any rat rod c-bodies out there?

Ok so, what's wrong with those?

There's a lot wrong with it.... Just a quick look shows horrible welding with no penetration, bad geometry for the air bag, bad alignment of the rod ends etc.

That car was put together by so called "professionals". It shows that you can't just throw a bunch of parts together and get it right.

I kind of like the "traditional" hot rods. I'm not a fan of primer as the finish paint, but I understand the look.

I don't group the Rat Rods in with traditional rods though.

But... IMHO, all the discussion about Rat Rods and Hot Rods is a moot point. A lot of people give a cutoff point of 1948 and down for any Hot Rod. Our cars just don't fit in that category.

Customs... Yes.

I like seeing some of the C-bodies done with custom touches. The large panels fit in well with some of the custom painting styles from the 70's.... Or some dechroming (my own car does not have all the emblems) and lowering for instance.

Full customs... or at least what I call full custom, is pretty rare. The chopped tops I see in this thread are some of the only ones I've ever seen. I think most doing that type of car would look at older Fords or GM cars first.

There's a lot wrong with it.... Just a quick look shows horrible welding with no penetration, bad geometry for the air bag, bad alignment of the rod ends etc.

That car was put together by so called "professionals". It shows that you can't just throw a bunch of parts together and get it right.

It was specifically addressing the monster machines no the other ride posted.

Full customs... or at least what I call full custom, is pretty rare. The chopped tops I see in this thread are some of the only ones I've ever seen. I think most doing that type of car would look at older Fords or GM cars first.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?3285-First-time-I-ve-seen-this-one

Your post showed the Hudson Rat Rod... a pic and a link.

Then you edited it and took that out.

Because it was multi quoted in via the phone and I didn't see it.

It's still stands what's wrong with it? Other than the narrowed rear end that's been pointed out?

AND, I can point out fully finished cars that have the very same issues. It has nothing to do with style but rather execution and the person executing.

I think we should be very careful where we go with this one. If there's one thing wrong with our society today, IMO, it's the fact that there are too many Ralph Nader types and too many Ralph Nader wannabes among the general population. For example, right now in Canada, and maybe it's the same in the USA, there are several cities that have banned tobogganing due to safety concerns. A simple outdoor activity that we all used to do is now banned in our stupid modern society, at the same time that they are complaining about obese kids sitting in front of TVs, computers and video game consoles! To say that any enthusiasts car that uses homemade or custom made parts is unsafe just plays into the hands of people who would love to put an end to hot rodding and the entire vintage car hobby. I can see the point about using wrenches welded together to make a steering column but, where do we draw the line? What about cars and trucks where the front suspension from a different vehicle has been installed, for example, the common Mustang II and increasingly popular Crown Vic front suspension/steering swaps?. I've also seen a couple of Volare front ends swapped in too. Then there are the roof chops, narrowed rear axles, lowered, bagged and countless other modifications that I'm sure some self appointed Ralph Nader type could argue are unsafe. So then only factory original restored cars are safe? Well, some would say otherwise. If you take any cars like ours, depending on what year they were manufactured, they may not have a dual master cylinder, disc brakes, a collapsible steering column, padded dash, head rests, side marker lights and so on and would be, as mentioned, probably running around on bias ply tires. So, by that argument, original is unsafe too. But wait, it gets better. My daily driver is a 2005. It was built (manufactured) without ABS Brakes, it also was manufactured without Traction Control, it doesn't have collision avoidance technology or a camera for backing up either, so, I guess you could argue that it is unsafe. As a matter of fact, any car that was built last year will be unsafe in couple of years because it won't have the newest safety feature, like the ability to park and drive itself, to brake itself if following too close, for example. So, where does it end? This is a very slippery slope and this mentality already exists among some government officials and a percentage of the general public.

It's probably safe to say that almost every custom or aftermarket part available today was originally invented by some hot rodder in his home garage, or at least, by a shop that was building hot rods. These parts were then put into production by automotive specialty manufacturers. None of these parts would be available today if somebody somewhere hadn't made or modified a part.

I have no problem if somebody wants to build a Rat Rod. He's not putting a gun to my head and forcing me to drive it or ride in it. Most of the cars pictured look like cars that only get driven on cruise nights and probably don't get driven very far. They wouldn't be very comfortable on a long trip. How many people are actually killed or injured by Rat Rods every year compared to the number of people injured and killed in/by regular cars? While I'm on the subject, assuming that the driver is the only person in the car, how does not having a back seat or only having a driver's seat make the car unsafe?

I certainly hope that we haven't reached a point in our hobby (hot rodding, vintage cars, classic cars) where people in the hobby will be deciding whether or not someone else's car is "good enough" to be in our hobby. IMO, this will be the fastest, quickest way to end the hobby.

My two cents :)

Banning tobogganing..
The Obama type mindset does it again.
Poor children can't afford toboggans so ban them for a bogus reason.
Now, before you think that's a stretch, please wait. Take a deep breath. Think about it. Think outside the box. You'll get the link.

It stands to reason that if the build looks like crap, drives like crap, and runs like crap, it's crap.

Rat rod injection system

0027.jpg

0027.jpg

That brings a whole new meaning to the phrase ' Jager Bomb'. Or if you ran that induction on a hemi it could be ' Hemi under glass'...

just a matter of opinion i guess but to me something like this is a rat rod
1930-dodge-003.jpg

while this to me would be a custom or lowrider
attachment.php

It stands to reason that if the build looks like crap, drives like crap, and runs like crap, it's crap.

You're a HOA president aren't you?

Not necessarily. Depends on the intent of the build. The one posted above, I'd agree. But there are several that I've seen that were built purposefully that will leave you trying to figure out how they did it. And that's why they did it. I don't dismiss anyone's build out of hand just on apeerences alone.

Last edited:
You're a HOA president aren't you?

Now, THAT'S funny right there! I live in a rustic, rural setting, and my nearest neighbor is 745 feet away. So, no.

The post by 1970Cat is dead-on. Top car - POS r--r--. Second car - Decent-enough looker, in dire need of paint, but I'd drive that.

Banning tobogganing..
The Obama type mindset does it again.
Poor children can't afford toboggans so ban them for a bogus reason.
Now, before you think that's a stretch, please wait. Take a deep breath. Think about it. Think outside the box. You'll get the link.

Us poor kids would slide down the hill in a big ol' Puntiac hood! No foolin'.

One of our parents cut a 500 gallon oil tank in half so we had a couple of paddle boats to take to the swamp.

Us poor kids would slide down the hill in a big ol' Puntiac hood! No foolin'.

We had a hood off a '52 Plymouth sedan. We removed the trim, filled the holes and sanded everything smooth, then painted it and waxed it to a beautiful finish! It really should have went on a damn CAR when we finished that hood. It was the nicest hood sled around - and scary FAST!

Back