Aftermarket muffler close in sound/db as OEM

Do those walker mufflers reduce in size inside ?

I don't really know. I don't believe they do. More Information for WALKER 21856
Did you add a resonator since the install.
No.

My mufflers after a year are a bit loader, no cackle or drone, just notice loader on take off from stops. I am going to try resonators.
That was the problem with the Super Turbos, it just kept getting louder. There is some fiberglass in those mufflers and I'll bet that just like a glass pack, the fiberglass burns out after a while.

I wish now I had cut them open, but they are gone now.

I made a quick video of Tux at idle will I had tux out for a drive. I think I will need a valve job. Also think I will be adding resonators as it seems louder this spring.
This is full TTI 2.5" exhaust with the Motiveair Imperial style mufflers.

I made a quick video of Tux at idle will I had tux out for a drive. I think I will need a valve job. Also think I will be adding resonators as it seems louder this spring.
This is full TTI 2.5" exhaust with the Motiveair Imperial style mufflers.

Just curious, why did you go with TTI? If you had gone with Waldrons, you would have had factory correct pipes and if you chose factory quiet exhaust, you would have received two Imperial mufflers and resonators from Motiveair (I believe) in the first place for less expense and factory quiet?

Just curious, why did you go with TTI? If you had gone with Waldrons, you would have had factory correct pipes and if you chose factory quiet exhaust, you would have received two Imperial mufflers and resonators from Motiveair (I believe) in the first place for less expense and factory quiet?
Waldrons would not supply me with a dual exhaust. I wanted to give their system a try. If they do change their mind on supplying a dual system for 73, it may happen in the future.
TTI fits, I know what I will get and I have used TTI on many cars. I could order my mufflers from Motiveair an hour away from me. The only hang up with TTI is the tail pipe to muffler bend, it is designed for the shorter B-body Dynomax muffler. With some careful measurements and cuts I was able to make the longer mufflers and tail pipes play nicely together. In hind sight, I would have had the tail pipes bent a bit tighter like the OEM bends. But no regrets.

I went with the 2.5” TTI duals because so many recommended them. They were supposed to be drag-and-drop install. They were. They were supposed to flow better. I don’t know, I have nothing to compare them to. Their sound however is terrible. It makes my ’70 NYer sound like a Road Runner. And the drone is unbearable. I will get the Dynomax Turbo mufflers replaced as soon as possible. I will try the Waldrons, and will probably get a pair of resonators added, too.

There it goes for the first start up in 30 years.

IMG_7218.jpeg

I went with the 2.5” TTI duals because so many recommended them. They were supposed to be drag-and-drop install. They were. They were supposed to flow better. I don’t know, I have nothing to compare them to. Their sound however is terrible. It makes my ’70 NYer sound like a Road Runner. And the drone is unbearable. I will get the Dynomax Turbo mufflers replaced as soon as possible. I will try the Waldrons, and will probably get a pair of resonators added, too.
Get the Waldron mufflers from MotiveAir here in Ontario Canada.
Save a ton O cash with the exchange rate.
I went with the PF106
Brad is who I was dealing with. 1 800-720-7408
Motiveair makes all the resto mufflers.
You will have to take a bit off the muffler tail pipe end and some off the tail pipe, as the tail pipe is bent for shorter muffler. If i was doing it again, I would take original tailpipe to exhaust shop and have the TTI bent to match.
I also use the Tenneco stainles band clamps on all the joints so I can remove in future.
I posted about my exhaust adventures last year. My dual exhaust plan.
I am leaning heavy on adding resonators as well on my Imperial.

Last edited:
I'm curious - were our C-Bodies "quiet" when new, as compared to say the more performance oriented cars of the time? I'm thinking specifically about Slab Bodies, but any answer is appreciated. I can't imagine a New Yorker sounding like a GTO or Corvette of the day.

Is there an aftermarket muffler that is as quiet or nearly as quiet as original, but perhaps flows a tiny bit more? I read a few people talking about the OEM "Hemi" mufflers, but I don't know where to find those, or how quiet or loud they actually are.

thanks for your thoughts!

I've been complemented repeatedly by my neighbors for the quietude of both my Slab Cs, which both had original single pipe exhausts on them when bought. I plan to exchange the big "sewer pipe" on Gertrude for the dual pipes I bought for Mathilda this summer. The stock C body exhausts ARE VERY QUIET as a rule, as these cars were usually sold to ADULT drivers who preferred such. There's a HUGE Walker muffler under Gertrude right now, which I suspect got installed later, and has only recently split. Thus the replacement plan. I've literally snuck up on several of my neighbors who were on foot driving either of my old Slab Grrlz, Mathilda or Gertrude. They're VERY quiet in OEM configuration.

For resonators, you might consider the units that are used on '90s to early '00's Dodge and Chrysler minivans. I used those on a Polara I had many years ago, and they worked great.

Last edited:
Back