6th Annual C Body Show

Congratulations on the show, @sixpkrt! Having the second largest turnout ever with that kind of weather means a lot - people appreciate the work you put into the event!
How far do participants travel for your one-day event? Any plans to make it a full weekend show?

Congratulations on the show, @sixpkrt! Having the second largest turnout ever with that kind of weather means a lot - people appreciate the work you put into the event!
How far do participants travel for your one-day event? Any plans to make it a full weekend show?
I travelled 735 miles or 1,183 kilometers ONE way in our 69 Fury III to be at the show. Kingston,Ontario,Canada to Volo,Illinois. (Second time,first in 2018 in my Newport and bagging the long distance award!!)
Another member here drove his 66 Sport Fury down from Manitoba,Canada--which is closer to the show than I.
A third Canadian was at the show but I did not get a chance to talk to him.

Another member here drove his 66 Sport Fury down from Manitoba,Canada--which is closer to the show than I.
My trip was 925 miles each way. I don't consider it miles, rather smiles.
A third Canadian was at the show but I did not get a chance to talk to him.
The 3rd Canadian was the 67 sport fury ragtop. It originated from British columbia and is now owned by a Illinois Mopar finatic. I had the privilege of riding out 1 of the numerous rain events in this car. Looking forward to seeing it again

Last edited:
The annual C Body show first gained international members 3 years ago, beginning with @cbarge
Now that you guys are able to drive south of our northern border, hopefully more of our Canadian friends will make the journey next year.
@rd92west made his 925 mile drive shifting 4 speeds all the way. Now that had to be a blast.
Everyone from Canada drove their Fury's to Volo. Maybe next year we'll see some Dodges, Chryslers and Imperials from up north make the trip too.
Thanks again to everyone that made the show this year.

Blast doesn't even come close to describing my trip. Wouldn't really matter what kind of car a person had.
I got the 66 SF 3 years ago. Only put a couple tanks of fuel thru it the first summer I was constantly diagnosing and fixing little issues. Stupid things that were the result of repair shops over the years.
2nd summer I had it out 2 times and radiator developed a leak. Car got parked.
I have several c body cars and always have something to drive.
Over the past winter I had the radiator rebuilt.
My 833 would jump out of 3rd when decelerating, plus the clutch chattered taking off. I found car had a new disc and pressure plate and a ****** flywheel. Oh yea, the trans input shaft had been chopped off for a cast crank but they forgot to install the magnum roller bearing. I found a brass bushing in the crankshaft. Receipt for this expert work was in the folder that came with the car. Luckily I found out before it ruined the input shaft bearing.
I installed new flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate, and a OD 833. I have mixed opinions on OD trans. Story for a different day.
Also the international border was looking like it might allow me to finally go south.
Then I had the challenge of trying to coordinate someone to keep a eye on things while I would be away. With a farm you can't just lock the door and take off.
So mid June it's kinda looking like it might work.
I'd had the car out for several drives this spring and early summer. I figured there was a possibility it might hold together for a longer run. I rounded up and boxed spare parts along with basic tools.
I put 1850 miles on the SF. Went thru 3 quarts of oil. Valve cover and timing chain gaskets leaked some of it. I averaged 15 miles to imperial gallon. Best tank full was 20 mpg. Head Wind was biggest factor. And I pushed into lots of wind.
The only issue with the car was that I found out that my accelerator pump don't work. Guess I don't drive it hard enough to have known that.
I encountered unlimited newer big money cars, with tinted glass and AC cranked up, cruise control, top quality tunes and who knows what else. And I'm blasting down the highway with windows down listening to my glass packs. With a **** eating grin that money can't buy.
I wouldn't have traded my old Plymouth for anything that I encountered on the interstate.
In reality these people with the fancy cars definitely wouldn't trade cars with me. Actually likely pointed and laughed at the goof without AC on such a hot day.

Last edited:
Tim has been choosing the weekend the Chicagoland mopar connection has their Sunday show for their north chapter to make it a twofer for the LD crowd

Tim has been choosing the weekend the Chicagoland mopar connection has their Sunday show for their north chapter to make it a twofer for the LD crowd
For me, the two shows makes the trip more worth the drive. Plus I took the time to go through the Volo Museum..that itself was worth the the price of admission.

I really wanted to drive the Imperial up there this year, but life tossed a couple of curve balls my way, unfortunately. Would've been a roughly 800-mile trip one way, but I'm confident the Imperial is capable of such a journey. Perhaps in 2023?

I really wanted to drive the Imperial up there this year, but life tossed a couple of curve balls my way, unfortunately. Would've been a roughly 800-mile trip one way, but I'm confident the Imperial is capable of such a journey. Perhaps in 2023?
That would be great if you could make the show! We need to make this the Go-to show for C bodies in the western hemisphere.

I did 735 miles...
@rd92west did 925
Sometimes its about not just the destination but also the journey. Kots to see along the way.
The Imp was built for highway comfort and as long as it is reliable should not be a problem. Just have lots of cash for gas!

Rt 66 road trip man!

I did 735 miles...
@rd92west did 925
Sometimes its about not just the destination but also the journey. Kots to see along the way.
The Imp was built for highway comfort and as long as it is reliable should not be a problem. Just have lots of cash for gas!
@Ripinator and I drove 802 miles one way, to drive the TNT back east after the show. But the car had been in the Midwest since last spring, so that’s not the right comparison. You guys sure rock!
I get between 17-19 mpg at 75 mph on the highway, it'll be expensive enough, for certain.
With my 440HP, Rip and I averaged just under 13mpg. My average speed was a bit less than what you mention, as our highway speed limits are lower than yours. Rip got the best mileage of the trip, just over 14mpg.

I have a 1971 T-code Monaco and I get 13.5-15 mpg (depending on how hot it is outside and on the terrain) at the same average speed. I’ve driven it over 10k of miles in the past 3 years, and the best I’ve gotten is 15.5 mpg. Take out a good mpg when the A/C is running.

Bottom line: How you can get 17-19mpg at a sustained 75mph average with a 1966 Imperial, I know not. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
I was on one of the Hot Rod Hundred runs about three years ago. The end point was Tulsa. I filled the car up there and hit the turnpike for home in OKC. About five miles from my house, I filled up again. Drove 120 miles and put in a little over six gallons before fuel came out the filler tube, which came out to 19.3 mpg. Believe me, I was over the moon about that! And that with the top down!

This years trip to Tim's show I got 15.3 average. Going to Carlisle I got 16.0 highway mileage w/ city driving around Carlisle milage of 14.9 according to Garmin and confirmed at the pump.

Back