Aftermarket wheels?

These are not "Eleanor" style wheels. They are fashioned after the iconic Halibrand wheels used on Cobra's and other race cars of the 60's.

Slabs need Magnum 500 type wheels, fuseloge needs the C body road wheels. All others.....
:icon_puke_r: .... JMHO[/QUOTE]

Agree totally. I'm going with the tried and true steel wheel with dog dish on the 65, always liked the look on a Mopar

Depends on the car
67 Newport? Yes.
76 NYB? Never....

Just saw this. I gotta disagree Stanley; I think poverty caps on any C just look wrong. But then again, to be honest, I don't like them on anything. I know they've become very popular as being factory original on so many cars, but there's a reason they were called poverty caps.

And now I just saw the picture at the bottom of you page where you have a C with them on. Eh... taste is very subjective.... They're not for me.

Just saw this. I gotta disagree Stanley; I think poverty caps on any C just look wrong. But then again, to be honest, I don't like them on anything. I know they've become very popular as being factory original on so many cars, but there's a reason they were called poverty caps.

And now I just saw the picture at the bottom of you page where you have a C with them on. Eh... taste is very subjective.... They're not for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the "poverty caps" either. I might put them on a four door sedan like a Fury or Polara, but it would have to be a Slab. I can't see them on a New Yorker. Agree that it's just a personal preference/taste though.

And now I just saw the picture at the bottom of you page where you have a C with them on. Eh... taste is very subjective.... They're not for me

One certainty is that opnions will always vary. I've always leaned toward an understated look. And I believe the term "poverty caps" is a slang term, although I'm not certain about that?

I have to say poverty caps or dog dishes instead of the proper nomenclature, that being hubcaps.
99.9% of the people ignorantly use the word hubcap when referring to wheelcovers so I used the former two for clarity.

One thing's for sure, these wouldn't work!
image.jpg
I see your vision. I'm personally partial to stock.

- dad

image.jpg

I have to say poverty caps or dog dishes instead of the proper nomenclature, that being hubcaps.
99.9% of the people ignorantly use the word hubcap when referring to wheelcovers so I used the former two for clarity.

Well said!

For WIW I like stock, I like classic looks, I like modernish designs that fit well I've seen a few "other brands" wheels that looked unique when swapped on... do it all based on your own opinion, but please just make sure they "fit" without grinding away any critical components and have properly sized tires too. Tread width is pretty square with wheel width on radials... you don't want to suck in or puff out the side walls, your bead wont seat right. Don't push offset either way too much or you will overload bearings... most of all try to avoid spacers... I would refuse to even remove the wheels if I saw they used spacers... not worth the battle with the owner and I never wanted responsibility. Accept this... wider wheels will cause more stress on steering and suspension components... period. If your closer to stock, it won't make much difference, but if you put in all that will fit... you will have more maintenance/repairs down the road.

Well said!
Similar to "post sedan". Redundant.
I hate having to say now "two door post sedan".
Used to be that "sedan" said it all. Effen kids today don't know a coupe from a sedan from a hardtop from a ......

Sedan: Door(s) have frame around window.
Hardtop: NO frame around window.
Coupe: Two door
Roadster: No such thing. American cars were convertibles... Yes, including the 61-63 T-birds. They were CONVERTIBLES.

And don't ever say to me, '63 Corvette Split Window Coupe. People think adding "split window" to their '63 makes it worth 50% more than "63 coupe"

The tires are fat 275/40/18 Dunlops (I was planning on 18x9" wheels), but they fit up in the wheel well with no problem at all.

View attachment 63514

I think that they look good. Do you have full lock to lock turning with out any interference. My calculations say they should be just a hair over 26-5/8" tall.

Used to be that "sedan" said it all. Effen kids today don't know a coupe from a sedan from a hardtop from a ......

Roadster: No such thing. American cars were convertibles... Yes, including the 61-63 T-birds. They were CONVERTIBLES.

And don't ever say to me, '63 Corvette Split Window Coupe. People think adding "split window" to their '63 makes it worth 50% more than "63 coupe"

I agree!

But, in my understanding, a "coupe" was a two-door that did not have rear windows. E Bodies, 2-door hardtops; second gen Camaros and Firebirds, coupe. A Cordoba was a coupe, while a two-door Imperial was not. What say ye?

Adding to this, I get a kick out of what certain cars are called today - like post - that they were never referred to 40 years ago. Examples: "Bubble top Chevy," "A12 Road Runner," "Mercury S-22." My parents bought a two-door, 4-speed, 6-banger Mercury Comet new in 1963. Never once did they call it an S-22. Yet today.... I get a kick out of this stuff, which for me is an attempt to claim some sort of rarity, akin to "One of...." In the same vein of your "Split Window 'Vette."

Now that I've got that off of my chest, I;m going to climb into my CE27 and go for a ride.

Interesting, my understanding was that a coupe was a two door with posts but with the rear side windows. In fact, if you do an image search for Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler Coupes, the old model coupes all look that way, only the modern ones seem to have some 'flexibility' in that definition.

SeanD, I think those wheels look great on your slab. I was thinking of maybe getting some for my wagon. I saw the same wheels on a Chevy wagon at a car show and thought they looked tastefully nice. He was running 8x18 all around with 245/45r18 tires on all fours.

2015-10-17 11.14.16.jpg2015-10-17 11.15.16.jpg2015-10-17 11.26.00.jpg

2015-10-17 11.14.16.jpg

2015-10-17 11.15.16.jpg

2015-10-17 11.26.00.jpg

Whenever a question concerning the choice of wheels comes up, I usually recommend the Magnum 500 wheels. I think they just "look right" - especially when mounted an a slabby C-Body.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/mopar/chrysler-magnum.html

I have to agree on this one. For some reason the C-bodies just seem to look beautiful with the Magnum 500's. I got mine from Summit Racing (probably via Wheel Vintiques) and put them with some 215 70R15 tires. It still has enough sidewall for a comfortable ride.
Oct 2015 016.jpgJul 2015 070.jpg

Oct 2015 016.jpg

Jul 2015 070.jpg

Roadster: No such thing. American cars were convertibles... Yes, including the 61-63 T-birds. They were CONVERTIBLES!

Incorrect. There were many roadsters made through US automotive history; from a couple of Model A and T body styles (the roadster pickup comes to mind!) to the first Vipers. A "Roadster", by definition, has NO roll-up windows. Lots of vehicles were built in the US that had no roll-up windows. Plus, overseas was the same! MG-TD and TC come immediately to mind.

A "coupe" has no roll-down rear side windows, or no rear side windows at all. My son's '76 Buick Skylark is a coupe, as it has fixed side rear windows. My '66 Coronet 500 is a hardtop, as it has roll-down side windows and no door post pillar, or "B" pillar.

The reason the T-Birds were called "convertible roadsters" is that they had the hard tonneau cover that covered the entire rear seat, making the car an open two-seater car with the top down and the cover in place.

In fact, the description that Chrysler holds for the convertibles from the post-war era through the 1971 model year are "convertible coupes"...look in dealer literature and the FSMs to see that for yourself.

Want to really lose your mind? How about the "brougham", which was a popular designation among all of the Big Four US manufacturers in the late '60s through the early '80s? The definition of a true "Brougham" is a car with an enclosed passenger compartment and an OPEN driver's compartment. Not one of these '60s and '70s cars met that definition, yet they were "Broughams". A true "Brougham" below:

Brougham6x.jpg

Stan, Patrick and Snotty... you are all correct... at least to a point. The manufactures are to blame for much of the confusion... they took liberties with terminology back to the 1920's and 30's in efforts to drive sales, draw attention and stand apart from their competitors. They have been doing this every since, so your factory literature will often incorrectly label a car for whatever good they thought that would help their brand.

Evolution of language has pretty well changed meaning or use of so many common terms. The manufacturers just mucked it all up... like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLS-Class

4 door coupe... WTF... lots of cars called Roadsters in factory literature too, because they were 2 seater drop tops.

To me... if you said someone had a "split window", that had meaning. To say '63 corvette, split window told me it wasn't a convertible... but you did repeat yourself as far as I'm concerned. My parents bought a 1972 Dart new... it had a Swinger emblem on the trunk... I was young and wondered where the swing was supposed to be... Over years I noticed a few with that emblem... not really that many. Now look at CL or EB and see how many idiots think its a Swinger... some don't even seem to know its a Dart. Swinger wasn't even a sub model just a meaningless emblem. Somehow the flipping idiots think it increases value.

Stan, Patrick and Snotty... you are all correct... at least to a point. The manufactures are to blame for much of the confusion... they took liberties with terminology back to the 1920's and 30's in efforts to drive sales, draw attention and stand apart from their competitors. They have been doing this every since, so your factory literature will often incorrectly label a car for whatever good they thought that would help their brand.

Evolution of language has pretty well changed meaning or use of so many common terms. The manufacturers just mucked it all up... like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLS-Class

4 door coupe... WTF... lots of cars called Roadsters in factory literature too, because they were 2 seater drop tops.

To me... if you said someone had a "split window", that had meaning. To say '63 corvette, split window told me it wasn't a convertible... but you did repeat yourself as far as I'm concerned. My parents bought a 1972 Dart new... it had a Swinger emblem on the trunk... I was young and wondered where the swing was supposed to be... Over years I noticed a few with that emblem... not really that many. Now look at CL or EB and see how many idiots think its a Swinger... some don't even seem to know its a Dart. Swinger wasn't even a sub model just a meaningless emblem. Somehow the flipping idiots think it increases value.

And the confusion continues. I just did some reading in the "Standard Catalog of Chrysler." According to it, the "Swinger" was the 2-door Dart from 1969 and forward. It was also the one that would have the performance motor, 340 or 383, until they introduced the Demon in '71. If it had 4 doors it was not a Swinger.

On top of that, if your 4-door dart was basic, no chrome trim on the wheel moldings, no dual horn, it was a basic Dart, not a Custom.

So, there were 3: Dart, Dart Custom, and Dart Swinger. If you ever see a 4-door "Swinger" for sale, it's not!

Those would look nice.

My Son liked the Shelby 500 slots that I put on the Newport, so he wanted the same style for his Gremlin. We found 14" Indy 500 slots for his car. But, he wanted to do something specila with the center caps that came on the original "X" wheels that were on the Grem. This was his idea and how it ended up:

IMG_4282.jpg
I think they look great. It's amazing how many people think they are factory AMC wheels.
IMG_4285.jpg
These wheels were hideous when we got them. There was a woman in Bakersfield who polished each for $25. You can see an unpolished cap next to the finished wheel.
20150711_105752.jpg
I think they look great!

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

20150711_105752.jpg

I have to agree on this one. For some reason the C-bodies just seem to look beautiful with the Magnum 500's. I got mine from Summit Racing (probably via Wheel Vintiques) and put them with some 215 70R15 tires. It still has enough sidewall for a comfortable ride.
View attachment 65476View attachment 65477

In my opinion, it's all about the angles. The "Slabs" are squared, angular looking cars and the Magnum 500s are basically five triangles all pointing to the centre of the wheel. Angles! :laughing7:

Back