Anyone install air bags on their Ram...or other brand pickup?

Catfish

Reaction score
I think I am going to install a set on my 2012 3500 dually. Just looking for advice on whether I should also spring for a compressor, switch , and gauge set or just manually fill. Looking at Firestone bags, but if you recommend a compressor, which one? Best location to mount it?

im not over weight, but she's nose high.

I had a set of those Firestones installed on a 27' class C motorhome. They were a good investment. It was a manual fill, but then it was mostly a fill once and forget it kind of deal since once the ride height was set, I was good to go. Manual vs. automatic would all depend on how often you need to change the ride height.

That's the thing, once I unhitch the camper we just drive around the lake a few days fishing. Maybe a trip into town for some supplies. Is the ride really harsh with the bags aired up and no load on the truck?....or is it tolerable?

Last edited:
I would suspect the ride would be a bit harsh in an unloaded situation. I didn't have that problem because the motorhome didn't get much of a change in load, unlike a trailering setup would.

I would suspect the ride would be a bit harsh in an unloaded situation. I didn't have that problem because the motorhome didn't get much of a change in load, unlike a trailering setup would.

Hmmm, the ol lady won't put up with any harshness. She'll ***** about it non stop. Maybe it's best to install a compressor so I can dump the air and refill when needed.

Ideally, the best setup has a chassis mounted switch that automatically kicks in the compressor if the back end drops beyond a preset height, and then bleeds it off when the load is removed, similar to what I had in my minivan.

Ideally, the best setup has a chassis mounted switch that automatically kicks in the compressor if the back end drops beyond a preset height, and then bleeds it off when the load is removed, similar to what I had in my minivan.

I am leaning towards a panel mounted switch and gauge. That way I can just switch it on and watch the gauge. Stop filling when the ride looks good if stopped or if on the highway I can ad a little to keep it from slapping the overload spring. I was hoping to save some cash, but it might be worth it to just go all out.

I have manual fill on my Ram & I really wish I would have installed a compressor. Especially since I have a slow leak...

I have installed both Firestone and airride bags. Like them both and have put in compressors also. The ability to air up at will is nice. Always put your load on before you air up

Back