'74 Fury bumpers restoration

josehf34

Reaction score
Hi guys

In maybe two or three months I'm going to do a paint and body work to my 74 fury sedan but I want to restore both (front and rear) bumpers because has a lot of scratches, the chrome still looking good and doesn't have dents.

I talked to a body shop and they said me that If I re-chrome both bumpers the result will not looking so good like the original chrome, is this true?

I don't know what could be the price for a good looking re-chrome, I just want to have them without scratches
Think stupid high. I would guess $700 or more - each now. I did get a bumper for a 69 Superbee from the BumperBoyz (?) at a swap meet freshly done for $400 about 10 years ago. I should have looked at the backside of the bumper. They welded all over it filling holes. The saying of putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind, looking at what core they used.

I don't know what could be the price for a good looking re-chrome, I just want to have them without scratches
Think stupid high. I would guess $700 or more - each now. I did get a bumper for a 69 Superbee from the BumperBoyz (?) at a swap meet freshly done for $400 about 10 years ago. I should have looked at the backside of the bumper. They welded all over it filling holes. The saying of putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind, looking at what core they used.
OEM quality chroming plus shipping, that 14 hundred dollar figure sounds right. Show chrome, add another 25%.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I just sent a 57 chev rear bumper, (3 pieces- center and two ends), to Tri City Plating in Tenn. Tripple plating cost ..... $630.00. Shipping was about $60.00 through a Fed ex store. I'll pick it up at the Auto fair in Charlotte NC in April.

Bumper Boyz .....? RUN AWAY ....... DON'T WALK.

My 74 Imperial bumpers cost $500.00 each (plus $75 per bumperette).

Looks like they did a great job from the pictures you posted in other threads...plus you don't accept anything less than perfection.

Live with the scratchez or do it right and bite the bullet and pay the price. Nobody ever said the hobby waz inexpensive. BUT PAHLEEZ DON'T PAINT 'UM BODY COLOR. That almost demandz that some where along the line in the future somebody will wanna check to see the chrome underneath the paint! 'Sidez, only '55 Bowtie guyz do that kinda thing

Live with the scratchez or do it right and bite the bullet and pay the price. Nobody ever said the hobby waz inexpensive. BUT PAHLEEZ DON'T PAINT 'UM BODY COLOR. That almost demandz that some where along the line in the future somebody will wanna check to see the chrome underneath the paint! 'Sidez, only '55 Bowtie guyz do that kinda thing

I don't like scratches so definitively will be restored

Yesterday I talked with the body shop owner and he asked to me 350 $ for each bumper. I know some cars with chrome parts restored by him and the results are great. My concern was that the result will be worse than factory chrome no matter the price but now I'm a bit carefree :)

I know other guy and is asking to me 400 $ for each bumper but I don't know him work

Yesterday I talked with the body shop owner and he asked to me 350 $ for each bumper.

$350.00 seems cheap to me. You need to ask some questions before giving him the bumpers....
1st ...... How is the original chrome removed...? If they grind it off, run away.
2nd ..... Are the bumpers straightened and trued as part of the chrome process.
3rd ..... Will they be triple plated, (copper, nichol, chrome). Some platers skip the copper to reduce the cost. In my opinion the copper is the most important part. It creates the smooth base and the nichol/chrome will shine better and last longer. A bumper plated without copper will have a pitted/textured surface when closely inspected.

$350.00 seems cheap to me. You need to ask some questions before giving him the bumpers....
1st ...... How is the original chrome removed...? If they grind it off, run away.
2nd ..... Are the bumpers straightened and trued as part of the chrome process.
3rd ..... Will they be triple plated, (copper, nichol, chrome). Some platers skip the copper to reduce the cost. In my opinion the copper is the most important part. It creates the smooth base and the nichol/chrome will shine better and last longer. A bumper plated without copper will have a pitted/textured surface when closely inspected.

Thank you! those questions will be helpfull to decide who's going to do the job :)

Which is the correct method to remove the chrome?

on the subject of chrome some one recommend a shop that will do small parts bezels etc.

Back