69 fury 318 oil filter

69mopar man

Reaction score
Hey folks I’m having a tough time finding any kind of oil filter that fits a 318 , I’ve tried 3 already and although they work they don’t cover complete area of filter ? And where the filter meets the engine on most cars it’s a flat surface that mates with the seal , as you can see in the picture there’s still half inch until it covers filter area, help!!!

FC0D1F8E-059A-4F00-8380-238C59E56AB7.jpeg

Yes the 318 takes a Fram PH8. About 10 years ago I discovered I could also put the same filter on my 300M (3.5L) instead of the shorter filter.

I have used the short K&N HP-2004 and Wix 51068 filters on my 400, they both fit the 318 as well. The longer versions of these filters are K&N HP-3001 and Wix 51515. The outside diameter is approximately 3.65 in.

Last edited:
What you have in the photo is just right, move on to enjoying the car! When new that silver paint would be painted engine color and you wouldn’t notice it as much.

The filter area is made for the 90° adapter which you don't have. As long as it seals and doesn't leak you are good as gold.

The Wix catalog says 51515 is the correct filter. These were referred to as "the long Chrysler" or "Ford" oil filters. The 51068 and 51085 are the "short" version. Many filters will fit and work, but the smaller filters will not cover the oil filter mounting plate. I would suggest next oil change get a 51515 Wix or 1515 NAPA Gold filter and you will see how it covers the mounting plate. However, the long filter will be harder to manipulate in and out due to the torsion bar. When I was in High School I worked as a helper in the shop at K-Mart. The Asst Manager would tell us to use a K9 (short) filter instead of a K1 (long) filter because it was easier to r&r it.

Back