78 Newport Electric Windows

MBMayor

Reaction score
I have a 4 door 78 Newport that unfortunately only two windows work and they are slow! Any advice on how to restore / repair electric windows? I believe the window motor spins but nothing happens?

All help is much appreciated!
Thanks!!

spray the felt & rubber where the glass makes contact. that should speed the slow ones up, as for the ones that aren't moving give a direct (fonzy to the jukebox bump) not too hard! to the door switch in question. might do the trick b4 you start taking stuff apart.

spray the felt & rubber where the glass makes contact. that should speed the slow ones up, as for the ones that aren't moving give a direct (fonzy to the jukebox bump) not too hard! to the door switch in question. might do the trick b4 you start taking stuff apart.
Thanks! Recommendation for the spray?

No offense, but unless you enjoy smeary windows and/or and cleaning them every time they move, do not spray silicone on the felts where they contact the glass.

The friction is in the 40 y/o grease (now turned to glue) in the guides. It needs to be cleaned and re-lubed with white lithium or similar.

Motors that make noise but don't move have broken nylon "hockey pucks". No time to explain, (someone will) but I wanted to chime in before you smeared up your glass and beat the hell out of your door.

Yep, the weatherstrip isn't the issue... Don't grease it up.

As Carmine just said, grease up the guides.

Here's the usual internal problem and a couple ways to deal with it. I prefer the delrin "pucks" available on eBay, but some like the ground nut solution. FWIW, the drive can also be replaced if want to for not a lot of money.

How to rebuild Chrysler Power Window motor clutch assembly

I've added relays to mine and they go up and down faster now, but only do that after you figure out what's wrong.

Power Window Relays, now with Power Vents

If you do take the motors apart, be very careful with the spring. It can hurt you for one thing and you don't want it to unwind. Do a search on here for "power windows" and you'll find some tips on taking them apart.

Just speaking from my experiences , mines a 4 door hardtop summer car so I probably don’t notice the streaking as much as there always down & yes unlike the mystical unicorn a light love tap can wake up a switch that’s been sleeping. It’s a lot more fun to drive these beauties than spend your weekend tearing stuff apart but if it’s on your off season list of things to do list then I stand corrected.

No offense, but unless you enjoy smeary windows and/or and cleaning them every time they move, do not spray silicone on the felts where they contact the glass.

The friction is in the 40 y/o grease (now turned to glue) in the guides. It needs to be cleaned and re-lubed with white lithium or similar.

Motors that make noise but don't move have broken nylon "hockey pucks". No time to explain, (someone will) but I wanted to chime in before you smeared up your glass and beat the hell out of your door.

Very helpful! Thanks for the info...

Back