Aluminum Water Pump,Housing and Thermostat Neck

greasemonkeyman

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Aluminum Water Pump,Water Pump Housing,and Aluminum Filler neck on any of their cars? I'm sure it would not only look good but save a little bit of added weight on the front end.What are your opinions on this? Cost is about $175 for the complete set. Aluminum Water Pump,Housing,and Water Neck.JPG

Aluminum Water Pump,Housing,and Water Neck.JPG

Yeah price isn't bad. I would be concerned that after some heat cycles the china aluminum would start braking down, and stress cracking. It looks like something 440 source would sell. Real cheaply made!!

It's like half the price of name brand stuff. It would be worth a try on a race car, but to have to pull off all your accessories because it leaked would blow hard. That job alone would be worth more than the $175 you saved.

I have seen the housing and water pump for ~$120 on ebay for years. Thinking about it, since the factory cast iron housing could make a boat anchor. I wouldn't be concerned with it failing. There are minimal forces on those parts, unless your AC bracket attaches (my York does) and even then little concern.

So, based on these results and close inspection of the 440 Source waterpump housing it's safe to assume that there is a major design flaw.
I've been saying that for years about everything they sell.
Nobody listens.
Tomorrow on Moparts there will be another five posts saying:
"Are 440 Source (fill in the blank here) any good?".
NO, stupid. :rant:

You get what you pay for!! If you are ok with cooling, and leaking problems with the cheap parts go ahead. Its your engine, and time. I would rather have extra weight and quality orig parts than run aftermarket junk. This isn't saying anything against the aluminum parts guys. If you think 50 less pounds overall is going to make you go faster I have some ocean front property in Arizona i will sell you.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for!! If you are ok with cooling, and leaking problems with the cheap parts go ahead. Its your engine, and time. I would rather have extra weight and quality orig parts than run aftermarket junk. This isn't saying anything against the aluminum parts guys. If you think 50 less pounds overall is going to make you go faster I have some ocean front property in Arizona i will sell you.

I agree,using quality parts is something everyone wants on their cars,but I still would like to hear from first hand experience about a product rather than someone else's assumption about it.If you've never used something,how can you give an honest description of it? The fact that factory parts are better than anything else is all crap IMO .Your talking about factory parts that were designed almost fifty years ago without the technology that is used today.Do you think the cell phone that your using today will be anything like the one you may be using forty years from now,highly doubt it! Manufacturing tolerances and materials have gotten so much better within the past forty years that there is a difference.As for weight,every few pounds counts when your driving a 4000 plus pound barge.What will your answer be when gas skyrockets to $6.00 or more per gallon in the future? Will you care about it then or just pay close to $200 to fill your gas tank? I'm all for restoring classic cars and try to keep things looking original,but to most of your average Joe's out there,when was the last time someone pulled you over while you were driving and asked to look under your hood? Most people wouldn't know the difference between a Chevy small block from a Mopar big block,let alone what color the engine should be painted.The only people who are familiar with this stuff are car enthusiasts.So whether your running a chrome engine block or using aluminum intake manifolds,etc.,who cares as long as it's doing the proper job.If it's originality your after,then find every NOS part they ever made,including tires,belts,hoses,battery,nuts,bolts,etc. and keep the car sealed in an airtight garage so nothing will ever happen to it,because as soon as you start using it your going to devalue it.Cars were meant to be driven and if you take proper care then you'll manage to get some good use(and looks)from the car that you drive and it may last another fifty years!

I have no real world experience with the China aluminum parts because I refuse to run them. I know cars are meant to be driven. I drive my cars a minimum of 25 miles a trip. That's how far the nearest gas station is. To the cell phone rant. Nobody is comparing cell phone technology to car parts here. I just made a simply statement that Orig. parts are typically of a higher quality than aftermarket ones. Again if you think running 50 less pounds in the front of the engine is going to get you better gas mileage Iam happy for you. Iam not an orig. parts nut. I just happen to know the quality of certain orig parts over the cheaper aftermarket made ones. One of the first responders stated that he has ran the mopar performance parts without issues. If you are set on the weight savings. I suggest you go that route.

I agree,using quality parts is something everyone wants on their cars,but I still would like to hear from first hand experience about a product rather than someone else's assumption about it.If you've never used something,how can you give an honest description of it? The fact that factory parts are better than anything else is all crap IMO .Your talking about factory parts that were designed almost fifty years ago without the technology that is used today.Do you think the cell phone that your using today will be anything like the one you may be using forty years from now,highly doubt it! Manufacturing tolerances and materials have gotten so much better within the past forty years that there is a difference.As for weight,every few pounds counts when your driving a 4000 plus pound barge.What will your answer be when gas skyrockets to $6.00 or more per gallon in the future? Will you care about it then or just pay close to $200 to fill your gas tank? I'm all for restoring classic cars and try to keep things looking original,but to most of your average Joe's out there,when was the last time someone pulled you over while you were driving and asked to look under your hood? Most people wouldn't know the difference between a Chevy small block from a Mopar big block,let alone what color the engine should be painted.The only people who are familiar with this stuff are car enthusiasts.So whether your running a chrome engine block or using aluminum intake manifolds,etc.,who cares as long as it's doing the proper job.If it's originality your after,then find every NOS part they ever made,including tires,belts,hoses,battery,nuts,bolts,etc. and keep the car sealed in an airtight garage so nothing will ever happen to it,because as soon as you start using it your going to devalue it.Cars were meant to be driven and if you take proper care then you'll manage to get some good use(and looks)from the car that you drive and it may last another fifty years!

Not all aftermarket parts are manufactured by the same companies,and I've seen many aftermarket parts that are far superior than factory parts.Modern technology has helped in being able to design and manufacture parts via computer way before an actual part is ever made.Most aftermarket intake manifolds being one example.Show me any factory intake that flows better than an aftermarket one.I doubt you'd be able to find one.All I'm saying is,don't judge a part if you've never had any experience with it.You can go by word of mouth,but I've yet to read anything that states any kind of definative proof that they are problematic,warped,or have cracked under normal use or are inferior.And maybe saving 10lbs. isn't a huge weight savings,but start adding 10lbs for the water pump,30lbs for the intake and various other components and you can probably eliminate almost 100 pounds off the front end.

If you have a reason for it, try it. Obviously only one person here has. What's the worse that happens? It leaks? I wouldn't do it unless I had a reason, like it needed to be replaced because of a crack or something necessitating removal.

The review says that one person is experiencing higher engine temps and the other person hasn't had any issues at all.Maybe they are getting different aftermarket housings??? but it doesn't specifically state the housing or water pump was a problem.The only way to be sure would be to take a reading from an accurate temperature gauge while running a factory cast iron pump and then take one after installing the aluminum housing/pump.I don't seeing there being that much of a difference,especially since aluminum pump/housing dissipates heat quicker than cast iron.

If it's a minor casting flaw and there is enough material in the casting itself,it's nothing a small dremel tool can't fix in a matter of minutes.Same process as porting a combustion chamber and still a savings in weight and a cleaner look than cast iron,which can rust and corrode over a period of time.

Back