Any Colt fans

They pop up on racing junk every now & then. They are small. I bought an Arrow drag car a few years ago. I had to bolt the seat straight to the floor. Still my helmet was rubbing the roof. Didn't like that so I sold it. I'd love a Colt, but I don't know if it's going to be any better
You should have a lot more head room in a Colt , the 72 I built I used 2 inch risers for the racing seats , I am 5 ft 10 inches tall . I sat the seats up as high as possible for leg room and so I could see over the blower on the 440 . I have a lot of build pic's if anyone wants to see them , remember this was backyard building at it's finest ...I think I had about 4k in the whole car and frame build before the motor build and even that was a cheap build .

Wow, the last Arrow I can ever recall seeing was the one I owned in Germany in 1990. It was a pretty good mover, had the 2.6L with the five-speed. In Germany, the regs regarding rust are pretty serious and thorough, so the Arrow lasted just one more season before it would no longer pass inspection.

I'd love to have either a Colt or Arrow drag car.

colt2 002.jpg
OK lets start by saying I started this car over 34 years ago it was a long haul trying to figure it how to but it together so you can get a good laugh on some of the stuff I did to get it up and together . I ended up with three 72 Colts , one out a back yard for $75.00 next 2 from a friend up the street how tried to piece a stock one together to drive , both for $200.00 . One of them would start but would die when you turned the key loose . Two days later I drive by his house and had it running , put a toggle switch from the battery to coil with a resistor , was up and running . perfect body , wife ran it into neighbors ditch while talking to her new puppy in the back seat . pieced it back together with rusty parts for the other one and she drove it for 6 months before getting her a new car . I worked for a water well drilling co . Learned to stick weld while working there , the dana 60 rear came form one of the service trucks , out side bearing went out and they threw the housing away in the scrap pile , asked if I could have It , sure if you can load it ...they are heavy .. cut it down with a 4 inch tubing cutter we used at work to cut pipe with . shortened and welded n strange ends with my 225 stick welder . In fact the whole car was done with a stick welder . I do not have any pic's of the rear frame I built or of how the 36 inch ladder bar setup was stick welded in place.
So the first pic shows that I took the firewall out and placed the motor in place where I wanted it and just built the rest of the car around it . Used Hedman headers had to cut and move 2 tubes to get every thing inside the sheetmetal firewall .pic 2 you can see a little more sheet metal work , had no metal brake so I used a 6 inch I beam and a big hammer , crude but effective ..3 pic you can see firewall , used a lot of pop rivets to hold it together . The motor in this thing was moved back 14 inches , cowl was notched almost to the windshield . Next pic shows finished product Msd6al was mounted on the trans tunnel . Take note in pic's I ran rollcage thru the fresh air vents . By the way the cage was made from 2 inch black steel pipe that I got from my work place .. used pvc pipe for a pattern for the bends and the muffler shop bent it for me for 50 cents a bend , see I told you I was cheap . next pic shows seats and if you look real close you can see the rear tire tubs , you could sit it the seat reach back put our hand on the rear tub and then put your foot on the front one . small inside . next I used an ARC control box with switches to start it up and run fans and fuel pumps ect. Next pic shows motor placement , used motor plates , take note U can see road sign I used for firewall .. redneck anyone ? Look at the strut tower , I moved the top of the strut rod over 3 inches and the lower control arm in 3 inches and used 1000 lbs helper springs to hold up the front end , had to do this so tire would not rub fenders . Flipped the struts from rear steer to ft. steer used a MGB rack set up .Redrilled the stock rotors for 4 1/5 bolt pattern . used stock brakes ,with std dodge rear drums in back . used a mopar master cyl. mounted under the dash with stock petal assem. I used what I had . Next pic looks a little better tin work in place . Will post this file getting to big to down load

colt1 001.jpg

colt3 001.jpg

colt4 001.jpg

colt5 001.jpg

colt6 001.jpg

more pic's radiator was for big block Vega , the rear wheelwell opening flairs were half stock Colt and half fiberglass ones for a Vega cut off and spliced in the middle to get them to fit and look correct . My son at 15 he is 47 now . rear spoiler is cut down fiberglass AAR cuda spoiler with 13 inches cut out of it and glassed back together . Do not know size of gas tank , make a wooden buck of size and kept fitting it until it would go in the trunk , had a shop build it when you put it in you would have to pull the back panel back a little and it would drop in . ran 2 battery's . next pic before ft. spoiler you can see rack and bottom of radiator . note blower and where pulley sits . I changed out intake to a shorter one got about a 2 1/2 drop . It was not hard to see when driving , ran 5:60 x 15 VW tires up front and 19:5 x 15x32 in rear you could see over the blower with no problem .... If you see any thing that you guy's have a question on please let me know ....
colt13 001.jpg
colt13 001.jpg
colt9 001.jpg
colt10 001.jpg
colt11 001.jpg
colt14 001.jpg
colt12 001.jpg
colt14 001.jpg

What did it run on a 1/4 mile?
Used on the street but 1 trip to strip 1/8 mile was 7 flat 100 mph just remember this was over 30 years ago plus ran a 4:10 gear and a small stall converter . would pick ft. wheels up about 2 inches for about 3 feet and hook hard ...

Used on the street but 1 trip to strip 1/8 mile was 7 flat 100 mph just remember this was over 30 years ago plus ran a 4:10 gear and a small stall converter . would pick ft. wheels up about 2 inches for about 3 feet and hook hard ...

That was pretty fast back then.

Do you still have it?

A few more pic's and another story about a 74 colt . After 8 years of building Pro street cars for mostly the Chevy guy's my skills got a little better , build this 72 Demon for a good friend of mine , was on cover of Mopar Collector's guide in 1992 won best of show at Bristol , along with editors choice for Mopar collectors guide and concours of Pro street . but he got tired of it and wanted a colt , so the only one we could find was a 1974 model . So this what he started with , something only a mother could love but with time and drive it came something great looking and running . I moved to Tucson about the time he started and Robert Early helped him finish it . I gave him a set of Lightning rods , the shifter balls were in bad shape so we used white cue balls for shifter knobs . 8 3/4 rear with 3:91 gears , used a small block for power .

Front end was fat man fab . with Chris Alston rear clip . drove like a street rod ..
colt44 001.jpg
colt45 001.jpg
colt46 001.jpg
colt47 001.jpg
colt48 001.jpg
colt49 001.jpg
demon 001.jpg

That was pretty fast back then.

Do you still have it?
No pulled drive train out of it and started a 65 cuda pro street car but someone came to shop and wanted it more than I did so I sold it . The Colt body was sold to a friend that lived in SC. Put another blown 440 in it and showed it for several years and sold it to a guy that lived in Ohio , after a few years the guy in Ohio donated it to the Crawford Auto Museum , as far as I know it is still there . Look it up on the net :

This is rear of purple colt. rear 4 link , anti rotation bar , springs are not on shocks in the pic and lower diagonal link on 4 link . the ft set up was a street rod kit for an Anglia narrow track ..
colt51 001.jpg
colt54 001.jpg

After making sure every thing lined up and worked , I cut a 3/8 round plate and welded it to the top of the strut tower and drilled a hole in it and bolted the top of the strut thru it . I welded a plate to the back of the strut tower and tied it to the roll cage under the dash . The car was real stiff you could jack one side at the back of the rear frame and pick up 3 of the 4 tires off the ground . In this pic you can see the top of the strut rod bolt , the plate was welded on top , the short bar on the left side was were I was trying to see where it would come thru the firewall and attach to rollcage and strut tower .

2 001.jpg

Last edited:
Back