Bad ground?

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
Flasher issue here. I don't think they used alternating flashers back in '67 in police vehicles so I'm scratching my head. I don't know how the right turn signal indicator is being back fed yet. It used to be lit any time the key was on, but since I discovered the brake lights were being fed unfused from the battery side of the instrument panel dimmer side of the fuse block and resolving that, the light is only being back-fed when the headlights are on. I assume it's a bad light switch, or panel dimmer. Just don't understand how it's going to alternate the flasher.

the surging in the video is youtube's enhancement, they're fairly steady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just the right indicator, or the actual right turn signal as well which is flashing?

Check all your light bulbs... shorted bulbs can cause crazy backfeeding as well

Here is a test I tell probably 5 people a day to try. Get you two hose clamps and some wire. Strip two inches off of the end of a wire (do this on two wires one for each light socket) and take your hose clamp and install it on the socket that the bulb plugs into on the side where the wires for the park/turn go in and clamp the stripped end of the wire down to the metal socket. Then take the other end of the two wires and go to the negative side of the battery. If the indicators go out in the dash the park light sockets are not grounded properly. They ground either through a ground wire tab or through being mounted to the car depending on the particular set up you are using.

Also pull the park lights on. Do the indicators in the dash glow?

Based on this information I'd agree with everyone and give good odds that the problem lies in one of the sockets with a dual-filament bulb (or the bulb in that socket). Start by pulling such bulbs one at a time and see when the indicator-glowing-with-the-park-lights phenomena goes away, then you've found your culprit (or at least one of them!).

I had a problem like this, the hazard switch didn't work, the light just didn't blink.
But if left on and you tried to use the turn indicator the two tallight bulb (on the same side) would blink alternately.

Common problems with lighting issues are grounds especially on cars that have been repainted.
Next up are the switches, the headlight switch (the old pull type) is notorious for causing problems.

If probles involve the front or rear turn lights the turn signal switch can also be the culprit.

The key is to check things systematically and isolate as much as you can.

Alan

I've ran into some strange issues with turn signals and "Hazard" lights in different vehicles over the years. In one car, the indicator lights on the dash wouldn't flash, but would glow constantly if I stepped on the brakes. The problem turned out to be so simple as a blown fuse in the fuse box. I never did find out why the fuse blew in the first place. So, if you haven't already done it, check for a bad or missing fuse.

Also, a dual filament bulb can cause issues if one filament burns out. Sometimes the wrong bulb # (1157, 3157, ect) gets installed and that can cause crazy things to happen too.

In another vehicle, all of the accessories, the radio, the wipers, the heater fan, ect would "flash" on and off with the turn signals. Turned out that a PO had mixed up a couple of wires. If you haven't had your car very long, it would be an idea to check for splices at turn signal lamps and tail lights and also for any trailer wiring that a PO may have done, even if they removed it later. :)

Based on this information I'd agree with everyone and give good odds that the problem lies in one of the sockets with a dual-filament bulb (or the bulb in that socket). Start by pulling such bulbs one at a time and see when the indicator-glowing-with-the-park-lights phenomena goes away, then you've found your culprit (or at least one of them!).

Yeah when I get it out of the garage this weekend I'll start pulling bulbs and see where it leads.

I had a problem like this, the hazard switch didn't work, the light just didn't blink.
But if left on and you tried to use the turn indicator the two tallight bulb (on the same side) would blink alternately.

Common problems with lighting issues are grounds especially on cars that have been repainted.
Next up are the switches, the headlight switch (the old pull type) is notorious for causing problems.

If probles involve the front or rear turn lights the turn signal switch can also be the culprit.

The key is to check things systematically and isolate as much as you can.

Alan

I WAS thinking turn signal switch but disconnecting it leaves the bulb still illuminated. So that leaves me, brake light switch (doesn't make sense since it illuminates both sides), flasher switch, bullbs and finally headlight switch (again illuminates both sides).

I've ran into some strange issues with turn signals and "Hazard" lights in different vehicles over the years. In one car, the indicator lights on the dash wouldn't flash, but would glow constantly if I stepped on the brakes. The problem turned out to be so simple as a blown fuse in the fuse box. I never did find out why the fuse blew in the first place. So, if you haven't already done it, check for a bad or missing fuse.

Also, a dual filament bulb can cause issues if one filament burns out. Sometimes the wrong bulb # (1157, 3157, ect) gets installed and that can cause crazy things to happen too.

In another vehicle, all of the accessories, the radio, the wipers, the heater fan, ect would "flash" on and off with the turn signals. Turned out that a PO had mixed up a couple of wires. If you haven't had your car very long, it would be an idea to check for splices at turn signal lamps and tail lights and also for any trailer wiring that a PO may have done, even if they removed it later. :)

It's been in the family since '69 so there is a history. Former sheriffs car, broad-sided once, sitting since early 90's, moved cross country, move up eastern seaboard, Cut apart, welded back together, blah blah blah blah blah.

edit

OK here we go. Hooked up a ground from the tails to battery ground, flasher wouldn't start. Removed the ground and flasher started. Placed ground on tails when flasher was running and flasher continued to flash. Interestingly, with lights off the flashers flash in time, turn the running lights on and the indicators begin to alternate. Also noted that if I slowly turn on the flasher, not in the full on position, the tails flashed but not the running lights nor fender lights.

Last edited:
Ok, finally popped a fuse. Replaced both front 1157A's, right one out on parking lights. Pulled the bulb back out and the filament was dead. Not discolored and not melted in anyway just in two peices. Since I didn't verify before hand I had no 100% proof it was good when I put it in. Hooked up a multimeter to measure voltage on the socket. Multimeter + to parking lead, - to socket, ground wire to signal body and then to - on the battery. Nice big arc, popped brake light fuse. I am left to assume I'm probably shorted in the socket.

Ideas?

Pinched or shorted wiring going to the back.. pull the rear seat and side trim on the driver's side.

This is a trace until you find the burn mark more than likely.
What side of the car was broadsided? Driver side?

Perhaps unrelated. I recently had a non functioning front turn signal. The dash light would come on solid rather than intermittently. I found nice new bulbs at the auto parts store and replaced both. I found out that if you install the bulbs incorrectly (they have two little bulges that help them stay in and one is higher than the other so it's possible to install them "upside down") they won't flash and neither will the dash lights (they simply turn on). But once in correctly they flash and dash light flashes.

Pinched or shorted wiring going to the back.. pull the rear seat and side trim on the driver's side.

This is a trace until you find the burn mark more than likely.
What side of the car was broadsided? Driver side?

Passenger side.

All the way.. start at the front and work to the firewall connector.
then from the firewall connector inside work to the back of the car.
Pop the lower back seat out to see if it is pinched under there.

This may seem a bit complicated but it is not.
The harnesses are very simple on these cars.

All the way.. start at the front and work to the firewall connector.
then from the firewall connector inside work to the back of the car.
Pop the lower back seat out to see if it is pinched under there.

This may seem a bit complicated but it is not.
The harnesses are very simple on these cars.

THX. I'll report back when I've had a chance to do it. I'm trying to beat the frost/condensation clock right now as I have bare metal on the car in places still. So it may be a week or three.

Back