Any opinions on Liquid Tape?

sprice

Reaction score
Have been trying to repaint the black insert lines on my 68’ 300 grill. Have tried a liquid tape product called Peel-tek with no success. Doesn't trim worth a darn. Have tried lightly brushing and then heavier. Seems to come off in pieces or in strands. Anybody had any success with this type of product from another brand? Have tried using “flexible” masking tape however it creates other issues. This is what I am working on.

IMG_8283.jpeg

1/8 inch or 1/4-inch Fine Line tape, from the local auto paint supply store. It's a very pliable plastic tape and will follow the curve for you.
Tape one side, then the other. Then pinch them together.

I'd say Fine Line tape also.

Just to toss this out there... Ever think of doing the black with vinyl? You can get small roll of low gloss vinyl and cut it into strips and place it in the grooves or you might even be able to cut it a little wider and place it in the grooves and trim with an X-Acto knife. I did the rocker trim on my '70 300 with vinyl rather than paint and it came out great. It won't chip and cleans up real easy.

If you look at the factory paint, you can tell (from the light spots) the direction from which the paint was sprayed at the factory where the moldings were finished. Plus you have to also figure in that they did it with the least amount of labor possible to still get decent results. Think light, quick coats rather than "concours-level" application and then immediately wiping the ridges down (even if a stencil or making tape was used), I suspect. I suspect that such paint might have been lacquer rather than enamel, too?

Lacquer when the car was painted in acrylic enamel? Yes, lacquer dries quicker and probably can be unmasked easier and quicker. "Time is money".

I know, when we do these things years later, it is normal to want to do them "better than the factory did", implying "the factory" didn't do them right to start with, or as good as they could have been done. In doing so, we can also get into troubling situations we have to figure out how to get out of. Not condemning the "better than" orientation, just that sometimes we create other issues to get ourselves out of. Not unlike trying to apply and shine car wax in those recessed areas. In modern times, just spray on some water-setting ceramic coating on it, rinse it, done.

Which gets back to the "restoring it to how the factory originally did it", which to some, was not as good as it could have been, BUT well good enough to get the vehicle sold when new. Nothing the matter with over-restoration for a better feel about "improving the breed".

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

I used vinyl dye to do trim parts like that - sticks extremely well, has the right sheen, and no problems. I used SEM Landau Black.

Are the raised parts supposed to be free of paint and be chrome? Make sure the part is clean and shiny where you want chrome, spray the whole thing and immediately wipe off the paint from the areas you want chrome. You may have to create a tool that holds a small piece of sponge that is just the right size to wipe the raised parts - and you may need to make a few bits of the wipers to replace as you go as they pick up paint and stop working.

Sometimes it helps to have the wipers soaked in lacquer thinner as you go.

Note - as detailed as you will be while the paint is wet, there will be areas that don't come clean. The wonderful thing about the vinyl dye is that touchups are easy - it peels off quite easily with a scraper after it's dried, and softens quickly with a little lacquer thinner to be wiped off, yet is quite durable when left alone.

Last edited:
An X-Acto knife and some 3M vinyl would work like Big_John said above. Easy to apply and comes off easy if you make a mistake. You can also get it in gloss, satin or matte. The factory jobs were not the greatest.

I'd say Fine Line tape also.

Just to toss this out there... Ever think of doing the black with vinyl? You can get small roll of low gloss vinyl and cut it into strips and place it in the grooves or you might even be able to cut it a little wider and place it in the grooves and trim with an X-Acto knife. I did the rocker trim on my '70 300 with vinyl rather than paint and it came out great. It won't chip and cleans up real easy.

Big John, is this s special outdoor type of vinyl? Where would one get this?

Big John, is this s special outdoor type of vinyl? Where would one get this?
I usually buy it on eBay. Search for "matte black vinyl" and you'll see lot's of options. It's the stuff they wrap cars with and it can be bought in 12" wide rolls. Get 3M brand if possible. You want to see the words "car wrap" or similar wording in the description.

Here's an example: *Genuine 3M Matte Black Vinyl Wrap Car Sticker Film Decal Bubble Free | eBay

I'm not recommending that seller, never done business with them etc. Just using as an illustration. Amazon also has some that's a little cheaper, but not 3M.

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Matte...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I did my rocker trim about 9 years ago and it's still perfect.

I usually buy it on eBay. Search for "matte black vinyl" and you'll see lot's of options. It's the stuff they wrap cars with and it can be bought in 12" wide rolls. Get 3M brand if possible. You want to see the words "car wrap" or similar wording in the description.

Here's an example: *Genuine 3M Matte Black Vinyl Wrap Car Sticker Film Decal Bubble Free | eBay

I'm not recommending that seller, never done business with them etc. Just using as an illustration. Amazon also has some that's a little cheaper, but not 3M.

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Matte-Black-Release-Technology/dp/B07PYK74SG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=R0S65QMLN5WO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Y-ZJaJxifRlKAAdCw5k2KkydIvTskWMPsKKbldqzplKUNGEctEaZMCL7quzyfAvX5UyPj5eoPXN5YMYkH4AsmhHtZ89ucqAOIU9DcP2fxvRW8B-YVHKxUBIBCqkufd_wctvElidIPBSpJP1GmAPXbkkWTD8Rvx-CBATE1kMnGbZZAzGx6zvIK5Bz706b4yiUwR_58dDWxDXr_4r3lRQNg8ECskqNKShyCLV7WbBdzcTOb-SNc-3vqv3pazGtfexcVSCdA7Niz7eXOs4-T_wzDjfsXItRWQWIV7gDLjkdyxA.NXVdrDAxQfHQ1axJf742ZU8O1u8FCp7eBdcq3XkZ2KI&dib_tag=se&keywords=black+matte+vinyl&qid=1710506006&sprefix=balck+matte+vinyl,aps,130&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I did my rocker trim about 9 years ago and it's still perfect.
Ordered the 3m Matte Black. Will give it a go. Thank you.

I used vinyl dye to do trim parts like that - sticks extremely well, has the right sheen, and no problems. I used SEM Landau Black.

Are the raised parts supposed to be free of paint and be chrome? Make sure the part is clean and shiny where you want chrome, spray the whole thing and immediately wipe off the paint from the areas you want chrome. You may have to create a tool that holds a small piece of sponge that is just the right size to wipe the raised parts - and you may need to make a few bits of the wipers to replace as you go as they pick up paint and stop working.

Sometimes it helps to have the wipers soaked in lacquer thinner as you go.

Note - as detailed as you will be while the paint is wet, there will be areas that don't come clean. The wonderful thing about the vinyl dye is that touchups are easy - it peels off quite easily with a scraper after it's dried, and softens quickly with a little lacquer thinner to be wiped off, yet is quite durable when left alone.
Thanks for the response Ross. Don't know why I haven't come across this before. Suggestion noted.

Scale model builders use Elmer's white glue as a paint mask. It will peel off after you're done. Or maybe wash or wipe off with a damp sponge.

Back