A body vin decode help please

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
C158D215-8D49-4F38-9F08-C54C5851E5CD.jpeg
Can somebody decode this vin & tell what this car came with. Engine, trans, rear etc.
C158D215-8D49-4F38-9F08-C54C5851E5CD.jpeg
Also production numbers. I believe is a 69 Barracuda. Thank you

‘69 383 HP Cuda, Built in Hamtramck. That’s all you’re getting from the VIN.
378 total made, 130 4 spds and the rest autos.

B= Plymouth Barracuda
H= High Price Class
29= 2 door sports hardtop
H= 383-4 barrel HP
9= 1969
B=Hamtramck Mi.
268189 sequence number
Production numbers differ between the A53 and A57 packages.
(Galen Govier option code book)

Last edited:
Believe Formula S or Cuda option would require data plate. 29 is the fastback, very neat car.

‘69 383 HP Cuda, Built in Hamtramck. That’s all you’re getting from the VIN.
378 total made, 130 4 spds and the rest autos.
Owner says is was a 383 Factory 4 speed car. Claims to still have the original engine. It’s rough but might be worth it if it’s that rare. 130 rare. I can get the data plate photo

The fender tag should tell if it is a Formula S (A53 package) or a Cuda 383 package (A57 package).

As long as the front end is there the rest of whatever it could need is relatively easy to source being an A-body with good aftermarket support. Besides an M-code (which were all automatics), that is the top dog for a 2nd gen Barracuda.

As long as the front end is there the rest of whatever it could need is relatively easy to source being an A-body with good aftermarket support. Besides an M-code (which were all automatics), that is the top dog for a 2nd gen Barracuda.
Fenders & hood are shot.

Ok update on the Barracuda. It’s a true 4 speed 383 car. Came from the factory that way so says the owner. I plan to get a pic of the data plate. He says he has the original engine in his shop. He use to be a well known local MOPAR drag racer & pull truck racer. He wants $7500 ! 130 4 speeds is indeed something special but the car is ROUGH & sitting in the woods. It needs every panel replaced. I’m going to back & talk to him. Maybe make an offer IDK. If I do end up with it I don’t have the money or time for a proper restoration this car would need. I would just be saving it for somebody who does. Im having a hard time just walking away but $7500 !

Price is steep for how you describe it, though as the saying goes - where are you going to find another one???

If they're valuable and have collector interest you should be able to sell it.

Good luck - if he really wants to sell he'll do a deal.

This is the bad thing about videoing all the old cars that I’ve been doing. I’ve come across a lot of cars that I know will never be fixed & some too far gone to fix. I’ve been shown some stuff the owners wouldn’t let me video but they wanted me to see it & talk with me about it.

Price is steep for how you describe it, though as the saying goes - where are you going to find another one???

If they're valuable and have collector interest you should be able to sell it.

Good luck - if he really wants to sell he'll do a deal.
The automatics restored seem to sell in the 40 K range. 4 speed cars & original low mileage survivor cars I’m sure are north of that.

No offense meant to anyone here but I don't quite get it...$7500 for a car that's completely shot and needs every single panel replaced? I know a lot of guys are crazy about Barracudas (can't figure out why) but still, that's insane.

Alternatively, you could get just the engine and use it to save a Newport, Fury, or Polara (4 Door Sedan, of course)

Look at Chargers, and the stupid money they get in horrible condition. People want them, and they will pay. If parts are out there, especially aftermarket, then to the right guy it's a no-brainer. I'm just about to go get a car that needs a complete restoration, it's gonna be worth it to me. So there may be that guy out there looking for this car.

Back