A few problems with my '78 NYBS...

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I installed a new fuel pump and filter on my '78 NYBS a couple of weeks ago, after the fuel pump died back in May. Obviously, the car hadn't been driven all Summer. I drove it afterwards, and the car drove fine, without problems.

Forward to today. I was prepping the car for a '78-older car event, where the route is 120 miles long with three stops. Put two new valve cover gaskets on the car, checked my work, and drove to the gas station. The gas gauge barely moved, so gas was a priority! It was running like crap on the way to the gas station. It felt like I was pulling a travel trailer, as the car was surging somewhat through the powerband. It idles ok, but when I hooked the vacuum gauge up to the car, it showed only 3 inches! Idle should be a steady 16-20 inches. When sitting in Park, I can run the throttle up without any issues at all, and the vacuum gauge held steady at 20" at roughly 3,000 RPM (gauging that by ear). Re-checked all the vacuum lines, then took it out for a nine-mile run. Still ran like crap. It really hates 55 or higher right now! It feels OK at a steady 45 mph, but other than that, it's just not right. Plus, it dieseled on two occasions at shutdown.

I'm running 87 octane 100% gasoline (NO ethanol!) that I have been getting from the same station for several years. It ran the same before and after fill-up. Before the fuel pump quit, it ran like a top! I have done nothing to the 440 in the interim, other than the valve cover gaskets. It ran the same before and after that, too. Fluid levels are good. Vacuum lines visually appear OK. Air filter has maybe 1,000 miles on it. Runs like crap, cold or warm.

Oh, and another thing. As I'm driving down the road, it sounds like I've got a subwoofer on at low volume in the trunk, as there is this droning coming from the rear, or the trunk. The spare is secured, with no other cargo in the trunk. This is audible with the windows up or down. I checked for bodies. None there.

So, the questions...First, could the rear diff be going out, causing the surge feeling? There doesn't appear to be any bearing noise. I've had a Mopar 8-3/4" go out before, and the noise this makes is not the same at all. Could I be having a tire separate? I've had that happen before, as well, and it made the car handle like crap.

Second, the engine. I can not figure out why I'd have just three inches of vacuum at idle! I've put a total of 17 miles on this full tank of gas, and the gauge already moved down to 7/8 of a tank, so that's nearly two gallons of a 22-gallon tank gone! That means eight and a half miles per gallon! The engine is the original, 102K mile, bone-stock 440 with a TQ and electronic ignition. No LB on my car! That's long gone.

Two problems, guys. Any ideas???

Re-checked all the vacuum lines, then took it out for a nine-mile run. Still ran like crap.
Bet you didn't check the vaccum lines under the dash for the Automatic Parking Brake Release.
That one eluded me for a month.

After you check those lines Stan mentioned. If that isn't it,
With the engine off check to see if the secondary's are closed completely.

There's one or two charcoal canister's by the right headlight when you open the hood. Make sure all of the vacuum lines (many of them) are hooked up to the canisters.

Here's something that sounded like a subwoofer when disconnected from the air cleaner. There's also a metal tube(s) coming off the back or side of the exhaust manifold(s) that connects to a check valve and then to an emission hose that connects to the bottom of the air cleaner that when disconnected will make a hell of a racket when the engine is running. My 400 had only one running off the right side, I think the 440 has one from each side that joins together near the rear of the intake.

The vacuum lines under the dash for the parking brake...could be?

I plan on looking everything over again this week, when I get time after work.

The vacuum lines under the dash for the parking brake...could be?
I plan on looking everything over again this week, when I get time after work.

There's vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold "tree" through the firewall and into a module on top of the steering column right near the brake pedal. When you shift out of PARK, it opens the vacuum to an actuator that releases the parking brake. Chock your wheels, put the tranny into NEUTRAL while the engine is running and suff your head up there and listen for a hissing.

Back