76 ROYAL MONACO BROUGHAM IN KB8 ...NOT MINE...YET

Thanks Mark! Next time I’m on the left coast we will definitely need to go junkyarding....

and here's where @Dobalovr 's hood ornament came from hehe

20180204_151225-1 (2).jpg

Sooooo giving the obvious lack of tune and poor carb condition what would you say is causing the excessive blue (oil burning) smoke any time you rev it above 1000RPMS....nothing at idle but under load or revving it up blue smoke...valve seals or burnt valve? Also have the D/S cornering lamp lit all the time while running. Power to ground as it dims in time with the turn signals I am guessing....and so it begins!

heres 2 more rough ones besides mine here on Vancouver Island.
neither are running or complete anymore.
the blue one doesnt have alot of options, the black one has the optional upgrade interior like graham's. you can see the plain horn pad.
the dippy package was optional in 76 & 77.
i used to know roughly how many were made but can't find the info at the moment.
i think it was under 1,000 maybe under 800 for both years ?

mark

View attachment 253568

View attachment 253569

View attachment 253570

View attachment 253571

View attachment 253572

View attachment 253573

Mark,
I think that blue one with the white top is the car I passed on!!! It was in Courtenay in the 90's.

Sooooo giving the obvious lack of tune and poor carb condition what would you say is causing the excessive blue (oil burning) smoke any time you rev it above 1000RPMS....nothing at idle but under load or revving it up blue smoke...valve seals or burnt valve? Also have the D/S cornering lamp lit all the time while running. Power to ground as it dims in time with the turn signals I am guessing....and so it begins!

I would say valve guides and seals would be a big contributor to the blue smoke.

Based on my own experience with a 76 400, I'll go with seals.#6 plug fouled up really quickly on mine.

I would refresh the heads for sure and you won't ever have to worry about them again.

It can go on and on....since you got it apart. Cam, lifters, push rods.

I ended up just putting a performance crate engine in mine.

I would refresh the heads for sure and you won't ever have to worry about them again.

It can go on and on....since you got it apart. Cam, lifters, push rods.

I ended up just putting a performance crate engine in mine.

Kinda like using a sledge hammer to hang a picture Bob??:poke:

Was it a one year only option?

I've only seen another one a few years ago and it was very low mileage. I hesitated for a minute and someone swooped in and got it before I could pull the trigger.
The Diplomat package RMB was available in 76 &77, according to the dealership data books.

Soooo couldn’t take it any longer and switched out the off-centre horn pad for a spare Doba version - at least its centered. Also put the new Eddy AVS II on. Good news the bog is gone bad news is it has a miss or stumble that causes a popping through the exhaust at idle. Haven’t adjusted the timing yet but this rough idle makes me worried.....
A983E956-D9B8-48EC-ADE7-9FC71F8BBD0A.jpeg
08A1F108-2C45-45C8-9334-B01C7B713394.jpeg

Haven’t adjusted the timing yet but this rough idle makes me worried.....
Get her into the ball park and and give her some miles and a couple tanks of fresh fuel and new fluids... then worry if she doesn't clear up.

That second fender tag is an inspection stamp tag. As the car progressed down the line, the final inspector for that area (frame, etc) would apply his mark to the tag.

Popping in the exhaust is usually ignition miss fire and gas lights in exhaust.
I could be wrong but my last 2 problems with this have both come from bad spark plug wires ( me being a cheap *** and in a hurry) took the time with new wires and both cars cleaned up.

Next up plugs/wires/cap/rotor absolutely. They haven’t been done in a while. Also getting some blue smoke on acceleration so valve seals/guides likely.

Back