8 3/4 Rear Wheel bearing - can't get it out!

Virgil J.

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a plane jane 8 3/4 rear end (non-locking). Trying to replace the worn bearing.
I got the passenger wheel bearing out easily. Then I tried the left side (Driver's) and I, and a few "mechanics" couldn't get it out. we tried using a slide puller hooked up to bolt-on claw type adapter.
Any suggestions?

On 8 3/4 rear ends the bearing should be pressed on the axle. Not in the axle housing. Try putting a little heat on it.

So you can't get the axle out of the housing or the bearing off the axle ?

Can't get the axle out of the housing. I'd post a picture, but it'd just be that slide puller bolted to the hub...

Is this a splined axel or a later model. The earlier splined you will need a specific puller to get the hub off. The later model has a bolt on retainer that is accessed through a hole in the lug flange.

Hi Virgil, 70Bigblock is right, if the car is 64 or older it will have the splined axles in it requiring a 120 ton puller. If it is a later car, each side has 5 nuts in the flange holding the axle in, sometimes it's easy to miss the bottom nut.

h
71G6Lqf-NPL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi Virgil, 70Bigblock is right, if the car is 64 or older it will have the splined axles in it requiring a 120 ton puller. If it is a later car, each side has 5 nuts in the flange holding the axle in, sometimes it's easy to miss the bottom nut.

It's a '66. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any nuts. I put the socket through the axle end holes and removed all the nuts...

I think the '66 will have the standard later axles... Chances are the bearing is just rusted into the housing. Take a soft mallet and hit the backing plate out. Then take a dead blow and hit the housing, right behind the axle flange. That should loosen the grip ont eh bearing and the axle should slide out with the retaining flange and axle bearing on it.

May sound silly but have you checked to be sure all 5 nuts are off? (I fought with one of mine till I realized I missed one).

Alan

Those nuts strip fairly easy and will not come off sometimes. Next wind the adjuster on pass side all the way in, put the axel back in line up the retainer with studs and then smack the axel into housing with sledge, wood on the flange for a cushion, just give it a good thump not trying to break anything or drive railroad spikes, and the drivers side should pop loose. Good luck.

Man with the hat - are you referring to the passenger side brake adjuster? So I smack on the pass side asle and this will help loosen up the driver's side? I will try this.

Back