Accurate Exhaust getting rid of C-Body Inventory for good.

shooter65

Reaction score
Sent an email to Thomas Swope at Accurate Exhaust Welcome to Accurate Exhaust Products, Ltd regarding pipes for my 69 sport fury 440 HP. Looks like they're getting out of C-Body production. Rather disconcerting.

upload_2016-1-1_15-55-29.png

upload_2016-1-1_15-55-1.png

That's just crazy.

If they make/bend the pipes themselves, why would they do that? I can understand not keeping inventory, but geez... you just feed the pipe into the bender if you need to make some.

I've spoken with Waldron Exhaust a couple of times and he is willing to bend pipes for me if I can get my exhaust pipes off in one piece. The problem with him is he outsources his mufflers and will neck down the exhaust pipe to go into a 2-1/4 muffler inlet. The guy building the mufflers doesn't do 2-1/2 inlets for some reason.

Anybody know anyone else who does exhaust?

Most exhaust shops have a set of cards so they can custom bend most anything. My guy does anyway. He can also bend from a old pipe as was said above. The only draw back is it's compression bent not mandrel, bad for high performance ok for anything else

We don't have a decent muffler shop around here anymore. The only places now are chains and they don't want anything to do with custom or old work. Even if they did want to do the work, I don't know if I would trust my car to them.

Seem pretty dumb to me. As mentioned, if they already have the plans for them, why stop offering the product? I understand not wanting to keep inventory on something that doesn't sell a whole lot. Shouldn't be nothing to bend up an order though when placed.

TTI just seems like too much $$ IMO. Spend all that, then install it, or take the car to a reputable shop, and have it done for half the price.

Anybody know anyone else who does exhaust?
Most exhaust shops have a set of cards so they can custom bend most anything. My guy does anyway. He can also bend from a old pipe as was said above. The only draw back is it's compression bent not mandrel, bad for high performance ok for anything else
We don't have a decent muffler shop around here anymore. The only places now are chains and they don't want anything to do with custom or old work. Even if they did want to do the work, I don't know if I would trust my car to them.

I personally would ask around and call the non-chain places myself. If your after originality, IDK where to find what you want, but it may be out there. I am more of a function guy. I really like the idea of an upgrade to stainless, which on a fair weather cruiser should be a lifetime system. IF you want duals, a custom system would give you more flexibility for routing and outlets, plus X or H pipe.

If your car is 1975 or newer and came with a Catalytic Convertor, its a problem for a shop to install for you. EPA fine for defeating or removing a Catalyst is $25,000, it's a federal law so it applies in all 50 states. Enforcement is spotty so I know you know someone who didn't have a problem, but it is enforced against shops from time to time and could be enforced against anyone. To my knowledge its never been used on private individuals, but they recently tightened up catalyst replacement standards which are affecting the legality of universal replacement parts and some aftermarket brands... this could be related to some of the difficulty you have with chain stores not wanting your work.

Face it, your car is probably older than the guy your asking to work on it. To him it's unfamiliar and a PITA, so he may use the easy way out and say he cant or against company policy. As far as I understand, they could make the pipe and not install it... but that's trying for a loophole and they may not find it worth the risk.

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

I personally would ask around and call the non-chain places myself. If your after originality, IDK where to find what you want, but it may be out there. I am more of a function guy. I really like the idea of an upgrade to stainless, which on a fair weather cruiser should be a lifetime system. IF you want duals, a custom system would give you more flexibility for routing and outlets, plus X or H pipe.

If your car is 1975 or newer and came with a Catalytic Convertor, its a problem for a shop to install for you. EPA fine for defeating or removing a Catalyst is $25,000, it's a federal law so it applies in all 50 states. Enforcement is spotty so I know you know someone who didn't have a problem, but it is enforced against shops from time to time and could be enforced against anyone. To my knowledge its never been used on private individuals, but they recently tightened up catalyst replacement standards which are affecting the legality of universal replacement parts and some aftermarket brands... this could be related to some of the difficulty you have with chain stores not wanting your work.

Face it, your car is probably older than the guy your asking to work on it. To him it's unfamiliar and a PITA, so he may use the easy way out and say he cant or against company policy. As far as I understand, they could make the pipe and not install it... but that's trying for a loophole and they may not find it worth the risk.

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf
Not a problem for me. Mine is a 69 so no cat on mine.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'm going to talk to the guy at Waldron Exhaust again. I may have misunderstood him with regard to the exhaust pipe but even if I haven't, I think he will be closest to original I can get at this point. Besides, he was very accommodating and willing to work with me to bend what I needed. Maybe I can get the mufflers from Accurate if they still have them and then have Waldron bend up all the pipes. Waldron's Exhaust, car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers

Walker has mufflers that are like 3 feet long like a original C body not sure why you would want that but to each their own

I'm thinking I'm going to talk to the guy at Waldron Exhaust again. I may have misunderstood him with regard to the exhaust pipe but even if I haven't, I think he will be closest to original I can get at this point. Besides, he was very accommodating and willing to work with me to bend what I needed. Maybe I can get the mufflers from Accurate if they still have them and then have Waldron bend up all the pipes. Waldron's Exhaust, car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers

Since Accurate is discontinuing C-body stuff, it would behoove me to think they would provide you with their muffler source if you asked them.
The source is most likely in Mexico or Canada who then could provide you with other retailers.

Nothing is easy with C-bodies. Separates the men from the Chevy fanbois.

Walker has mufflers that are like 3 feet long like a original C body not sure why you would want that but to each their own
OCD's a *****.... I ordered the mufflers from Accurate and I'll order the pipes from Waldron's next week. It's a highly documented car so I'm going to try to make it as original as I can. Part of the enjoyment for me is the challenge of a correct restoration. And for C-Bodies, challenge is an understatement.

Back