Another Front Disc Brake Question

nama7

Reaction score
Will 1971 Fury Front Disc brakes work on a 1965 Sport Fury? Thanks
1692980998637.png

Last edited:
Yes, you will need everything including the spindles and the brake line junction box as well as the brake booster and master cylinder.

Yes, take it ALL from the spindles, rotors, backing plates, distribution block (junction/prop valve), booster, master cylinder.

Is your car originally a manual brake car? If so, you should also get a power brake pedal assembly for 65-68 C body.

Yes, take it ALL from the spindles, rotors, backing plates, distribution block (junction/prop valve), booster, master cylinder.

Is your car originally a manual brake car? If so, you should also get a power brake pedal assembly for 65-68 C body.
This my Sport Fury setup.

20230825_094344.jpg

OK, that's a drum brake booster and master. So then your 65 definitely has the brake pedal setup you need.

Although it may seem to work with the disc brakes, that drum booster will NOT give you enough boost to fully energize the disc setup, and will let you down when you need the brakes the most. DO NOT USE THAT BOOSTER. Get the disc brake booster from the 70 Fury and have it rebuilt if necessary.

The difference could save a life.

There's a reason Mopar used two different boosters between drum and disc systems.

You'll also want the disc brake master cylinder from the 70 - it will have the correct bore, and of course you'll be upgrading to a dual reservoir master which everyone knows is safer.

This my Sport Fury setup.

View attachment 613166

It looks like your car may have been converted from manual drum brakes to power drum brakes since I see what appears to be the bracket used for that conversion, which was used because the manual drum brake setup used a longer rod to the brake pedal. At least that is what was done on the 1967 & later Fury’s.

Where do you see the bracket, Bill? I just see the standard backing plate, and the 4 studs that are going through it.

Isn't that factory retrofit bracket sort of wedge shaped?

OK, that IS the retrofit bracket - well done Sharp-Eyed Bill (aka @FURYGT).

So - I do not know if that plays well with a disc booster, so I'd investigate getting a proper bolt in power brake pedal.

I am not really sure I will get the disc brakes. Too many factors involved other than just changing parts. I am not into spending a bunch of money and putting work into something I may not use a lot. I know mine works as is, but I believe the Brake Booster has a leak. What part number could I replace it with?

A manual drum brake car will have the brake pedal sitting higher. The conversion bracket pushes the brake rod to the booster out beyond the fire wall, which is why your brake pedal is in the power brake pedal height. You should be okay using the brake pedal to booster rod from the donor car. It is a fair amount amount of work but if you do the conversion you will be glad that you did.

Back