Battery cables

rv2

Reaction score
Are correct reproduction battery cables available for our cars?
Id like to replace the cables on my 73 Polara

There MIGHT be some B-body items in repro which might work, for some areas but not for all. Just have to look and see.

I can say from experience that the one advertised as 1970-1972 big block negative battery cable, from Mega Parts is too small of gauge and too short.

Yes, have to be careful as to the gauge of the wire, although it might look exactly correct, otherwise.

My car still has the original cables but unfortunately someone cut off the ends.

I asked MegaParts to reproduce the correct cables when they posted on Facebook what parts we want to see made….crickets.

I asked MegaParts to reproduce the correct cables when they posted on Facebook what parts we want to see made….crickets.

MegaParts gets the items that they sell from manufacturers so if the manufacturer or supplier doesn’t want to make a certain part, it’s beyond their control.

Another alternative is remove the old cables as a reference and go to a shop that can make your cables with proper cable ends and wrap.
Or wrap them up yourself with hockey tape.
Typically an armature shop that rebuilds alternators starters electric motor, etc. can make battery cables.
Did that back in the day before my cables were not available and went with zero guage ( kinda overkill but never melted!)
Hope this helps.

MegaParts gets the items that they sell from manufacturers so if the manufacturer or supplier doesn’t want to make a certain part, it’s beyond their control.
Obviously, but they asked directly what we as consumers want. I am aware they sell stuff from vendors, but clearly they have influence with their vendors, otherwise why bother asking?

Splicing tape is probably better than hockey tape. It valcanizes to itself and becomes pretty much a solid wrap of rubber. 3M makes one brand. It comes in a roll with a plastic ribbon between the layers. Should be available at any electrical supply company. If I can remember, I will get more info from a new roll in my shop. Lindsay

There is actually harness wrapping tape and there is fabric tape as well. Chrysler used both in various locations.

Obviously, but they asked directly what we as consumers want. I am aware they sell stuff from vendors, but clearly they have influence with their vendors, otherwise why bother asking?

Not all the time. Some suppliers have no interest in making C Body parts because they would sell 25 B Body battery cables for every one C Body battery cable.

I have observed the harness wrappiing tape as well as the fabric tape. Are these available, if so where? Thanks for the info! Lindsay

Type “wiring harness wrap tape” and “fabric electrical tape” in google and you will have more sources than you can imagine.

Back