Another Carb Question

1966-300

Reaction score
I am sure the carb questions are getting tiresome but here is another. My 66-300 just got the eng and trans rebuilt and got her running and back on the road. But my carb is a mess, its a 4131S and boggs down and wants to stall out when accelerating. Carb looks original. I have been looking at an Edelbrock Model 1405 600cfm that I can pay cash for at a local PepBoys. Cash payment is key here guys as the money comes from my Black Ops funds and as such wife will never know. (She is wearing me out after all the $$ for the rebuild) I have seen some threads where it seems to indicate that many of the Eddys are plug and play. Give me some feedback on this please. The throttle linkage looks to be a bit different and I may need some kind of adapter to hook up the throttle cable and kickdown linkage. Let me know what the path of least resistance is here any suggestions are welcome.

You want to get a 1406 with an electric choke. If you get the 1405 (manual choke) you are going to have to drill a hole in the fire wall and the dash for a manual choke cable which is a major pain in the ***. I've posted other threads about the linkage with pictures. Also if you look at the Edelbrock website, they have a video on their website (I haven't watched it) that walks you through the installation process. You'll need a 1481 adapter to mount to the carb and if you have cruise control you'll need an 8009 adapter to hook the cable to the carb. I'll find a couple of other threads that I posted the linkage pictures on and post it in a little while.

You want to get a 1406 with an electric choke. If you get the 1405 (manual choke) you are going to have to drill a hole in the fire wall and the dash for a manual choke cable which is a major pain in the ***. I've posted other threads about the linkage with pictures. Also if you look at the Edelbrock website, they have a video on their website (I haven't watched it) that walks you through the installation process. You'll need a 1481 adapter to mount to the carb and if you have cruise control you'll need an 8009 adapter to hook the cable to the carb. I'll find a couple of other threads that I posted the linkage pictures on and post it in a little while.

Agreed on the electric choke. Is the rebuild you just went through to stock specs or did you warm it up a little? You may consider the 1411 which is the 750cfm version of the same carb and is only about $40 more. You may have to order it though because most of the parts stores stock the 1406. I just put the 1411 on the 440 in my Imperial and needed very little adjustment out of the box.

I went with a 600 cfm carb (1406) with my 400 ci engine. At nearly 20' and 5000 lbs and 8.5 mpg I wasn't looking for acceleration. A 600 cfm carb is plenty for a 383 or 400 C-Body for economic purposes. Along with the other mods i did to my NY'er, I did get 15.5 mpg on highway cruises. Driving around town I get 13.5-14 mpg. I bolted the carb on and haven't made a single carb adjustment. Lucky me. A 750 cfm carb on a stock motor isn't going to make it go any faster in my opinion. I would put a 750 cfm (1411) on all 440's.

Thanks for all the input. I actually called the Edelbrock help line to ask them and was suprised when the guy told me to use a 1405 and then add the electrick choke to it. He told me the rods and jets were different than that of the 1406. Said the 1406 would run a bit lean for the 383 and it was mostly for 350 Chevys? I honestly thought the only difference between the 1405, and 1406 was the electric choke. Now with all that said I may go a cheaper route and just rebuild my current 4131S. But you can never have too much information.

Thanks for all the input. I actually called the Edelbrock help line to ask them and was suprised when the guy told me to use a 1405 and then add the electrick choke to it. He told me the rods and jets were different than that of the 1406. Said the 1406 would run a bit lean for the 383 and it was mostly for 350 Chevys? I honestly thought the only difference between the 1405, and 1406 was the electric choke. Now with all that said I may go a cheaper route and just rebuild my current 4131S. But you can never have too much information.

The 1406 is calibrated for fuel economy, thus the slightly smaller jets and metering rods. How often are you going to be in WOT?

How often are you going to be in WOT?[/QUOTE]

Depends how well it runs!

If that's your car in the pic, I have it's twin Newport. Identical. Anyway, why not visit the imperialclub.com website and read some of the Master Technicians' manuals there to ramp up in your mind to rebuild the carburetor. The rebuild kits run from $20-$40 depending on source and quality. NAPA Echlin are very good quality (for example). A can of carb solvent is about $29 these days thanks to Federal intrusion, but if you have a chair and a small table and sit in your garage listening to your favorite tunes, this can be a fun exercise. IMPORTANT POINT HERE: the instructions in the 1966 Imperial/300/Newport shop manual are very step-by-step and choke full of pics. You can get this on CD from AMOSauto.com [AMOS Press website and click on cars button; or look in Cars & Parts magazine classifieds].

Depends how well it runs!
Why? It's a 4000 lb car with a stock 383.
SOMEBODY gets it around here.

Guys get a car with 125k miles on them and they want to immediately start hot rodding the engine with JEG'S bolt-ons when by this time the cam lobes are practically round...

Last edited:
I have the shop manual and the guys at my local NAPA love me, I bought quite a few items there and they are super helpfull. I have the rebuild kit on order and one of they guys who works at NAPA tells me it is pretty straight forward so we are going to get together drink some beers and rebuild the carb. Carb first then beers.
As far as the question how often will I be WOT? As often as I can:laughing4:. Not really it will likely be a Sunday cruiser, just for fun. After this comes a new exhaust. Currently it has single exhaust that desperatly needs replacing. I am going to go the dual exhaust route with just the stock manifolds so as you can see this is nothing extreme close to stock.

Once again guys awesome information, I dont know where I would be without all the help. Thanks Again.

I don't care what you all say, these cars are fun to operate at any throttle position and if they run good then chances are you will see those upper reaches of the range more often.

Back