Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

Looks like I need to raise the wheelwell opening about 4 inches. Not really any clue of the best way to do this....
That is quite a bit. Looks like your going to need to cut out a four inch section. Easier said than done, particularly with the way the wheel arch flare flows into the front details.

Do you still have the Dodge fenders around? Might be able to figure something out using their arches with the Chrysler fenders.

That is quite a bit. Looks like your going to need to cut out a four inch section. Easier said than done, particularly with the way the wheel arch flare flows into the front details.

Do you still have the Dodge fenders around? Might be able to figure something out using their arches with the Chrysler fenders.

After a considerable amount of time staring at it. I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. The body line that runs to the headlight area really can't be disturbed. A was thinking I could raise part of it and swoop it back down to the remainder running to the headlight, but I think that might just be goofy.

I do not have the 1959 Dodge nose. It was given back to the original owner to repair is restored but crashed 1959. I will have the crashed front end after he does the swap.

Might open another can of worms but would different rims with a different offset and narrower front tires reduce the amount of fab needed?

Might open another can of worms but would different rims with a different offset and narrower front tires reduce the amount of fab needed?
yup, thought about that and then I get into the aforementioned can-o-worms.. Clearing the calipers, turning radius, etc...

So, I went and talked to the best hot rod fab guy I know... He agreed with terminating the body line coming in from the headlight at the wheel arch. But, instead of cutting and trying to relocate the existing wheelwell 4 inches higher, take a piece of 1/2" square tube that I can bend and shape and make the new wheelwell lip. Cut the wheelwell arch front and rear where I want to extend upward and extend with 1/2 square tube. Then connect to existing sheet metal cut 4" up... simple (sort of...)

I aligned the fender to the door then ran a sting along the top of the door edge out the the fender. The most forward point in the fender is 1-2" lower than perfectly straight. I rolled it outside to eyeball the alignment. Even with the little droop, I think it still looks good. I also think the little droop matches the windshield slant a little better...

Brought it inside, tested the steering and could close up the gaps from what I had cut out first...

One more thing... "The front of this thing looks a little low Milner"...

Boris_Dorrs_aligned_side.jpg

Boris_Dorrs_aligned_Front.jpg

Boris_Outside_Dorrs_aligned_Side.jpg

Boris_Outside_Dorrs_aligned_Front2.jpg

Boris_Outside_Dorrs_aligned_Front.jpg

I wish I had that kind of vision and talent to pull something like this off.
Usually I'm not a fan of customs, but this is just too cool.

first cut.. (is the deepest lol)

even with curving the lip out like stock, I think I'll need more cutting...

First_Fender_cut.jpg

Both fenders chopped and the top, straight portion flared out similar to stock. Next up seeing if I can get them strapped onto the car enough to drive it a little nearby to check clearances.. Looking for a nicer left fender. Pics forthcoming..

Back