Adopted Imperial

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As stated in some other Threads, I have a friends Imperial for 4 weeks because he is in Mexico on vacation.

And because you all love pictures and I haven't posted any, I thought I'll do that now. More will come in the next 2 weeks. I will be on the BBTR meeting next weekend and then on a roadtrip for three days back to Eindhoven, Netherlands to give the car back.
2016-06-09 20.45.38.jpg

20160604_091947.jpg

20160605_202024.jpg

20160606_074627.jpg

20160606_175955.jpg

20160606_195927.jpg

20160610_235040.jpg

20160617_162222.jpg

20160617_221218.jpg

20160617_221317.jpg

It's hard to stop looking at them, isn't it.
Nice pics Julian and a good friend!

It's even hard not to be at the car while at work! :D

He is indeed a good friend! But I'm the one who keeps the car running because he is not a mechanic at all ;)

There are a LOT of small gremlins to fix on a surviver car! Totally new experience for me to resist not to dissamble the whole car to do it "the right way".
One important thing was the starter relay, I had to "rebuild" it because the car wont start from time to time (the relay was bad!, but fixable).

It's fun to do that, but the best part is simply to drive the heck out of the car :D I already drove 600 Miles in two weeks :) And its affordable thanks to LPG.

The dash lights were all not working due to corrosion inside the bulb sockets. I cleaned them up but like on my car, they are not good anymore. Still flickering. The problem is, that the sockets are made from two pieces that are not separable without destroying them and they are corroded in between. I'm going to convert them to LED like on mine.

Can't? I don't know, I don't want to say I can do everything, but it's basically pretty simple technology. I was able to fix everything so far but I'm not done yet.
Don't want to? Yes. Everything to big keeping me to long from driving it. ;)

The dash lights were all not working due to corrosion inside the bulb sockets. I cleaned them up but like on my car, they are not good anymore. Still flickering. The problem is, that the sockets are made from two pieces that are not separable without destroying them and they are corroded in between. I'm going to convert them to LED like on mine.
It's more likely that the issue is with the dimmer switch.

BTW, I think Will did the LED dash light conversion on his 69... and doesn't like it.

I tend to agree with the dimmer switch suggestion, however if you are sure it's corrosion in the sockets, how about a nice soak in vinegar, which should not harm the plastic, than a flush with water, finally a bit of anti-corrosion dilectric grease on the bulbs?

We had the best day of the year by far today, so time for a nice cruise along the rhine valley. Absolutely beautiful :)

2016-06-23 19.32.43.jpg
2016-06-23 22.20.53.jpg
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG

Last edited:
It's more likely that the issue is with the dimmer switch.
BTW, I think Will did the LED dash light conversion on his 69... and doesn't like it.
I tend to agree with the dimmer switch suggestion, however if you are sure it's corrosion in the sockets, how about a nice soak in vinegar, which should not harm the plastic, than a flush with water, finally a bit of anti-corrosion dilectric grease on the bulbs?

I've posted the pictures over in my build thread, yes. But here they are again:

These are the two pieces of the socket and they are pressed together. I don't think soaking would help a lot. At least not enought for my satisfaction ;) On mine, they didn't lead current at all.
001.jpg
Dashboard - Illumination 08.JPG

My first try was with cold white LEDs, but the filter changed the color to blue.
Dashboard - Illumination 17.JPG

Second attempt was with warm white LEDs and they did the trick, so I made small circuit boards with 10mm LEDs.
Dashboard - Illumination 25.JPG

And voila, with the filter they looked like the original bulbs!
Dashboard - Illumination 29.JPG

Made new contacts to fit the new little cuicuit boards.
Dashboard - Illumination 40.JPG

Dashboard - Illumination 56.JPG

I will put my finished panel in the '70 before converting the others and will do before-after pictures. But I'm pretty sure they will do what they're supposed to do!

Very cool!

I miss cruising Southern Bavaria and Austria in the 70's, 80's and 1992.

Back