A Competitve Make of Interest in the Slab Side years

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
While I am one who prefers the fuselage and Forward Look Years, I do also have a soft spot for some of the Slab Side year vehicles as well. In particular, I really like the 1965 Chrysler 300Ls, 66 Dodge Monacos and the 1968 Plymouth Furys.

I had a bit of a choice under which section to post this thread, but ended up choosing the slab side years.......................

On this forum, I have also expressed in the past that I felt that GM had the best styled vehicles of all the manufacturers in these years overall, and in particular I liked the circa 1966 Buick Riveras and Wildcats plus some Oldsmobiles, among others. There is one other GM model that also stands out in my mind and I noted in the most recent Rock Auto Newsletter, they highlighted it. These cars were designed in the Bill Mitchell era at GM when he was their chief (I believe these models that I like were the beginning of the fuselage style that probably influenced Elwood Engle at Chrysler to push the fuselage look at Chrysler starting with the 1969s).

Here is a photo of it and the background of this car - its latest owner resides in a very unusual part of the world where one might not imagine to find a car like this - here is the brief story:

1-6-22car.jpg

Here is my 1965 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. I am 26 years old and live on the Maltese island of Gozo. It is a tiny island but the classic car scene here is unbelievable. I have always yearned to buy a classic American "land yacht." They have always fascinated me; with their great presence and comfort which only an American car can offer. I saw a 1965 Cadillac at a local car show and immediately wanted one. I started searching online and I found this gorgeous car in Texas. A rust free, Crimson Firemist Red, Sandalwood (Beige) interior, twin spoke steering wheel (apparently a rare option) with only 41,000 original miles! It even has the original sticker on the rear bumper from the dealership in South Carolina where it was purchased in 1965.

I wanted to fly to Texas myself to take a look at this car before buying it, but due to Covid it was not possible. But, I decided to risk it and buy the car sight unseen. The journey from the US to Malta took about eight weeks. During that time I learned of RockAuto from other enthusiasts online. I ordered basic service/tune up parts (spark plugs, engine gaskets, carb rebuild kit, etc.) which I wanted handy the moment the car arrived.

I believe that driving a classic car is part of maintaining it. I have driven it about 2,500 miles in the past year. RockAuto encourages me to keep doing so knowing that it will not be a pain to find parts to maintain and repair my Cadillac when needed.

Adrian in Malta

1-6-22carFeature.png

Last edited:
Thanks for this...I want to investigate the car scene on Gozo now.That Caddie is a very beautiful car no doubt. I also like the 1971 Buick Riviera very much. They still don't top my 1970 Fury for me though.

That car is near perfection!:wideyed:
Slabs are the finest.

That was back in the time when each GM brand had their own unique engineering and feel, which was ONE of their strongpoints back then. Nothing like they are now, by observation. Certainly, there were some commonalities under the skin, back then, as in automatic transmissions, a/c systems, Saginaw Gear items, etc. But then, too, GM and Ford and Chrysler EACH had their own target markets and demographics which gave a diverse feel and orientation to each manufacuter's products. Reasons for brand loyalty, too!

For the GM brands of 1965, many tended to have "understated elegance" in their basic designs, with Cadillac at the top of that mix, to me. But with known and identifiable styling cues, as in "tail fins" but not rocket stabilizing tail fins, as in 1959, for example.

But, to me, in the end, Chrysler had them all beat on engineering items, by observation. Especially on longevity and durability. Plus their driving feel just made things better. As one car company used to state, (Enjoyable) driving is a matter of feel, or something like that. Back then, there were LOTS of choices to try and experience. Which is what made being a car enthusiast back then so much fun!

Thanks for sharing, @saforwardlook! I hope the Caddy's new owner enjoys it too!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have a list of cars I'd like to own that's on my "If Money Was No Object" list. Many other makes and models are on it, not just C bodies.

Following this post with interest - post 'em up boys and girls!

My if it can't be a Mopar choice would be a 65 Pontiac Gran Prix. Love the lines and big car appearance. The interior, especially the dash layout was great.
gp1.jpg
gp2.jpg
gp3.jpg

One of my favorite non mopar is the 1959 Buick
Almost have to put it in the "forward look" category
53016.jpg

Very nice. A '65 Coupe de Ville or Calais has always been "on my list". I especially liked the silver coupe with red interior on Mad Men.

q12-1965-Cadillac-Coupe-de-Ville-1-1024x575.jpg

Here's a short list:

'61 Olds 88
61olds85519-1.jpg

'61 Ford Starliner
61ford98343-1.jpg

'66 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 or 427
impala1.jpg

'63 Ford Galaxie 500
14919296-1963-ford-galaxie-500-xl-std.jpg

1969 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
1969_chevrolet_caprice-pic-3953291636233926076-1600x1200.jpg

But still, my all time faves are these 3 (1 of which I own):

'61 Chrysler New Yorker wagon
full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=0.jpg

1966 Dodge Monaco (my old car, I sold it a while ago)
TS10_r035_02.jpg

My 4404 4-speed car, a "never will sell it" car
Red Dodge Pics 009 copy.jpg

70 Sport Fury or nicely optioned S23
16.jpg

Love these Fleetoods, my mom always drove a newer one every 3 years thanks to a cousin in the leasing business.

0425E8DC-16CA-4B19-98A4-62E0AFEC5F98.jpeg

83FECCC2-B8FA-470A-9B77-9D2D102FCEC6.jpeg

Of course the Coupe de Ville 'vert is always nice.

3D574E5C-8822-4F2A-9D0C-B74276B8BF0B.jpeg

Although the ‘73 El Dorado is out of the scope of the thread, I think it continued to carry the styling from the earlier years. Besides, I have lusted after these ever since I saw Clint Eastwood drive one in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

83A24FBD-5FF4-4D5A-9161-F1814A028676.jpeg

FA9E1923-ED7E-4269-8AA9-4012428F50EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a short list:

'61 Olds 88
View attachment 507981

'61 Ford Starliner
View attachment 507982

'66 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 or 427
View attachment 507983

'63 Ford Galaxie 500
View attachment 507984

1969 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
View attachment 507985

But still, my all time faves are these 3 (1 of which I own):

'61 Chrysler New Yorker wagon
View attachment 507986

1966 Dodge Monaco (my old car, I sold it a while ago)
View attachment 507987

My 4404 4-speed car, a "never will sell it" car
View attachment 507979

70 Sport Fury or nicely optioned S23
View attachment 507980

I can get behind all your picks Ross except for the fender skirts on the 70 Sport Fury..................................:poke:

I also thought GM's 1961 models were all excellent as well.......................

I’m a big fan of space race cars.
I’ve always thought the entire 1959 GM lineup was a attractive lineup. Also a 60 Ford Starliner and 60 Oldsmobile 98
4801CD4A-1C7A-4901-8020-8D0CDC22EDEE.png
16AB87FB-97F9-4A73-9D37-9CB9AD6AF339.jpeg
C537E591-4DAA-43B8-A820-2797EFE89C5E.jpeg

B969C862-8C3A-46D3-85E9-8A3A3606ADA0.jpeg

I like the 67 wildcat......
View attachment 508042

While I like the Wildcat too, I like the 66 Rivera probably the best of all the GM cars ever.................................................

1966-buick-riviera.jpg

While these cars were being built when Chrysler was doing the slab sides, I felt many of the mid-60s GM cars were already presaging the fuselage look with the inward A & C pillars as they go upward and the lower sill areas tucked under. For me, the 1966 Rivera is the best looking car I have ever seen............................... I felt every single line was just perfect.

That was back in the time when each GM brand had their own unique engineering and feel, which was ONE of their strongpoints back then. Nothing like they are now, by observation. Certainly, there were some commonalities under the skin, back then, as in automatic transmissions, a/c systems, Saginaw Gear items, etc. But then, too, GM and Ford and Chrysler EACH had their own target markets and demographics which gave a diverse feel and orientation to each manufacuter's products. Reasons for brand loyalty, too!

For the GM brands of 1965, many tended to have "understated elegance" in their basic designs, with Cadillac at the top of that mix, to me. But with known and identifiable styling cues, as in "tail fins" but not rocket stabilizing tail fins, as in 1959, for example.

But, to me, in the end, Chrysler had them all beat on engineering items, by observation. Especially on longevity and durability. Plus their driving feel just made things better. As one car company used to state, (Enjoyable) driving is a matter of feel, or something like that. Back then, there were LOTS of choices to try and experience. Which is what made being a car enthusiast back then so much fun!

Thanks for sharing, @saforwardlook! I hope the Caddy's new owner enjoys it too!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I agree with your comments generally and for example, while I really like the 66 Rivera in terms of style, driving one at a GM dealership back then when my dad was considering buying one, I was very disappointed. The engine felt weak, the suspension even on the Gran Sport model didn't feel firm enough to handle very well and I felt I was sitting in a hole trying to peer out of a very high dash panel an the rear visibility was poor. So he passed on it.

Chrysler really had them beat in many ways engineering wise. The GM cars were smooth and quiet and felt classy, but the driving experience was nothing near as nice as the Chrysler products.

I might add a 1961 Pontiac Ventura to the mix. Predecessor to the Grand Prix. I've always had a soft spot for them. Think 421/dual quad/ 4 sp.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9vTfOTTmm9RNX6j0vT9oGUe1dS1rGA35xmQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Back