Anyone buy a raybestos front drum lately? 1924R

Cartel

Reaction score
I ordered one from rockauto and it came not sealed in its plastic bag (bag ripped and stuffed under the drum)
and a big dent in it and NO BALANCING WEIGHT
The images of the drum show a weight and part number cast on the drum face.

Mine has laser printing on the side with a centric part. Is centric "raybestos" too?

thanks

DSC01357.JPG
DSC01358.JPG

DSC01356.JPG

DSC01337.JPG
DSC01338.JPG
DSC01342.JPG
DSC01343.JPG
DSC01351.JPG
DSC01341.JPG
2021076.jpg

Last edited:
Its actually cracked. I think someone got it cracked before me and sent it back. now I got it
DSC01339.JPG

Somewhere along the line, the drum got dropped hard. Contact RA to return it as it is damaged. Any damage on the box?

CBODY67

Somewhere along the line, the drum got dropped hard. Contact RA to return it as it is damaged. Any damage on the box?

CBODY67
no damage. It was in the box but the plastic bag was scrunched up in a ball under the drum. Someone had it before me, took it out of the plastic, seen it was damaged and returned it.
Now I got it and if I send it back they dont refund my shipping cost. I'll have to do a charge back on Visa
Also this is a painted drum....1924R is bare. What a pain in the ***. I ordered this to be on the car this weekend to meet up with friends from out of town.
I'm gonna put it on anyway and see if I still have issues. I ordered another 1924R today. I just love giving away money

no damage. It was in the box but the plastic bag was scrunched up in a ball under the drum. Someone had it before me, took it out of the plastic, seen it was damaged and returned it.
Now I got it and if I send it back they dont refund my shipping cost. I'll have to do a charge back on Visa
Also this is a painted drum....1924R is bare. What a pain in the ***. I ordered this to be on the car this weekend to meet up with friends from out of town.
I'm gonna put it on anyway and see if I still have issues. I ordered another 1924R today. I just love giving away money

DON'T PUT THAT PAPERWEIGHT ON ANY CAR! You can SEE HOW BADLY WARPED it is. That drum will destroy any pair of shoes you put with it man! If you INSTALL that thing, you'll LOSE ANY RETURN RIGHTS YOU HAVE!

Scream at Cock Auto about this atrocity, get your $ back, and find another brake drum, even an OLD ONE, rather than this SEVERELY DAMAGED ONE. AGAIN, DO NOT INSTALL THAT DRUM!

Even drums which have been warehoused with the box on its edge, standing up, can have slight out-of-round ness. Usually, that can be lathed out. What you have is much worse.

What happened to the orig drum? Just curious.

CBODY67

As much as I like RA, there are some things that can hopefully be sourced locally in case something like this happens. That way, more than just your eyes see what you end up with. I use the RA catalogs to see what's available and at what price, more than anything else. Then I can go inquiring locally, if needed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I use RA as a catalogue to save my local guy time and hasle looking up 50/60 year old parts. If he can't get any of the numbers I offer him, then it's the rock.
The return centre for RA is in Queens NY, if you see a part is being shipped from Queens it is most likely from the return centre.
The other thing that has been happening last year or so is the photos are not of the shipped part.

I am running out of patience and just want to drive the car. I put the drum on and drove 100 miles today.
Rockauto doesnt refund my $40 shipping, they will give me the $79 back for the drum but I'm not gonna eat $40 so I'll have to call my bank and do a charge back.
Now I used it and thought maybe its ok, screw it.
NOBODY here ( NAPA LORDCO T&T FORTINS CANADIAN TIRE) has rotors for this car, they can order them it takes a week and its $259 screw that.
If this next one isnt sealed in plastic and/or damaged I'm gonna lose it.:(

Last edited:
Before you say "NOBODY" has Rotors for this car --- I have the 1966 -:1968 BUDD Rotors and the 1969 - 1972 "C"
Rotors --- both are in the van, and headed with me to Chryslers @ Carlisle --- but there is a ton more required to utilize Rotors on a four wheel drum brake car....

Since a 1924R Chineseum drum is a 1965 - 1970 Light Duty " C " Body 11 " x 2 3/4 " Brake Drum --- made by one Chineseum outfit --- and sold by each and every internet outfit --- all your raybestos, centric, bendix., Delco outfits packaging and hawking chineseum brake drums --- you will get that same molded piece ( no balancing , no weights --- like the beautiful picture you got fooled into believing you were getting.....) from all of them....

I have one pair of *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made *** C 1924 Century Brake Drums ( Century has been " OOB " (Out of Business ) since 1990 , formerly, of Saint Louis, Missouri , and that is where Raybestos " stole " the part number ,
In the Van, along with *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes, also, of course, on the way to Chryslers @ Carlisle.

One younger fellow in our hobby, David from Wisconsin, is picking up one set of *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos ***
Front Brake Shoes ( # 337 --- 11 " x 2 3/4" ) and one set of *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Rear Brake Shoes
( # 334 --- 11" x 2 " ) for his 1966 Plymouth Fury --- which is using exactly what your car utilizes.....
( Incidentally, the 11 " x 2" Rear *** N.O.S *** U.S.A. made Brake Drums are also in the van --- one pair of the Plain Drums, C2925 Century , 1965 - 1968, and one pair of the Finned Drums, C2955 Century, 1969 - 1970 )

For information, and for those interested parties reading this, I have, of course, 8 --- 11 " x 3 " Front Brake Drums and --- 10 --- 11 " x 2 1/2 " Rear Brake Drums in the van, the far more popular set up......

So, Cartel, the magic question for you is ---- Do you know anyone coming to Chryslers @ Carlisle ????
Or, of course, you would have to get in touch with me in a week and a half.....

I am at H 106 - H 108 at Chryslers @ Carlisle, right next to the real bathrooms, four (4) aisles down from the center of the food court....

For all of you who --- ARE --- coming to Chryslers @ Carlisle, I dare say if you want to see the best spread of NEW and
N.O.S. MOPAR parts --- Brakes, with tons of *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Pads and Brake Shoes , Front End,
with every Idler and PITMAN ARM, Water Pumps, Fuel Pumps, Ignition and Electrical ,
BEIGE / TAN Distributor Caps, Motor and Transmission Mounts, and a whoooooooole lot more !!!!
Come on by H 106 - H108 and Enjoy Life !!!!

Yours, Craig......

For those of you using rock auto for their " cataloging " , keep in mind, that they have MILLIONS of wrong and Incorrect applications for older cars ( to me, it is highly laughable --- with all the people who call me, after they got wrong parts --- and can't get the right ones !!!!)
If I were to receive a nickel, a mere nickel, for each incorrect listing they have ( I am fairly sure they are more accurate for a 2012 Ford Explorer or a 2014 Toyota Camry --- but then, I don't CARE about that stuff ) ,
I could deposit $ 100,000 in my pocket !!!

Just sayin'.........

Was the FREE Egg Roll you got with the Brake Drum still warm ???

Most of the new drums and rotors I get now need to be turned, regardless of the year or make of the car. I used to get them from Oreilly because they can turn them if they need it when they sell it to me. But they generally sell for a lot more than RockAuto.
So, I bought a brake lathe and get them from RockAuto now. The two damaged ones out of the last dozens were replaced by RockAuto at no cost to me. They shipped out the new part that day and provided me with a no cost return shipping label.

---------- Now, listen up!-------
Your brakes had better be right with "all" these new drums, or you will burn them up and warp them in short order.

Disassemble and inspect new wheel and master cylinders before install.
Test new hoses for flow.
Arc the shoe to the drum by lining the drum with sandpaper and running the shoe around the drum until it matches the drum.
Make sure the adjusters are working and set the shoes for "no" drag. Let them adjust themselves from your usual driving habits as they wear in. Don't go back and forth to adjust the shoes, that will make for a premature tight brake. If you can't get it to spin with a perfectly even drag with the wheel and lug nuts installed before you back it off a few teeth, it ain't round, and it ain't never going to feel good. No way no how, never going to happen.

This is the situation that we now live with.

Well this drum came today and I refused it. I hope thats the right thing to do. It was dented and cracked, no paint or weight on this one.
Bag was sealed unlike the previous

2021079.jpg

FEDEX left with it
DSC01360.JPG
DSC01361.JPG
DSC01362.JPG
DSC01363.JPG

You did the right thing, refusing damaged merchandise. I suspect the FedEX operative took pictures of it with his terminal, for documentation?

RA's shipper probably has more drums just like the one you got, very possibly.

Anybody local you can get a drum from?

CBODY67

You did the right thing, refusing damaged merchandise. I suspect the FedEX operative took pictures of it with his terminal, for documentation?

RA's shipper probably has more drums just like the one you got, very possibly.

Anybody local you can get a drum from?

CBODY67
nobody does. they can special order it but its $259 plus 12% tax.
Not sure if rockauto will refund me for refusing the part. I'll just have to call my bank I guess. Fun times!

I've got this one for $75 plus shipping. That might be pretty expensive due to the weight though.
20230712_172801.jpg
20230712_172756.jpg

Back