69 fury drum brake question

69mopar man

Reaction score
Hey folks , I’m doing brakes on my 69 fury 3 with drums all the way around and no booster, my problem is I can’t find anyone that works at a auto parts store that knows anything about brakes , I’m a rookie but want to replace my drum brakes with new shoes, adjuster kits , and brake hardware for each drum , I noticed that with the adjuster kit there are 2 different kinds of adjuster cables, one cable with a j hook and one kind with a spring, my car has the hook kind which fell off and I’d like to use the spring adjuster cable , but I can’t find anyone who knows if they will work with a hardware kit for my car? Any help would be much Appreciated

B03BBE9E-E519-45C1-8039-2594B38862BE.png

2DCF2B7A-9581-42E4-86B6-2817982A6C78.png

As long as you use the complete brake adjuster kit, either should work. Type 2 superceded type 1. Replacement shoes have all the needed mount holes.

Dave

The spring type was 1970. Also the lever for the self adjuster is different, it mounts to a pin in the shoe, and has. A return spring on it.

But why do you want to change the type of cable? Seems alot of fuss for nothing.

We’ll again I’m not a Mechanic but looking up the parts on partsgeeks website there’s 38 options with many different brands , but I could find any hardware kits that would work , fitment, with the spring adjuster cable some go by the shoe size and these are 11” drums with 2” shoes in rear and 2 3/4 in front

I called a brake shop told them I had the j hook kind they said that most fell off because the cable gets Stretched and the spring kind was better, I spent the last 2 days calling 100 stores most everyone had no idea what a adjuster kit was or a hardware kit and nobody could answer if they were Compatible , so I guess I’ll go with the j hook because I can’t spend anymore time trying to get a better brake

You need to contact Craig @mobileparts He is a member here who has a vast inventory and knowledge of good quality name brand parts for our old cars. Chances are vey good he will know what you need and have it. Good prices and service too. If you leave him a message he will call you back. Several of us on this forum have used him and are very satisfied.

I called a brake shop told them I had the j hook kind they said that most fell off because the cable gets Stretched and the spring kind was better, I spent the last 2 days calling 100 stores most everyone had no idea what a adjuster kit was or a hardware kit and nobody could answer if they were Compatible , so I guess I’ll go with the j hook because I can’t spend anymore time trying to get a better brake
Remember, TOO, that most of the people you were talking to most probably grew up when all cars had 4-wheel disc brakes. Therefore, they "knew no-thing" about your question.

Rather than look at the "big box" Internet parts stores, you might be better served looking at the Raybestos Brake website AND the Wagner Brake website. Companies which were OEM or replacement-OEM when the cars were new.

CBODY67

69moparman,
I have a function on Wednesday evenings --- it is after midnight --- I just got home and am having lunch !!!
I have absolutely everything for you -- and I saw you P.M.'Ed me --- I will get with you
Later today !!! Yours, Craig.....

Back