72 Dodge Coronet wagon

I have acquired a roof rack from a 73 Fury wagon C body car. Thinking about installing it on the B body Coronet. Assuming it will fit. And interested in opinions on this. Should I ?

I say no but I am not a fan of roof racks, they can be functional but still not a fan.

:elmer:I like the looks of a long uncluttered roof. unless you need it I would not install it. I would not drill unnecessary holes in my roof if you held a gun to my head.

IMG_9708.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG
Well I'm sure you've noticed there haven't been any post on the wagons progress for a while. Here's why. Unfortunately progress came to a sudden grinding halt. Before I took the car to Wollfen's shop I tried to find rear floor pans & couldnt. After talking with Gary AKA Wofflen he said he thought he could make some out of some pans he already had. So I took the car to him. He started & work was going well. Then I got the phone call that the wagons rear pans where just too different from anything Gary had at his shop. So I told him about a 68 Fury I've been parting/stripping that had very good pans. He said bring down & he will use those. Then out of the blue I get a phone call from a guy about an hour away. He said he had a 73 New Yorker he had pulled the 440 out of for a B body project & wanted the Yorker gone. He said the floors where solid & sent me pics to confirm. I forwarded the pics to Gary & he said he thinks he could use them. So I called the guy back the next day & struck a deal. He said he was in a hurry to have the car picked up as he lives in a really nice neighborhood. Despite that we could not nail down a time for me to come get the car. The guy is apparently out if town all the time. So after 3 attempts I turned it over to Gary. You call him & see if you can schedule. Same thing. Gary was unable to get the guy nailed down also. So a week plus of time went by & Gary also gave up. We went back to my 68 Fury. So I cleaned out the parts I had stored in it & loaded it up on my trailer. Now with the parts out of it I took pics of the floor & sent them to Gary. Well he called back the next day & said no way those will work. URG!! So another attempt was made by Gary to schedule with the New Yorker guy. Failed again. In the mean time I was able to find a wagon parts car. It's way down in a path in the woods & had suspicions it too had bad floors. Very reluctant to get that car so Gary said we'll bring the 68 down & I'll fab some. Then suddenly the guy with the Yorker called Gary back & they worked out a time to pick the car up today !!!! WHEW !!! So hopefully that will happen & the rear pans will work & my wagon can resume. This has been a long 10 days. No progress being made. Let's all cross our fingers that this will work out.

IMG_9780.JPG
Ok the 68 Fury is on its way to Wollfen's shop today. Between the car & the 73 Chrysler he just bought there should be enough floor pans to fix both my cars he has there. This Fury looks to have a pretty good front clip that's for sale if anyone needs it. And the small block stub frame is clean & looks very good.

IMG_9785.JPG
IMG_9786.JPG
The 68 is down there at Wollfen's shop. He's gonna cut the floors out. It has a decent front clip on it. If someone needs it I'll make you a deal

Yea I was working on this car most of the day Saturday taking parts off of it. Holly Cow. I had to go inside every 2 hours & drink a half gallon of water & changed my shirt 3 times. I had to peel the shirts off. When you get some years on you dehydration is a serious threat. Years ago I could go all day.

A bit of an update, progress is steady, rear pans cut out and the Cbody pans are being trimmed to fit the holes.

Floor8.jpg
Floor9.jpg
rear pans.jpg
rear pans1.jpg

Rear footwells from the Cbody are in, only have to grind welds back and coat everything to look good. I also made a duplicate base bracket to make up a set for the buckets that will be fitted in place of the original bench. I also had to cut down the Cbody seat brackets to the same height as Bbody units. I forgot to take a pic of that but will soon. Its close to being done.

rear pans in place.jpg
seat brackets.jpg

This wek has been taken up by test fitting and removing the Cbody bucket seats Bob supplied me, this also included cutting down the seat brackets to B-body size. Then I had to adjust each seat rail according to how far inboard the seat would sit in relation to the center armrest/seat. The passenger side sits different to the drivers side. Once I was happy with the positions of the holes, I then moved onto grinding back the welds and also applying seam sealer as per factory, well mostly. I ended up doing one of the weld seams accidentally as I think I was losing it from the heat.
Next job will be to make up the brackets for the armrest/seat over the tunnel. Then I can do the last of the cleanup and preparation before applying a coat of zinc chromate to the floor.

Seat fitting.jpg
Seat fitting1.jpg
Seat holes drilled and welds ground off.jpg
Seat holes drilled and welds ground off1.jpg

This wek has been taken up by test fitting and removing the Cbody bucket seats Bob supplied me, this also included cutting down the seat brackets to B-body size. Then I had to adjust each seat rail according to how far inboard the seat would sit in relation to the center armrest/seat. The passenger side sits different to the drivers side. Once I was happy with the positions of the holes, I then moved onto grinding back the welds and also applying seam sealer as per factory, well mostly. I ended up doing one of the weld seams accidentally as I think I was losing it from the heat.
Next job will be to make up the brackets for the armrest/seat over the tunnel. Then I can do the last of the cleanup and preparation before applying a coat of zinc chromate to the floor.

View attachment 132014 View attachment 132015 View attachment 132016 View attachment 132017
Very nice Gary. I meant to ask. Are those seats " Fine Corinthian Leather" ? I'll give you a call today.

Okay a bit of an update, did some priming today since yesterday was overcast drizzly and very humid. Note the fabricated and welded in center armrest brackets. Also finished some panel work to the rear passenger door. Also cleaned out and zinc coated the inside of the tailgate. More tomorrow, stay tuned.

Seat holes drilled and welds ground off3.jpg
Seat holes drilled and welds ground off4.jpg
tailgate internal.jpg
passenger door.jpg

Back