Ac condenser is larger than the radiator hole!

64Imperial

Reaction score
I ordered an ac condenser last winter so I could build my ac system this summer, but when I went to just mock fit it in my Imperial it's way wider than the radiator hole!

Should I search for a new one? I can't return this one unfortunately, but I'm worried that airflow around it could be a problem.

What do you think?

The condenser needs to fit close to the rad and match the core support hole size so it will cool properly.

DSCF5807.JPG

DSCF5808.JPG

DSCF5809.JPG

Since you can no longer send it back, go with what you have. I think it is close enough to work properly even though it is a little too big. You will lose some cooling surface, but going to a smaller condenser will do the same thing. You might notice a small difference in cooling on a 100 degree day but you probably do not get a lot of those in MD.

Dave

Since you can no longer send it back, go with what you have. I think it is close enough to work properly even though it is a little too big. You will lose some cooling surface, but going to a smaller condenser will do the same thing. You might notice a small difference in cooling on a 100 degree day but you probably do not get a lot of those in MD.

Dave
Thank you for your suggestion, I might just think about using it or just buying the correct one and holding on to the bigger one as a spare if something happens.

It doesn't get to 100 often in MD but here lately it's been 95ish and very muggy.

Thank you for your suggestion, I might just think about using it or just buying the correct one and holding on to the bigger one as a spare if something happens.

It doesn't get to 100 often in MD but here lately it's been 95ish and very muggy.
You won’t lose any noticeable cooling capability with the condenser that you have, especially if you are still going to use R-12. In fact, you may gain a very small increase in the ability of the condenser to transfer the heat from the evaporator!

You won’t lose any noticeable cooling capability with the condenser that you have, especially if you are still going to use R-12. In fact, you may gain a very small increase in the ability of the condenser to transfer the heat from the evaporator!
I hope! Lol that would be amazing! I will be using R12 and the condenser is the parallel flow type so I'm hoping it will work very well

Back