72 Fury 360 timing cover questions

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am ready to re-assemble. I should know better but thought I would remember...
The order of parts on the crankshaft...
Timing gear, then
Slinger with flat part toward gear
Felt-like ring

Is this correct?
Also, that slinger looks awful close to the chain. Is that normal?

Finally, there were two different gasket kits so I got them both... the difference is one comes with a repair sleeve. I don't see any obvious wear on the shaft so my guess is I don't need it. Is there any benefit to installing it anyway? I bet not

IMG_20181104_132750855[1].jpg

IMG_20181104_132758554[1].jpg

Your slinger is installed correctly, you have a tight fit because the double roller chain you installed is slightly wider than the stock unit. Most double roller chains are designed to fit within the stock timing cover, a few require a custom cover, so read you timing gear instructions to see which is appropriate. Be sure to oil the chain and gears as well as the hub seal before you re-install the timing cover. You may have to back off the front pan bolts to get the cover to seat. Do not install a repair sleeve on the hub unless you need it. The hose bib I would leave as it is because those things sometimes twist off and they are a pain to get the broken part out.

Dave

Last edited:
The sleeve is a cheat. If your front main seal is leaking, pull the damper, install sleeve on damper, re-assemble, leak fixed! You would not have to remove the front cover to replace the seal itself.

Back