Plug n play headlight harness upgrade

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
The wall alignment works pretty well if you have the distance and a flat space.
The white garage doors at work may or may not have some marks at strategic positions.
I also found a Hoppy headlight aiming kit on E-bay about 2 years ago. With shipping they ranged from $75 -$150.
Great kit and fun to play with.

Thx++ 4 mentioning the Hoppy kit. Will investigate. This thread so inspired me that I went out this morning and carefully removed the harness from the wrecked '66. Amazingly enough, all 4 headlights came out intact, though the 2 on the impact side had their tabs bent. All the ceramic sockets are good too. :) So, after installing the relays and harness on our 68, I'll again have the joy of flooding the streets with the lovely reddish white light wisely approved by the DOT back when that good Feddy Bureau had some teeth.

The nice thing about fat conductors is that with low voltage, one needs extra ampacity far more than at higher potential. I used fine stranded audio grade #10 for this little job, w audio grade 1/4" female terminals in the ceramic sockets. The one addition I'll use this time will be conductive grease on the headlight tabs. Despite the likely viability of the salvaged lamps, I have plenty of them from a SUPER eBay score some years ago, and will use brand new 50-something yr old lamps.

Headlights are the ONLY thing I leave with Old School farmboy lighting, because of that DOT spec enforced then. I don't personally NEED headlights most of the time to SEE, except in truly Stygian gloom. But its usually GOOD to be SEEN by the reckless fools I must share the asphalt with, ergo....

Mr onetwo

Reaction score
The name is Bond.....James Bond
merge_from_ofoct.jpg

polaratherapy

Reaction score
Thanks Cbarge, timely post as I am just getting to that point in my restoration, I thought that replacing reg bulbs to comperable LED lights in the tail would be a strait swap, is it different in the tail lights?
Former owner used relays at the front to get the low beams lights to mimic signal lights with yellow bulbs, he had chopped all the lighting harness and I have since returned it to it's original state.
Former owner had aspirations to make the Polara look like a Challenger.

cbarge

World Famous Barge in a Budget
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cbarge, timely post as I am just getting to that point in my restoration, I thought that replacing reg bulbs to comperable LED lights in the tail would be a strait swap, is it different in the tail lights?
Former owner used relays at the front to get the low beams lights to mimic signal lights with yellow bulbs, he had chopped all the lighting harness and I have since returned it to it's original state.
Former owner had aspirations to make the Polara look like a Challenger.
The rear lighting is straight forward.
Read my thread on this subject:
Exterior LED lighting upgrade

cbarge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just want to mention the kit I use is for a 2 lamp system but works just fine in cars with 4 lamps.
There are 4 lamp kits out there but personally find it not necessary as the 2 lamp kit serves the same purpose.

Reaction score
What I like about the Hella housings is they look "stock" compared to the LED or Halo offerings. But to each their own.
At the right angle you can see the blue tinge of the PIAA Extreme bulbs. Sometimes you dont see it..

View attachment 546791

View attachment 546792

Which Hella housing did you use to make it looks more like stock headlights? Do you have a part number for them? Was there any modifications you needed to do to the light buckets to make them fit?

-Gregg B.

cbarge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Which Hella housing did you use to make it looks more like stock headlights? Do you have a part number for them? Was there any modifications you needed to do to the light buckets to make them fit?

-Gregg B.
Boxes buried in rhe shed and cannot remember the part number.
But I did order the conversion kit that included 2 housings with bulbs.
No modifications needed to fit in our old cars.
Go back to my first page you can see the back of the bulb fits through the bucket no problem.
Hella designed their conversion lamps to fit in old cars.
Cheers.

Reaction score
Boxes buried in rhe shed and cannot remember the part number.
But I did order the conversion kit that included 2 housings with bulbs.
No modifications needed to fit in our old cars.
Go back to my first page you can see the back of the bulb fits through the bucket no problem.
Hella designed their conversion lamps to fit in old cars.
Cheers.
Yeah... by looking at Amazon, there are like 6 different 5 3/4 housings that Hella makes for the H4. All of them look the same from the front, and none of the dimensions are given on the rear measurements for clearance, etc. The Hella website doesn't even show anything in their catalog for retro-fitting H4 halogens. I'm not sure where to go from here...

-Gregg B.

cbarge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah... by looking at Amazon, there are like 6 different 5 3/4 housings that Hella makes for the H4. All of them look the same from the front, and none of the dimensions are given on the rear measurements for clearance, etc. The Hella website doesn't even show anything in their catalog for retro-fitting H4 halogens. I'm not sure where to go from here...

-Gregg B.
Will look it up and pm you.