Antenna removal

cjmspartans

Reaction score
Hi there!
So, my 1968 Newport has a non-electric antenna on it that I need to take off so I can put a car cover on it. I've poked around on Google but couldn't find any information on how to do it, and I didn't find much using the search feature on here. I figure it'd be nice to just remove it since it'll be sitting more than it is moving around, so I could just reinstall it whenever I drive it.

Thanks!

Most from that era are a one piece unit, the mast, base, and lead in cable don't separate so removing/reinstalling the antenna is not a practical thing to do. You may be able to make a later unit with a removable mast work but I've never tried.

Should be a small chrome/ stainless nut / bezel at the base of the antenna. 3/8 or 7/16” wrench. But be careful not to scratch it. It is like a small collar. Once it is totally loose you should be able to pull it straight up and out. If it’s been there a few years it may want to stick. The accessories section in the FSM (Field Service Manual) should also have instructions.

I would take a picture for you, but at the beach for another day.

Most from that era are a one piece unit, the mast, base, and lead in cable don't separate so removing/reinstalling the antenna is not a practical thing to do. You may be able to make a later unit with a removable mast work but I've never tried.

My current mast on my 68 Polara is removable. I do know that the antenna on it was replaced sometime in the mid 80’s but pretty sure it was a Dodge replacement part.

I do remember that the FSM has a good breakdown of the assembly.

Should be a small chrome/ stainless nut / bezel at the base of the antenna. 3/8 or 7/16” wrench. But be careful not to scratch it. It is like a small collar. Once it is totally loose you should be able to pull it straight up and out. If it’s been there a few years it may want to stick. The accessories section in the FSM (Field Service Manual) should also have instructions.

I would take a picture for you, but at the beach for another day.
To get to it would I need to remove the inner fender? I can't find any other way to get to it unfortunately. If it winds up being removable, then great! I just want to avoid cutting the car cover since it was expensive and has a 7 year warranty on it, and cutting it will void it.

My California Car Cover (expensive) came with a grommet for the antenna, doubt it would void the warranty.

Alan

Pics of the antenna base and bezel could help see what you have going on.

Pics of the antenna base and bezel could help see what you have going on.
Here you go:
j0NPHaw.jpg

From the looks of it, I have some room to get to it from under the hood. I'll look more closely later.

If it is the antenna my friend has on his 68 you can put a wrench on the flats of the chrome just above the black bushing.

Alan

If it is the antenna my friend has on his 68 you can put a wrench on the flats of the chrome just above the black bushing.

Alan
Aha, you were right. I just gave it a twist and off she came. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure since the last time I removed an antenna that looked like you could put a wrench on it, I wound up snapping something lol

I had to make a special wrench to grip the nut, I used a piece of pipe and cut/filed the teeth in it to grip the nut, I think if was on a B Body. just use some vice grips on the pipe to turn.it. Keep those antenna bases well oiled to keep them from rusting together

Back