73 Monaco wagon

Cleaned thespare tire cover cargo panel. Before and after.

FOTC9B0.JPG

5BE51A47-49FC-4D09-B06D-14B464CCD41A.jpeg

97DCE466-D8E6-4EFB-839A-DFE77FE57F30.jpeg

D1E3832E-7988-48EA-9841-62F06117A172.jpeg

The dirt/stains were very ‘set’. I used concentrated dish soap, then I used orange hand cleaner (just a little grit), and then I used some PB Blaster to dissolve the serious black stuff. Then I used the soap and water to get all that off. Soft bristle tooth brush, wash cloth, and soft bristle wheel and tire brush, also.

I think the previous owner may have hauled photocopier equipment in this? I found a random “Ricoh” plastic cap in the car. Maybe the black stuff was toner or ink stains. I dunno. Ancient history.

The dirt/stains were very ‘set’. I used concentrated dish soap, then I used orange hand cleaner (just a little grit), and then I used some PB Blaster to dissolve the serious black stuff. Then I used the soap and water to get all that off. Soft bristle tooth brush, wash cloth, and soft bristle wheel and tire brush, also.

I think the previous owner may have hauled photocopier equipment in this? I found a random “Ricoh” plastic cap in the car. Maybe the black stuff was toner or ink stains. I dunno. Ancient history.

Ancient history is part of the cars history . It would be nice to know.

Ancient history is part of the cars history . It would be nice to know.
I actually left a message once on an answering machine to a “Jr.” who had the same name as the original owner (per the registration I found), in same locality. I didn’t have the nerve to call again, after they didn’t respond. I am assuming the original owner is deceased by now, and it would be their son. Don’t want to cause anyone grief. I may try again...we’ll see.

Removed the air deflector. This is a big deal for me. On pins and needles til I get it back together. Getting an estimate on getting the roof painted. I removed the upper drip molding today also. Next will be the roof rack. Nervous. These parts don’t grow on trees and I don’t want to damage anything.

09DBD865-164F-4FBB-8F57-EA9184C09198.jpeg

You`ll need silk cloves and plastic screw drives to get the job done safely.

Blunt plastic screw drivers with ‘no scratch’ tips...there’s an idea! :icon_fU:

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions for trustworthy metal platers? I have heard of Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN but they seem to have mixed reviews.

@HWYCRZR
Hey Marty, did you ever get your stuff back from the platers??

It was on my list to call them yesterday actually and see what was up. They were a few months behind.
I need to remember to do it first thing Monday.
I was kind of hoping to track down my missing bumpers first and drop them off while picking up my other stuff.

It seems to be a challenge to find a reputable plater. There are stringent environmental regs now and that has probably thinned down those who offer the services. If anyone knows of a good shop I’d like to find one for my roof rack bits. Thanks

How to remove C-pillar trim - it is held on by studs, with nuts that are removable from inside the car. See attached.

A4C19048-F15C-435C-BBD4-1965B5399A44.jpeg

166D1AD4-C129-4160-9F19-AD894EF9C85B.jpeg

605A6F76-E754-425F-8E9D-335836DB1104.jpeg

It seems to be a challenge to find a reputable plater. There are stringent environmental regs now and that has probably thinned down those who offer the services. If anyone knows of a good shop I’d like to find one for my roof rack bits. Thanks

I would recommend these guys. They do white metal too. They are a family business and have done all the metal on my 300.

You can take pictures and he will give you a quote on the work.

metalbrite

I would recommend these guys. They do white metal too. They are a family business and have done all the metal on my 300.

You can take pictures and he will give you a quote on the work.

metalbrite
Thank SO MUCH for the recommendation! Will work on a quote!

Here is some of the work I had done from them. They can also lay in paint if it is required.

FB_IMG_1538861500229.jpg
FB_IMG_1538861478266.jpg

I found a before picture on the pot metal. They strip down all the pitted metal then build it back up with copper, so the second picture shows their work just before chrome.

Chrome 1.sm.jpg
Copper trim.sm.jpg

Back