Ball joint boots - '75 Monaco

Reaction score
All of my ball joints were in great shape, no replacement necessary. But the boots on the uppers were trashed, so they needed to be replaced. After exhaustive searches both online and at three local stores, I came to the conclusion that nobody makes aftermarket boots anywhere near big enough for these truck-sized ball joints. So I started looking around to see if I had anything that would work. Then I looked at the old torsion bar boots. I wonder... What do you know, these might work. So I ordered a new set of A/B/E body boots from an ebay seller. Some sellers list these as fitting the C bodies as well, but they are smaller - and exactly the right size for the ball joints. Even the holes are the right size for the taper studs.

Trim the flanges off of the boots - only mod necessary. C body boots at top, with grommets added to replace the worn area for reuse.
IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

Can't believe it was that easy. Nothing is ever that easy.

Looks like a good fit. I would like to see a follow up after a season of driving. Torsion bar boots don’t see the demands of flexibility that ball joints go through. I hope it works out for you, I hate to trash a good set of ball joints just because of a bad boot.

My lower boots were still good, so I didn't get into them. But they look to be the same size and shape as the torsion boots I added, so they would likely work down there too. Obviously, the torsion boots aren't swedged into the steel like the originals, but their inner rolled lip makes firm contact with the outer spherical area, so they should keep the greased areas nice and clean.

Last edited:
Back