Bad power brake booster?

360dusted

Reaction score
My '69 Polara has factory power drum brakes. They work fine in normal driving but if I step on the pedal for a "panic" stop the pedal just gets rock hard and it doesn't slow down any quicker. Has anyone experienced this before? I have driven other cars with this problem and asking around some brake shops they say the usual crap like "duh what about new pads and rotors?" I know what worn brakes feel like, they are still linear and it shouldn't affect the pedal feel like that where you can't panic stop worth a damn.

Disc conversion ASAP. $800 for a complete bolt on kit or you can hunt parts for cheaper if you know what you're doing. I bought the kit...

The car came with drums, it stays with drums. They work fine for what she does

whatever, I had one panic stop in a 4500 c body with them. all new drums shoes etc. it took twice as far to stop as 4x4 pu.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tallhair

Now that's funny right there

Dust amuses you.........

Tell the truth Dave. You didn't really put much thought into that did you?

Upgrading the brakes is a good decision. Even for non performance driving, todays traffic and drivers are much different than when these were built originally.

Upgrading the brakes is a good decision. Even for non performance driving, todays traffic and drivers are much different than when these were built originally.

Yea, kinda seems like common sense to use the best safety equipment that is readily available. If you're gonna drive it on the street you should be able to make an emergency stop.

Yea, kinda seems like common sense to use the best safety equipment that is readily available. If you're gonna drive it on the street you should be able to make an emergency stop.

Especially on road trips through the mountains....

Never once have I come across a person who got into an accident because they had drum brakes. Not once........
I can see it if you're towing a 32' Airstream through the Rockies.

You could still do it with drums as long as you didn't ride the brakes and create too much heat and brake fade.

Some drum brake setups lock up unevenly especially but not only in wet weather leading to accidents by running in the ditch then etc. and just couldn*t get properly adjusted, there used to be some sort of campaign with car mags over here that lead to front disc brakes becoming more and more common.

..there used to be some sort of campaign with car mags over here that lead to front disc brakes becoming more and more common.
The mags that screamed the loudest were the sports car crowd from the likes of Road & Track who only got a hard on if it was British/European.
They were so into rallying and gynkhanas back then that to be part of the cool crowd you HAD to have disc brakes and a chronometer even though no one knew how to use a chronometer....

08-03-RT57.gif

La-de-effen-da wannabes. All of them

On the other hand the largest German publication which was full of journalists who were also good competition drivers did some very favorable reviews about V8 powered American cars, for example a very positive review of the 59 Impala including brakes and handling; on the other hand they refused to test a 4 wheel disc brake big block C2 Corvette as it was considered not fit for public traffic, possible it was a lemon car or an overstressed test car that already made the rounds with other publications.

Auto%20Motor%20Sport%2001_1959.jpg

Auto%20Motor%20Sport%2001_1959.jpg

Last edited:
Back