

The recommended torque converter (probably has the 11.75" converter, but the 10.75" converter came in "low stall" and "high stall" variations). A rebuilt 3.23 "chunk" can be over $500.00 and the reman converter can approach $200.00 . . . PLUS labor.

Personally, I like the way the 383 2bbl /2.76 axle runs on the highway. The natural cruising speed for my '66 Newport was 75-90mph. That keeps the rpm on the meat of the torque peak, 2bbl or 4bbl, in the 3000rpm range, plus or minus a few hundred. At 70mph, it's "bored", but as soon as it cracked 75mph, it started to feel "right" and was enjoying itself. At 95, the ride started to get a little "busier", in comparison. Just how the harmonics of that car were! 3.23s would put the rpms at 3000rpm at 75mph or so. A shame to have the engine running faster at those "fun" speeds, to me. Especially on a 2bbl car.

Value? Any car is always worth more to the general public "all stock" or upgraded with stock-spec parts. No big deal with the OEM electronic ignition kit. Of a newer Edelbrock 4bbl in place of the OEM unit (4bbl). Get much past those easier bolt-ons and "return on investment" diminishes, typically. New basecoat/clearcoat paint rather than the orig "single stage" acrylic enamel would typically not be a big deal either, as it's higher shine is what many expect to see now, although it's technically incorrect in some orientations.

When you start doing non-stock/OEM modifications per se, you can limit the number of potential buyers, later on. They might be neat to you, but finding somebody with money with the same orientation gets to be "the trick". Best to keep it "stock" with year model correct upgrades, other than what I mentioned earlier . . . for the best return on investment.

A side issue is that any later owner can have a decent degree of confidence in getting parts for it, later on, from the local auto supply or similar. IF you do change something, put the repair order in the glove box or other "safe place" for future reference . . . YOURS' and possible future owners benefit.

All things considered, ONE thing I'd put on a priority list is a new timing chain set. Many times, the plastic teeth on the stock cam sprocket were in the deterioration stage by 80K miles. You can put a stock one back in, but a roller chain will last longer AND can be bought via Mopar Performance. Otherwise, a Cloyes Plus Roller will do the trick. That's cheap insurance, to me, as one engine I have, I did the Cloyes upgrade and that chain's now got over 400K miles on it. Douse the chain and sprockets with assembly lube at the time of installation, as there is no direct lube to that area of the motor . . . all "splash".

Get the car cleaned up and "investigated" as to what's there and such. Drive it and enjoy it to "baseline" things before you do any changes/upgrades. Prioritize things as to what you do when and why, for good measure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm not really basing this on numbers so I'm not trying to say that your Fury is "rare" but I see more fast top hardtops from 67 and 68 than you do the roofline on yours ... frankly, though I love the fast tops on all other Chrysler offerings in those years, the roofline you have looks way better on a Fury.
I'd keep it as original as possible. It's just such a classy ride.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I should have been more specific. The modifications I had in mind are disc brake conversion, rebuild engine and add 4bbl, suregrip, maybe a set of block hugger shortie headders, 2.5” dual exhaust, and possibly repaint. I’m not going to do any crazy chopping to it. From what I have read already, I should be able to do these mods without affecting value. Basically I am just upgrading everything.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I should have been more specific. The modifications I had in mind are disc brake conversion, rebuild engine and add 4bbl, suregrip, maybe a set of block hugger shortie headders, 2.5” dual exhaust, and possibly repaint. I’m not going to do any crazy chopping to it. From what I have read already, I should be able to do these mods without affecting value. Basically I am just upgrading everything.
For the sake of saving dough alone, I'd not worry about the headers or the suregrip especially if you are building the engine back to even remotely factory spec.

If you're rebuilding, dial your build up to 4bbl spec. The dual exhaust is a nice upgrade .. if only to keep from blowing leaves when you step on it. Discs I've done and would do again on the right car ... but for what my present car would be used for, the drums would be more than sufficient.

From the looks and sounds of it, you're putting your bucks in the right places. That's gonna be a honey of a ride.

So there you have it , all the points of view. I look forward to hear what.you decide. As said the bottom line is that it is your car.

My initial thought when I was buying it was “sleeper”-stroker. Now I’m leaning towards a good mild build 383 and make it a cruiser. The a/c sure will be nice.

My initial thought when I was buying it was “sleeper”-stroker. Now I’m leaning towards a good mild build 383 and make it a cruiser. The a/c sure will be nice.
That's exactly what I did. I have a 68 fury 383-496 procharged. Nice having everything tucked under the hood.
20180822_164922.jpg

Nice car, big block, AC, PW, my vote is stock, (they're only original once). If you do mods, don't do anything that can't be put back, save all the parts you take off, then you're covered either way. End of the day, it is yours, good luck with it!

Back