68 sport fury- leave stock or modify???

Why not to go big with an RB block and stroker parts from Scat? With a crank measuring a 4.500`` stroke, only a bit bigger bore is needed to get an engine about 570 cubic inches.

Last edited:
To be more specific of my one sentence that you presumably disagreed with -
To fully utilize the potential of increasingly-larger stroker shortblocks, you have to get further away from factory parts.

In your case, are you still using factory stamped rocker arms/shafts in your engine?
What was the cost of porting your heads vs stock rebuild? (or what would be the cost if average Joe had to pay retail?)
Have you hogged out the intake or HP manifolds?
What would it cost to replicate your engine at retail prices, if a guy had a rebuildable 440 on his hands?

I cannot fully answer your question as I choose to have my engine professionally built by a shop with a lot of experience with drag cars as well has high performance street cars. I purposely went with pretty much the best available bottom end parts to ensure that it would be trouble free and stand up to many years of street/strip use.

Yes, my heads were ported but nothing radical and the exhaust manifolds were also ported and cleaned up but not "hogged out" and the intake similarly was ported and cleaned up.

Best answer was: "do what you want, it's your car."

If it was just a shell that you found in a field, I'd say sure, make it a Pro Mod. However, my vote is for the gas-can-n-toothbrush resto, especially if you're worried about short term resale value. That car is "all there" which is a real blessing. Blow the cobwebs off, get it roadworthy and sort the chassis out (discs are a great idea, front end, springs & bars if they're tired, *Bilsteins* and good tires). You will be surprised how fun a totally stock, mechanically-sound land barge is to just cruise around in. I wish MY car had its AC hooked up!!

Also, I'm jealous of all the beautiful "23" roofs in this thread. Cheers!

Why not to go big with an RB block and stroker parts from Scat? With a crank measuring a 4.500`` stroke, only a bit bigger bore is needed to get an engine about 570 cubic inches.

You might want to recheck your math there. 4.5x4.5 gets you 572. No way a stock block can go there. 543 is about as good as it gets with a stock block and a 4.5 stroke.

Kevin

You might want to recheck your math there. 4.5x4.5 gets you 572. No way a stock block can go there. 543 is about as good as it gets with a stock block and a 4.5 stroke.

Kevin
That`s my bad math.:thankyou:

Back