Bad Saturday Lament

1Fury1

Slab Side Slacker
Reaction score
After a complete nut and bolt resto, the Fury1, aka Willis Pearson has been on the road now for a month or so and 300 miles into it things just seemed to run better with every drive. Good oil pressure, temp sits steady at 180 all the time, clutch, shifting, braking, engine power, everything seemed to be coming along nicely, until yesterday.

It was a perfect sunny day and Willis was all shined up and ready for a show a few towns down the road. I had fixed a gas tank leak at the sender flange the day before, or thought I fixed it anyway. Put about 40 liters, 10 gal in the tank and set out for the show but then just before arriving there I just had this feeling I better pull over and have a look underneath before lining up beside all those other nice classics. Sure enough gas was streaming to the ground, worse than before. Quickly jumped in, told the wife to hold on, and swung a 180 headed for home about 35 miles back.

Then, making the last left turn for home there was a terrible bang bang bang sound coming from the rear end as I rounded the corner. I had noticed a slight sound like that one time before but not as severe. Then, on top of all that we got home and looking underneath noticed the right side exhaust header covered in oil at the bottom around the collector, with the source coming from the corner of the bell housing inspection cover.

So Willis is off the road. Pulling the gas tank to fix it right, check the rear diff for something broken or the sure grip not releasing on a left turn, and repairing what is likely to be a leaking rear main seal. Aarrrgh #@!(!&*&_

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

The joys of sorting out an old car project. Been there too many times.

Just be glad with a full tank of gas and a large fuel leak, it wasn't a lot worse. If you put in a new sending unit, be sure to throw away the metal seal ring that came with it. They are too thin (at lease on all the reproductions I have seen so far), and they will not seal properly and fuel WILL leak. Reuse the original one and you will be fine.

Hang in there, and in a little time, you will be enjoying your Fury fully.

The joys of sorting out an old car project. Been there too many times.

Just be glad with a full tank of gas and a large fuel leak, it wasn't a lot worse. If you put in a new sending unit, be sure to throw away the metal seal ring that came with it. They are too thin (at lease on all the reproductions I have seen so far), and they will not seal properly and fuel WILL leak. Reuse the original one and you will be fine.

Hang in there, and in a little time, you will be enjoying your Fury fully.

Yes that's why I thought it was fixed. Used the new seal ring the first time around and it leaked, then went back to old seal ring and the old gasket too because the new gasket was too big in diameter. Even used a sealing compound on both sides of the gasket. This is why I'm dropping the tank right out so I can see it better instead of laying on my back under the car.

No major disasters....just some minor setbacks and you'll be back on the road in no time.

That rear main can be a sonofabitch! Sorry to hear about the issues and keep us updated.

Keep looking "up" for the oil leak. Looks like you have a relocation kit there. That volume of oil is not a rear main. If it was, the clutch would be slipping by now too...
It's called "debugging", and most projects go through it. Patience and address them one at a time. Looks like a cool ride.

Keep looking "up" for the oil leak. Looks like you have a relocation kit there. That volume of oil is not a rear main. If it was, the clutch would be slipping by now too...
It's called "debugging", and most projects go through it. Patience and address them one at a time. Looks like a cool ride.

Good point, however I had a go around with the relocation plate the first time I turned the engine over and oil pressure came up. Leaked like crazy. Ended up having to chamfer out the inside of the plate a bit since it was rocking ever so slightly on the block and not allowing the outer oring to seat. Pretty sure that's not the issue this time since the source is the bell housing inspection plate.

Leaning toward a pan gasket but it's going on the hoist tomorrow so I'll update when I know more.

Just a follow up note as promised. Dropped the gas tank and fixed the leak at the sender hole once and for all. Used the old gasket and ring. It wasn't snugged down tight enough with me laying under the car trying to see through my scratched up bifocals.

Up front leak, what I thought was a rear main seal or pan gasket was actually a front transmission seal leaking into the bell housing. Fortunately the wind from the flywheel pushed the oil out the bottom an the clutch wasn't affected. Next endeavor will be pulling the tranny to fix that. Its an A833 4 speed that was completely rebuilt, but sat for 2 years waiting for the car to finish so the seal likely dried out.

Back