any rat rod c-bodies out there?

Not C body I know but an older brother.........

Here's a link to my 59 Dodge , not really a Rat Rod, maybe a Rat Car might suffice ?

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?11349-Photos-of-my-59-dodge

It won't have rat mechanicals, I couldn't drive an unsafe car nor let my family in one but I hope after the rebuild that it won't look too much different to the pics ( I'll have better wheels on it though )

If people like it , great.......... don't really care if anyone hates it, the only one that has to be happy with it is me.

If anyone can grab the pics on the link and throw ' em up on this post then I'm greatful for the help, I have no idea how to do it.

I've only ever worked on carburretted computers !!!

Cheers.

P.S. The Police lights and bars were given to me, only put ' em on for the shot to see what it looked like, they came off an ' 80's cruiser from Dayton Ohio.

I don't know if you call RatRod or not but Im planning on a different kind of build with my 69 300 Vert. It will be a 4 speed and I plan on leaving the paint on it that it currently wears. 1208131422a.jpg1208131423c.jpg

1208131422a.jpg

1208131423c.jpg

Playing around with plastidip

kinda rattish with the scallops now. Don't worry its just plastidip. Im just playing around with ideas while I work on the motor first. Have no clue what the final look will be but im a long ways from that as I replace headgaskets convert to electronic ignition etc...

car3.jpg

I know its an old thread... but it resurfaced and I have something to say about this. I like classic hot rods, customs, project cars etc. What I cannot abide is lack of safety on purpose or no efforts to improve it to at least period standards.

First automotive job in the 80s was at a little garage that always had street rods around. NSRA safety sticker was a badge of honor to those guys. Their thoughts, not unlike the restomod movement, was to upgrade a classic to modern power, comfort AND safety. A large number of the cars were built from ones that were considered too far gone to restore, and the guys who ruined a perfect original never seemed to get too much admiration from the guys I knew.

Safety standards were self imposed and used federal guidelines as a basis. PA safety inspection, as I remember it, involved the car meeting the standards it was manufactured under... no upgrades required. If you upgrade... make it an actual upgrade.

I look at a good clean savable car being modified as a loss. I see a rust bucket or wreck as a blank canvas, if that's what you desire. I see most of what I call rat rods more as art cars, thankfully most don't get street driven... hardly any have floors as far as I have seen. All of this stuff varies a great deal based on geography and the culture you associate with.

A pristine original with a single master cylinder is meeting its era's safety standards... but an upgrade is wise for street use. A 30's tin over wood car without seatbelts is fine, but don't wreck it. When is the last time, if ever, you saw a restomod with ABS... its a very simple system and the engine computer is ready to accept it for traction control...

My bottom line is enjoy your car, keep nice ones nice. If you have to modify it to be happy, think just a couple steps ahead, and make complete functional systems. Don't sacrifice safety for pretty. I'm not a Nader fan, but when we embrace every idiotic idea as a personal expression of creativity we all get put at risk when its on the road. Some deserve to be nothing more than yard art.

Rant over

To all the purists watching this thread... That 72 Fury was very rough when my friend bought it. It was for sale in Stan's neighborhood (Florida) back in -08 and it was rescued by us, crazy Finns. lol

Here's a picture of the car as it was:

Fury (13).jpg

I guess that's sort of the difference there. I'm not talking rust bucket greaser. Just mainly not original parts. Bunch of minor aftermarket minor customizations and some obvious not stock features I.e. Peep mirrors, shaved handles, custom lights etc. Right now it looks like a rat rod wanna be simply cuz its black and its a driving project but I plan on more than blanket seat cover type fixes etc.
I guess I kinda went that route with my '65.. I removed some trim and have bought some older period parts to put on the motor..but it's painted the original color with a flat black roof. Not sure if it's in "rat rod" territory but its not done stock either.

I say stick around, a little variety and tasteful creativity will be a nice change.

Back