'74 Monaco hood release?

Elwood470

Reaction score
My hood doesn't "pop" up after the latch releases. I pull the lever and the hood will release, but won't "pop up" to get fingers in to the latch.
I've greased everything, adjusted the height of the latch assembly on the radiator support.
I don't have a spring like my B body has, that makes the hood "pop" up.
Ideas?

Should be a pop-up hood spring near where the latch is located. With a divot on the underside of the front of the hood structure where the top of the spring indexes with the hood, IIRC.

IIRC the hood on my '74 Fury III was the same. Particularly bothersome in winter with snow & ice on the hood!! At times I would slide my hair comb down the crack, turn it a quarter turn and use it to lift the hood! A spring would have been a welcome addition! Lindsay

20220703_135746.jpg

Not sure of your clearances or weatherstripping at front of hood, but maybe a valve spring could be clamped or strapped at the top of the radiator yoke support panel, such that when you release the hood latch, you would have pop up.

In snow and ice, I've had to hit the hood with the side of my fist to get it to release. Very frustrating. Good luck, Elwood.
Ben

IIRC the hood on my '74 Fury III was the same. Particularly bothersome in winter with snow & ice on the hood!! At times I would slide my hair comb down the crack, turn it a quarter turn and use it to lift the hood! A spring would have been a welcome addition! Lindsay
Must have been one hellova comb. Those hoods are heavy!

Back