baked on vinyl top...glue cleanup

Was there any rust under the top with the roof painted?

not one bit. well, aside from the part that the vinyl degraded on the dutchman. lol

pics with the top freshly peeled...almost looks like it had a half top before the full top
DSC06821.JPG
DSC06837.JPG

DSC04409.JPG
DSC04414.JPG

So I finished up my glue removal today. I used Goof Off (the heavy duty one), some red shop rags, and a plastic scraper used for paint removal. The scraper was sharp enough to scrape up the glue once it was soaked in the Goof Off. It took several steps, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

GetFileAttachment.jpg
GetFileAttachment-1.jpg

IMG_6928.JPG

So I finished up my glue removal today. I used Goof Off (the heavy duty one), some red shop rags, and a plastic scraper used for paint removal. The scraper was sharp enough to scrape up the glue once it was soaked in the Goof Off. It took several steps, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

View attachment 108100 View attachment 108101

View attachment 108102

just make sure ALL the solvent is dissipated before you put anything over it...

Factory cars coded for a vinyl top were not painted on the roof. They were primed, and painted up the pillars a ways. But that's it. Primer is porous. So when moisture got under the top, the rust started. It's very common for vinyl roof cars to be much more rotted as a result. I would 2nd or 3rd the "paint the roof, then install". Even if it's rattle can or brushed on rustoleum - give the roof and trim holes some protection.

I have zero rust under my top. Only place rust started slightly was underneath the filler in the quarter seams. However, I may spray some single stage paint on there for a bit more protection. Thing is, I really don't have 2-3 months to wait for it to dry/cure. I suspect a light coat of single stage should be fine tho.

Back