72 & 74 Imperials

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I looked at a pair of Imperials last night. A 72 coupe that I had intended to buy, and a 74 50th anniversary coupe.
I had seen the 72 about a year and a half ago but the owner wasen't sure he wanted to sell. It would have been an easy save then but after sitting outside it has gone down hill. I'm still considering it but it needs more than I think I want to get involved in. It's in good mechanical condition, recent brakes, exhaust, radiator, belts/hoses, pitman arm, gas tank cleaned. A/C, (both front and rear), blows but just cool.
The only rust is under the vinyl top where it's rusted through in a couple areas. Pans are all solid. Looks like mostly original paint. The rear 1/4's have matching bowed out areas behind the wheel openings on both sides. No sure what that's all about.
Anyways, here are pictures I took last night. First the 72. Looking for $3500. for it.

DSC04075.JPG
DSC04070.JPG
DSC04066.JPG
DSC04072.JPG
DSC04073.JPG
DSC04071.JPG
DSC04067.JPG

Last edited:
Shoot for $2500 on the '72, citing 4-5k (maybe more) for paint and new vinyl top. Talk to a trusted auto body shop plus an upholster. Get their input. As always only purchase what you can afford and fix up as you have the SPARE money. Nothing happens overnight, be patient and positive outlook. Good Luck.

The 74 is much nicer. Recent complete brake job, (4 wheel disc), gas tank cleaned out, New A/C compressor, and get this, A working Auto Temp. New carb, tune up. Runs and drives excellent.
It is one of the 57 50th anniversary models built. The paint is mostly original and should polish out nicely. The vinyl top is new. The interior shows signs of wear but is serviceable and should clean up nicely.
All the makings of a very nice daily driver with some TLC. Currently 2nd owner.
Looking for $5800.00.

DSC04053.JPG
DSC04052.JPG
DSC04051.JPG
DSC04050.JPG
DSC04054.JPG
DSC04055.JPG
DSC04056.JPG
DSC04057.JPG

Shoot for $2500 on the '72, citing 4-5k (maybe more) for paint and new vinyl top. Talk to a trusted auto body shop plus an upholster. Get their input. As always only purchase what you can afford and fix up as you have the SPARE money. Nothing happens overnight, be patient and positive outlook. Good Luck.

Thanks Pete. I think your close to the mark. I'm no stranger to what it takes to upgrade a car like this. I was disappointed to see how much the car had deteriorated in a year and a half. I was thinking of a "fluff, buff and flip" but not enough meat on the bone here. It would be a great driver/project for someone. I'm deep into the restro of my 61 Fury and don't need another project.

I looked at a pair of Imperials last night. A 72 coupe that I had intended to buy, and a 74 50th anniversary coupe.
I had seen the 72 about a year and a half ago but the owner wasen't sure he wanted to sell. It would have been an easy save then but after sitting outside it has gone down hill. I'm still considering it but it needs more than I think I want to get involved in. It's in good mechanical condition, recent brakes, exhaust, radiator, belts/hoses, pitman arm, gas tank cleaned. A/C, (both front and rear), blows but just cool.
The only rust is under the vinyl top where it's rusted through in a couple areas. Pans are all solid. Looks like mostly original paint. The rear 1/4's have matching bowed out areas behind the wheel openings on both sides. No sure what that's all about.
Anyways, here are pictures I took last night. First the 72. Looking for $3500. for it.

View attachment 141880 View attachment 141881 View attachment 141882 View attachment 141883 View attachment 141884 View attachment 141885 View attachment 141886
Are you able to drive it off property? trust the brakes, etc...? Probably trailer it for safety. My brakes failed right off the trailer when they delivered it.

Are you able to drive it off property? trust the brakes, etc...? Probably trailer it for safety. My brakes failed right off the trailer when they delivered it.

Both cars are road worthy, recent brakes on both. The 74 would make a dependable DD as is. Probably the 72 would also.

In some respects, it might hinge upon which era of luxury you liked best? AND wanted to do your own work under the hood! Nothing too major on either one, just a little more on one than the other. What I'm curious of is that on the '74 lh view, it looks like the rear quarter panel color is different from what's on the door and front fender. Of is it "the light"?

The fact the '74 is the 50th Anniv edition makes it a little unique, but not enough to affect the later ultimate value AND ONLY if it's in showroom condition. Otherwise, it's just another car to those who don't care about such things.

The '74 will drive and handle more crisply than the '72, have better a/c performance, and be a little easier to work on under the hood. But it's heritage with similar New Yorkers will always be evident, unlike the '72 with more different "stuff" than '72 New Yorkers.

It would be a tough call, but in the end, the '72 would look better when finished (color combination, size, etc.) than the '74 with it's more mundane exterior color. That leather in the '74s+ was so soft and supple!

CBODY67

Both cars are road worthy, recent brakes on both. The 74 would make a dependable DD as is. Probably the 72 would also.
Get the 74 Will... the price is a little high, but it seems a nice enough car... and we Formal guys would love to drag you into our little world.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't either, not enough doors(I like the 4 door formals) and that color....:eek:

The fact the '74 is the 50th Anniv edition makes it a little unique, but not enough to affect the later ultimate value AND ONLY if it's in showroom condition. Otherwise, it's just another car to those who don't care about such things.
I agree, it's unfortunate that Imperial didn't tout the importance of the 50th Edition, you know like 1 of XX or even special gold badging somewhere on the car. If someone didn't tell you, or were one of the 57 original owners, you'd never know. You could raise the bullshit flag and if the greasy car salesman didn't know the options list he'd have a very hard time proving it.

I concur, the 50th Anniv edition is just a little toooo incognito. A color combination which better showed the lines of the car (i.e., something like the old B5 Blue, or Vintage Sunfire) might have made it more special visually, than the more anonymous "light yellow gold" paint that'd been around since about 1972. Perhaps the dealers didn't order other colors, if possible? Perhaps Chrysler was trying to build an incognito "collector car"?

CBODY67

Back