70 Dodge C body research help please

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand correctly we are comparing the larger number which is total shipped for the entire 70 model year to to the smaller number from the O&A report that identifies what actually shipped by the EO a particular month in this case September? The 2 numbers must come from separate reports. I'm pretty sure Kevin also has an idea where the 2 #s came from.

One also has to address my question, which, going back to the original question in post one.....now that we know the Polara Special was what I was looking for, and it is accounted for in some reports as DE, was the car actually VINned, meaning the dash, fender tag and broadcast sheet carried a DE VIN, OR was it VINned as a DM car with the A71 shown on the fender tag, like I posted, and the car tracked separately on the reports as a DE car?

If it carried a DE VIN, then it would be accounted for differently on the O&A report compared to showing up as an option package under DM as a line item.

Let's get away from the reports for a second and look at actual documentation. We're assuming that because the reports list a DE VIN, the car carried a DE VIN. All we have so far is a DM fender tag with the A71 option package and E44 engine code listed.

Does anyone else have any fender tags or pictures of a 1970 Polara Special VIN tag showing the car actually received a DE VIN on the body? Unless and until we can do that, then the original question still remains.

Doug,
This situation looks very similar to what Chrysler did with the 1971-1972 Plymouth Satellite line - specifically the 2Dr HT from those two years. In 1971, you had the RH23 Satellite Sebring, and the RP23 Satellite Sebring Plus. There was a "Coupe" model - but it was an RH23 car with A93 "Coupe Pkg" on the fender tag. In 1972, the Satellite Sebring and Sebring Plus - RH23 and RP23 - remained the same - but the Satellite Coupe got its own VIN - RL21.

With the one example tag so far that shows FM41 as the VIN and A71 for the Polara Special Pkg - the "F" is an easy "fat finger" mistake. Typing in an M instead of an E would be a little tougher - but not out of the realm of possibility. So our FM41 tag was most likely supposed to be a DM41 tag.

Another thing to consider - this was a late year addition to the fleet. How likely would Chrysler create a new VIN in the middle of a model year. Can we think of any examples where Chrysler changed VINs mid-stream. Maybe the Charger 500/Daytonas going from XS29 to XX29 - but that was a special case where they HAD to create a new model mid-year in order to qualify the car for racing.

Chrysler did the A93 Coupe Pkg with the Challenger and Barracuda models also.

Given the information we have so far - I would bet that our Polara Specials are all physically VINned DM41 with A71 on the fender tags, and are designated DE41 on the paperwork side of things. With over 6,000 "DE41" Polara Specials being produced, I would hope that we can come up with a few more fender tags to nail this topic down.

Scott.

Scott, you and I are on the same wavelength and I agree with all of your lines of thinking and examples. (I'm still trying to think of a mid year VIN intro other than 68 WM)

I'm working off the belief Polara Specials did not carry a DE VIN but were DM with option package listed on the tag. I just want more than one example to test the theory (trust but verify). It also matters how the DE cars were recorded and tracked.

It's also apparent you know exactly why I asked the question.

Doug, I posted your research question over on the "Dodge Polara/Monaco Owners" group - and the "Keep C Bodies Alive and Rollin" group over on Facebook. Hopefully one of those group members has a Polara Special that has the fender tag/VIN answer we are looking for.
Scott.

How does the polara/ Monaco owners group survive on Facebook?

There used to be a polara board on the net and it tanked.

We had a Monaco polara board on yahoo groups and it did ok for years but now hardly a post in months

Currently 311 members on the Polara/Monaco Facebook page. I know a lot of people are hesitant to sign up, but I have found it a great tool for networking with people that have similar interests. I have Facebook friends spanning the world who have helped me with my sunroof car registry - I would have never met them otherwise.

Currently 311 members on the Polara/Monaco Facebook page. I know a lot of people are hesitant to sign up, but I have found it a great tool for networking with people that have similar interests. I have Facebook friends spanning the world who have helped me with my sunroof car registry - I would have never met them otherwise.
Just sent my request to join.

Boards like this one have done similar for me, remarkable the people I've met because of the cars

For that I may join FB anonymously through a stealth browser in incognito mode with 128 bit encryption via a North Vietnamese server.

But I have a nice Lincoln...
They won't care, as long as you are a fan of Polara/Monacos.

fb.jpg

That was just a little jab that was too easy to pass up, and as much time as he put into his FB entry setup details it required recognition of that.

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand correctly we are comparing the larger number which is total shipped for the entire 70 model year to to the smaller number from the O&A report that identifies what actually shipped by the EO a particular month in this case September? The 2 numbers must come from separate reports. I'm pretty sure Kevin also has an idea where the 2 #s came from.

That report on shipments was a monthly report. The first month would have been August (first month of model year production) and then monthly updates until all the cars were shipped from the assembly plants. The larger numbers are the cumulative totals - take the figures from the month being reported and add them to the previous month's cumulative totals. If all goes well the cumulative totals in the final shipment report equals the number of cars built during the model year.

I know the A71 package is for the Dodge Polara Special package. I have no information on what that package contained although someone years ago stated it was for the slant six engine. Which would make sense. My copy of the final monthly shipments does not mention production for six cylinder Polara Specials. As the slant six was part of a package, that would not show up on shipment reports.

A while back someone posted a list of the 1970 Dodge Polara & Monaco models. The Canadian six cylinder models are correct, but the V8 models are not - engine choices on all V8 Canadian Dodge C bodies included 318, 383 2-bbl, 383 4-bbl and 440

DL - Dodge Polara - 4dr Sedan, 2 seat Wagon, 3 seat Wagon
DM- Dodge Polara Custom - 4dr Sedan, 2dr Hardtop, 2 seat Wagon, 3 seat Wagon
DH - Dodge Monaco - 4dr Sedan, 2dr Hardtop, 4dr Hardtop, 2 seat Wagon, 3 seat Wagon
DP - Dodge Monaco 500 - 4dr Sedan, 2dr Hardtop, 4dr Hardtop
DP - Dodge Monaco 500 Brougham - 4dr Sedan, 2dr Hardtop, 4dr Hardtop

The Canadian market Monaco used the Polara Custom side trim for the sedans and hardtops. Monaco wagons used US Monaco trim as did the Monaco 500.
NO DODGE MONACO CONVERTIBLES FOR 1970 !!! The only convertible was the US Dodge Polara and it was sold in Canada exactly like the US market version, although it could be had with a 318 in Canada.

The Dodge Monaco 500 Brougham was actually a trim package on the Monaco 500, although Chrysler Canada marketed it as a separate series.

Interiors on Canadian 1970 Dodge Polara and Monaco used the Dodge instrument panel but used Fury I, Fury II, Fury III, Sport Fury and Brougham door and quarter panels as well as seats.

I have a C body Dodge and a C body Plymouth on file that were both built at the Windsor plant in October. I've heard Windsor made C bodies 'early' but I don't have enough info to know when they stopped.

The last C body Fury and Polara/Monaco models rolled off the Windsor line in November, 1969.

Back