Any companies out there that can re line disc brake pads?

hemi71x

Reaction score
Anybody know of any companies that can re line disc brake pads?

I have quite a few pairs of BENDIX, and BUDD, disc brake pads, that can be put back into use if new lining material can be put back onto these cores.

I know there are heavy duty truck shops out there in the USA, that reline clutch's and drum brake shoes, so the same thing can be done with disc brake pads.

But i personally don't know of any companies that i can contact.

Anybody know of any?

These BENDIX, and BUDD pads are awfully pricey to purchase, when you find somebody with new old stock parts.

Thank's.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Budd & Bendix Pads 002 (Small).JPG

Budd & Bendix Pads 003 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
^^^ I wonder if that posting above ^^^ if that “ shooter 65 “ is a “ Rick from Pittsburgh “ who wanted a whoooooole bunch of parts from me for some “ C “ body vehicle about 10 to 12 years ago, but never had the money, and Bob from Pittsburgh was going to drive them from Carlisle to Pittsburgh for you, but you never got him the money….

And, then you disappeared for these 10 to 12 years until now….
That isn’t one and the same, is it ?????

For two months after that, if you are one and the same person, you ignored my messages…. even when I asked for a “ courtesy call back “ on the 4th and final “ courtesy call “ …..

Very frankly, I figured you had passed on……

Last edited:
^^^^ Jim V. / hemi71x, ^^^^

Two problems you are going to encounter with relining them…. If indeed, they can reline a brake pad, period….

# 1 ) Those types of outfits are under the watchful eye of the EPA, which means they are going to have an issue with relining it in *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** which means that they will rip the Brake Rotors to smithereens, and you and I know how expensive those Brake Rotors are !!! I am pretty sure you know that I have the “ B “ body and “ C “ body ROTORS and we both know that neither is a $ 35.79 Chineseum Rotor…….

# 2 ) The price that they might want to do that is going to be prohibitive—- by the time you are done with what they want to reline them, plus shipping out and back, you might have to charge an arm and a leg for a set…..

Let us know what you have done in this regard, even if that is
“ punting “ on the thought….

Craig…..

Incidentally, if you are going to investigate relining them, I have a better place to deal with, potentially, and they are much closer to you on the West / Left Coast,
Which will certainly cut down on the shipping costs…..

Craig….

Back in the 1980s, we had a machine shop re-condition the ends of medium-duty truck rear axle housings, with floating axles. When I took them to them, the ends looked like they were mangled beyond use, but when I picked them up, they were better than new. Which means they welded the cast iron up and machined it down, then put the threads on the ends. Wondering if the same might be done for the Budd brake rotors? Putting a better wear surface on the rotors than had previously been there?

Or find somebody to re-pour some new ones with better materials, to make them less prone to abrasive wear from metallic or ceramic frictions? Much less 3D printing some cores, then machine them to specs.

Just some thoughts of what might be possible for a $100K vehicle,
CBODY67

There —- I S —- an outfit that will do that for re - creating a surface for A N Y Rotor or Drum —- they do the inner liner of the eight (8) lug Pontiac Brake Drum….

They START at $ 400 e a c h —- plus shipping to them and back….

And, of course, no better wear surface —- that is the job of the brake pad or brake shoe….
That is why I must continue to find *** Asbestos *** brake shoes for this eight (8) lug Pontiac Brake Drums —- those owners KNOW they MUST find N.O.S. *** Asbestos ***

And, that is why we must continue to find the 732 D 10 Brake Pad in *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** for the BUDD World &
the 751 D 19 Brake Pad for the 1966 - 1969 “ B “ Body….

That is why ^^^ Jim V. ^^^ is smart to investigate that exact situation, while he has “ CORES “ …..
I just have trepidation as to the answer ?!?! That is why I haven’t taken back “ CORES “ all these years…..

Craig….

If you have a 1967 - 1968 Caddy El Dorado or Olds Toronado —- and need those Brake Rotors —- you absolutely M US T have those Brake Rotors “ Reborn “ to specs, because that Rotor Absolutely does N O T exist, period…..
( I D O have their 762 D 3 Brake Pad in *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** —- and they all know that !!! )

My "theory" about all this, is sooner than later, even the old stock of these BUDD, and BENDIX, disc brake pads is going to run out.
Then what are ya gonna do?
You then will be forced into getting your worn down pads re lined.
Ya i know there is a big "but" in all this.
Will we all live that long to see it?
I'm 70, and think i should see 80, from what i know of family history.

There is ONE issue with any older rotor. It getting "cut" with each new set of frictions. I know that brake techs have done that for years, in order to get the best job result. Nothing wrong with that, except that such cuts decrease the rotor thickness, which limits its ultimate service life. I've even known one of our dealership techs who cut a new GM rotor so it would match the thickness of the "other side" rotor, in an effort to decrease possible "pulling".

As I have personally discovered, unless the rotor wears to the min spec thickness, by modern semi-met frictions AND there is no pulsing involved when the frictions do their job, then NO reason to cut the rotor. I know, that might be "fighting words" to some, but that is the reality of things to me. I have proved it on one of my cars. In over 750K miles since new, only two sets of front rotors, even with semi-metallic police-spec pads.

The other issue with cutting rotors with each brake job is that many times the OEM swirl polish on the final cut pass is not done. Which affects how the pads break-in and how the rotors react. Yet even some of the lesser-priced aftermarket rotors have a satin finish with no swirl polish on them. I had a set of those, too, in the mix. The new pads faded quickly until they got broken-in.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

^^^ I wonder if that posting above ^^^ if that “ shooter 65 “ is a “ Rick from Pittsburgh “ who wanted a whoooooole bunch of parts from me for some “ C “ body vehicle about 10 to 12 years ago, but never had the money, and Bob from Pittsburgh was going to drive them from Carlisle to Pittsburgh for you, but you never got him the money….

And, then you disappeared for these 10 to 12 years until now….
That isn’t one and the same, is it ?????

For two months after that, if you are one and the same person, you ignored my messages…. even when I asked for a “ courtesy call back “ on the 4th and final “ courtesy call “ …..

Very frankly, I figured you had passed on……
With all do respect, I believe it was me but our recollection of that conversation differs greatly. I felt the prices were more then the parts were worth and communicated that I was not interested but you kept trying for the hard sell so I simply moved on. I certainly didn't "disappear", I've been reasonably active on this site for the past 10 years.

You SAID you wanted everything and were happy to learn that Bob was going to give you
FREE Shipping, to boot....( You even agreed that you should give him a little something something for his doing that for you... )
And, I suppose you are not much of a believer in COURTESY CALLS.....

And the prices that I gave you were the best on the planet....and the QUALTY was the far and away the best on the planet.....

I have been using Rochester clutch and Brake for my brakes and clutches since 1982. What year is is now? 3d generation family business btw. They can reline anything that has a friction lining. Custom clutches too...Imagine that

As for lining materials Mr Mobilparts, today's materials exceed by far the asbestos linings you sell. You would do your customers a great service by offering modern materials that truly stop these cars wayyyyyyy better than old school asbestos.
All with drum brake cars still following the old herd mentality have no clue what great braking performance can be had with DRUMS using modern materials.
No the linings do not eat the drums.
Call them!

I'll be contacting two of these companies that have been discussed here, and if and when, they get back with me, i will post my findings, here in this thread.

Oh ya.
I would appreciate it if, two of you guys, would keep your personal commentary between you two, out of my thread.
It's gone off track.
I'm asking about re lining brake pads, and not past dealings between two of you.
Thank's.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Jim V.
I would be interested in knowing your findings — because I am low on the “ B “ body D19s….
I may need the “ C “ body D10s one day —- but I am happy to say I have about ten (10) sets, currently !!!
Thank you, Craig….

Let me know if you want the phone number of the outfit in the Midwest who do that ….

UPDATE:
The Rochester Clutch & Brake company got back with me, just telling me that pads are still easy to find on ebay, without giving me any kind of quote.
Guess they don't want to do them, or want my business.
Oh well, with that company.

Another company got back with me, and their charge would be $20.00 per pad.

So then, i guess it's still beneficial to find a vendor selling BUDD and BENDIX pads that's not ripping you off, price wise.

Well, i did my homework on this inquiry, and found out my answers.

UPDATE:
The Rochester Clutch & Brake company got back with me, just telling me that pads are still easy to find on ebay, without giving me any kind of quote.
Guess they don't want to do them, or want my business.
Oh well, with that company.

Another company got back with me, and their charge would be $20.00 per pad.

So then, i guess it's still beneficial to find a vendor selling BUDD and BENDIX pads that's not ripping you off, price wise.

Well, i did my homework on this inquiry, and found out my answers.
$20 a pad doesn't sound too bad, but if you can find them cheaper... For now anyway.

I'm surprised with the Rochester response. Their hype on their forum seems they want to do restoration business. But then... I happened upon this last night while looking for someone local to turn a brake drum. SERVICES | PBS Brake And Supply They also offer relining and advertise as "the only provider of in-house custom brake relining in the Northeast". Since Rochester is about 85 miles west of Syracuse, it makes me wonder if PBS does Rochester's relining...

That’s not bad at all considering the going rate for NO(R)S sets is around $110 to $120 per set.

Back