Aftermarket Tint on C-Body Windows / Saving the Interior

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
My Ny'er sat outside for 30 years outside uncovered. No one has seen pictures of my interior. The other day I was in the back seat making another parts list.....it's was 61 degrees and sunny and I was breaking a sweat. I couldn't believe how hot it can get inside the NY'er. I have new door panels and will have newer (used) seats in April/May. I'm also thinking what can I do to protect the interior so this time around. I don't have a garage and putting the car cover on and off every day is a not what I want to do every day. I seen another formal NY'er with aftermarket tint done tastefully and professionally. It had road wheels on it and looked pretty good. What are your thoughts on aftermarket tint. DSC02004.jpgDSC02005.jpgDSC02006.jpgDSC02007.jpgDSC02008.jpgDSC02009.jpgDSC02010.jpgDSC02011.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02005.jpg

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02009.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02011.jpg

The original steering wheel. It took chunks of flesh out of my hand......

DSC02000.jpgDSC02001.jpgDSC02003.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

You don't have to go dark to get the uv protection. Legal in Ohio is not very dark but it still improves comfort big time.

35% is legal here in Maryland. That's enough to protect the interior and doesn't look donked or ghetto. I'm sure others on this forum will have an adverse Sunday morning reaction to the thread.

Bob, if you keep the car covered all the time like you already do, I don't think you need the tint just for your excursions.

I'm getting a set of these...

History06.jpg

Last edited:
Tint is okay, just be sure a professional does it. Otherwise it can look terrible.

Tint is okay, just be sure a professional does it. Otherwise it can look terrible.

There's a tint shop not too far away that laser cuts their tint and guarantees their work.

They will have fits with the compound curves of the rear glass...but it can be done.

Bob, if you keep the car covered all the time like you already do, I don't think you need the tint just for your excursions.

I'm getting a set of these...

History06.jpg

I only cover the NY'er when it rains or snows. I just can't see fixing the entire interior and not doing something to protect it this time around. I'll have to think about this a little more. Tint on this car looks good as long as it isn't limo tint.

I had no idea how trashed your interior was. That's why I prefer velour, no cracks.

I had no idea how trashed your interior was. That's why I prefer velour, no cracks.

I should of taken a picture of the dash pad. It is so faded the PB3 blue color is gone. It's base color is tan/brown...........I thought it was dirt. I scrubbed another section and it didn't take much to remove the remaining blue dye off that area too. I now have all new door panels and a dash pad. I just hav to do some repairs on the cardboard side of the door panels. I also have the door handles and mirrors from the red El Paso, Tx car to put on when I do the door panels.

I think you should have found a burgundy interior to put in your car.
That would raise some eyebrows....

I think you should have found a burgundy interior to put in your car.
That would raise some eyebrows....

I did find a 77 green interior.......I just couldn't do it. I went back a week later and someone bought the whole car. The exterior was rotted very bad.

:laughing4:
All I can picture you is mulling it over out of desperation.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Don't laugh..........LOL!!!

I sat in that 77 for awhile. I was considering it and also considering painting the NY'er mist green.

I totally swapped out a complete interior on a previous project. I converted a 1972 white interior to a green interior. Including the dash and head liner.

I'm not a big fan of after market tints on car glass. To really do it right all the glass needs to be removed.... then tinted. Otherwise there will be cut lines and gaps. Unless your car is black or white the tint just dosen't blend well with colors. And I really question the UV protection gained.
Storing out of the sun and good upholstery care products should be all thats needed.

Back