Anyone try Monroe rear shocks w/helper springs?

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
I think my '79 NY'r hangs alittle low. The wheel lip molding is even with the top of the rear tires. With 80k on the car the rear leaf springs maybe tired. They are not broken or pieces missing. Does anyone have a opinion that has tried these?

I installed the Munroe air shocks on a 76 NYB that had a drooping butt.
I used them quite often 40 years ago so I did it again. Huge mistake. I had forgotten that it's impossible to keep them from slow leaking. Two weeks at best no matter how professionally you installed them. Problem number two was when you raised the *** high enough to your liking, it rode like it had a solid axle. Hard as a rock. Never again. BTW, the car had helper springs from the previous owner.

< Sent from my tablet >

The overall height of a NYB is 54.5".
Start with the correct height with the torsion bars up front, step back and see if the butt needs to be raised or lowered. It's a visual thing.
You won't find any ride height specifications.

The only possibility I can think of getting a ride height spec is if Mr. C has anything on how to correctly adjust the 74/75 Imperial air ride height.

Last edited:
I think my '79 NY'r hangs alittle low. The wheel lip molding is even with the top of the rear tires. With 80k on the car the rear leaf springs maybe tired. They are not broken or pieces missing. Does anyone have a opinion that has tried these?

Do you have regular shocks or auto leveling suspension?

A side view picture of your car would help.

bth_IMG_0001[1].jpgIMG_0002.jpgI've got the specs for the ride height. I'll post them in a few....

bth_IMG_0001[1].jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
That's the best I can do for now. I hope it will help. If you a specific question about not being able to read something and I'll look at the manual and relay the info. I'll try to scan that first page again.

Not able to sent pics at this time........standard shocks on both cars. Thats why I mentioned where the well moulding is compared to tires. Both cars in storage at this time and not able to get to them.

Sorry I did a shoddy job of posting the info..... I'll type the text so you can understand it. It'll take a few minutes to type it.

No, thanks.....alittle confused why there are two c bodies. But, for the rear, its only 3/10" difference. So I can measure and give or take that amount in consideration.

Sorry I did a shoddy job of posting the info..... I'll type the text so you can understand it. It'll take a few minutes to type it.

1978 Bumper Heights

The chart reflects bumper heights on all vehicles covered in this service manual. The dimensions are for front and rear bumpers and reflect heights on standard built vehicles at curb weight. A general explanation of curb weight is a vehicle containing a full tank of fuel, correct tires with proper inflation, all oil and liquids to capacities and no passengers in the vehicle. A change in tires or modification to suspension or body weight will alter the dimensions slightly.

The dimensions are taken from a horizontal point across the bumper face bar at the upper most point of the bumper jack slot to level ground. To determine the point to measure from, refer to fig. 26.

The measurement would be from the top of the bumper jack slot to the ground.

BUMPER HEIGHT AT JACKING SLOT

The data showing on the chart are nominal dimensions subject to production tolerances of + or - 1" (inch) on front bumper and + or - 1-1/4" (inch) on rear bumper.

Based on the chart......
I assume that your Ny'er is a S series (2nd digit in your VIN)

Front bumper height from the top of the jacking slot to the ground is 18.9" (plus or minus 1")

Rear bumper height from the top of the jacking slot to the ground is 19.5" (plus or minus 1-1/4")

I hope this helps you. Let ne know what your actual measurements are. Thanks.

No, thanks.....alittle confused why there are two c bodies. But, for the rear, its only 3/10" difference. So I can measure and give or take that amount in consideration.

I believe the L is for Newports and S is for NY'ers. It's the 2nd digit in your VIN. The L and S signifies Price Class.

Well you helped me tremendously. I'm saving that info because even on hi beams I not getting the illumination needed.
And you have to level the car correctly before you aim the lamps.
Thanks.

< Sent from my tablet >

Well you helped me tremendously. I'm saving that info because even on hi beams I not getting the illumination needed.
And you have to level the car correctly before you aim the lamps.
Thanks.

< Sent from my tablet >

Thanks Stan.

There's another section in the service manual that goes in to detail on how to adjust the air ride suspension height. It's only applicable to a C body that has the factory air ride suspension specific system. Another words that procedure is not remotely applicable to a car with aftermarket air shocks. I'll try to scan and post it in a day or two so you can see the procedure for general knowledge or future use.

OK. I looked again in my 76 FSM. It's there. I missed it first time around. Your showing the page out of the FSM made me clean off my glasses and recheck.

Back