76 Gran Fury Police Package

cop440

Reaction score
DSCF0163.jpg
I'm new to this forum:ImNewHere:, as I found it while trying to track down C-body parts (which I didn't realize were so difficult to find).
Pictured above is my former South Dakota Highway Patrol, 1976:70s_rule: Gran Fury. It runs and drives like a charm. I bought it about 4 years ago from a farmer in South Dakota for $700.00 As you can see- I got a really good deal. I have a couple of questions that I'm guessing some folks here might have the answers to.

First- does anyone make a dashcap for this car, or do I need to search forever for a decent used one?

Second- does anyone make a reproduction 140 mph certified speedometer? OR- does anyone repair / refresh this type of speedometer. Mine works fine- although it runs about 10 mph slow- but it has the normal yellowing of the numbers that I'd love to make white again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A couple of strange things about this car- it appears as though the SDHP modified the passenger's side headlight housing, so the headlight sits in there sideways. When you hit the brights, that beam goes off into the right ditch. (I'm guessing this was for watching for deer?) I took the whole assembly apart and it will take some altering to make it fit right again eventually... but it was clear that someone did this intentionally.

They also REMOVED the front seatbelt buckles. I'm not sure what the logic in that would be. The shoulder/lap belt is there, but the buckle on the transmission hump was removed long ago.

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions you all have!!

DSCF0163.jpg

Welcome to the site. You may be able to correct the speedo accuracy by changing the speedo gear in the trans.

Welcome to the site. You may be able to correct the speedo accuracy by changing the speedo gear in the trans.
+1. The rear tire size might also be throwing off your speedo. You can have your speedometer silk screened to restore it. It's not going to be cheap though. I'm going to guess the headlight bucket was just a shoddy body shop repair. Post some more pictures when you can.

Here are some more photos of my car and of some of the documentation that I found in the glove box!

942897_10152869769665717_1746707061_n.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

DSCF0161.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0153.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

Look at that inspection tag attached under the fender tag, I don't think I've seen one that busy.

That must of been the Chief's car. Super nice! Did you find a build sheet?

This is really cool and my favorite thing .. that I've noticed so far anyway is the red spot ... but the condition, documentation, and options are outstanding

Back